• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grim milestone: 100,000 new cases in 1 day

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Worldometer reports we just had the first >100,000/day news cases in US.

ss1.jpg

Only 2 new deaths in my city this week so that means it is totally safe to go trick or treating.

There will be the usual posted comments that if you test more it's normal to see more cases. That's true, btw. What we're seeing, though, is more hospitalizations and deaths. Those are independent of the level of testing. You have to watch the sleight-of-hand of the trolls.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Reminder: I try to respond to all posts that quote mine. If I don't respond to your post, it may be that you've managed to make it to my 'ignore' list.

Worldometer reports we just had the first >100,000/day news cases in US.

View attachment 67302184

Worldometer is not 100% accurate however, that is a grim milestone and clearly shows that the pandemic is not under control even after 7 months. Sadly more people will die, more peoples livelihoods will be ruined and people just won't come or be allowed to come to the US.

Worldometer is not 100% accurate

I think it's quite accurate and main difference vs other aggregators is the cutoff timings, and some cases are assigned to a different day in different aggregators. Sometimes worldometers shows higher numbers, other times they do but overall numbers are quite close. At one point they diverged a little but since then the difference has been quite stable I believe, meaning they've been increasing numbers by roughly same amounts.

There will be the usual posted comments that if you test more it's normal to see more cases. That's true, btw. What we're seeing, though, is more hospitalizations and deaths. Those are independent of the level of testing. You have to watch the sleight-of-hand of the trolls.
er uh T, its not true, btw. Trump says its true. common sense tells you more testing is a response to more people getting it. Case in point, my wife is tested once a week. If she tests positive, everybody in the house will go get tested. Just in case common sense isn't good enough for you

What is really going on is a lot more infections, and we can see that in the fact that hospitalizations and deaths are also climbing. More testing wouldn't explain that," Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, said on "CBS This Morning" Monday. He noted that while testing in the U.S. has increased significantly since April and May, over the past month to six weeks testing has been "reasonably flat" or up just a little.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-covid-19-cases-testing/

In case you missed it, testing shot up at the beginning. Its been flat since then. and T, I find your post rather dishonest. You said you were here to " present a framework within which those interested can do their own digging and formulate their own opinions". Posting trump lies as fact is not a good "framework ."

er uh T, its not true, btw. Trump says its true. common sense tells you more testing is a response to more people getting it. Case in point, my wife is tested once a week. If she tests positive, everybody in the house will go get tested. Just in case common sense isn't good enough for you

What is really going on is a lot more infections, and we can see that in the fact that hospitalizations and deaths are also climbing. More testing wouldn't explain that," Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, said on "CBS This Morning" Monday. He noted that while testing in the U.S. has increased significantly since April and May, over the past month to six weeks testing has been "reasonably flat" or up just a little.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-covid-19-cases-testing/

In case you missed it, testing shot up at the beginning. Its been flat since then. and T, I find your post rather dishonest. You said you were here to " present a framework within which those interested can do their own digging and formulate their own opinions". Posting trump [sic] lies as fact is not a good "framework ."

Hi!

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. As far as 'common sense' [Ed.: Common sense tells us lots of stuff that's simply not true.] goes, let's say that tomorrow, throughout the entire United States of America, only 100 tests are performed for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The number of new cases that the testing would uncover? Now let's test at the 'normal' rate instead. The number of new cases that the testing would uncover? 'Nuf said. [Ed. Torus, technically, your example used a reductio ad adsurdum methodology as opposed to 'common sense'. Just sayin'.]

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3:" masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder: I try to respond to all those who quote one of my posts. If I don't respond to you, it may be because you've managed to make it onto my 'Ignore' list.

Last edited:
Fake news, The white house says trump has ended covid.

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. As far as 'common sense' [Ed.: Common sense tells us lots of stuff that's simply not true.] goes, let's say that tomorrow, throughout the entire United States of America, only 100 tests are performed for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The number of new cases that the testing would uncover? Now let's test at the 'normal' rate instead. The number of new cases that the testing would uncover? 'Nuf said. [Ed. Torus, technically, your example used a reductio ad adsurdum methodology as opposed to 'common sense'. Just sayin'.]
oh T, I'm so disappointed. You responded to me as if I only posted "common sense". I also posted an article that clearly stated testing rates are flat. When you ignore someone making a clear straight forward point and who backs it up, you are in no way even attempting to " present a framework within which those interested can do their own digging and formulate their own opinions". You're literally being dishonest. Lets keep track of your "framework" dishonesty.

Posted trump lies as fact
pretended I only posted common sense example
Pretended I didn't back up my point.

and not for nothing, I think having "pre determined limit on responses" is also a terrible "framework". sometimes complicated issues like trump's dishonest and incompetent response to the covid crisis require more than one or two posts to discuss. And we could talk for days how you don't hold trump accountable for his dishonest and incompetent response.

oh T, I'm so disappointed. You responded to me as if I only posted "common sense". I also posted an article that clearly stated testing rates are flat. When you ignore someone making a clear straight forward point and who backs it up, you are in no way even attempting to " present a framework within which those interested can do their own digging and formulate their own opinions". You're literally being dishonest. Lets keep track of your "framework" dishonesty.

Posted trump lies as fact
pretended I only posted common sense example
Pretended I didn't back up my point.

and not for nothing, I think having "pre determined limit on responses" is also a terrible "framework". sometimes complicated issues like trump's dishonest and incompetent response to the covid crisis require more than one or two posts to discuss. And we could talk for days how you don't hold trump accountable for his dishonest and incompetent response.

Hi!

This will be my last response to you. Thank you for your interest in what I post. The best to you and yours.

Reminder: I try to respond to all posts that quote mine. If I don't respond to your post, it may be that you've managed to make it to my 'ignore' list.

"It's totally under control".

This is not good timing of this latest surge for Trump. Biden should run adds showing the infections/hospitalizations/deaths all going up while in the backround we hear Trump saying "It's going away" "We are turning the corner".

Hi!

This will be my last response to you. Thank you for your interest in what I post. The best to you and yours.

oh T, that is not a response to me. Its you simply "cutting and running" from the discussion. Remember, you posted you try to " present a framework within which those interested can do their own digging and formulate their own opinions". Just like your dishonesty, your cutting and running is a terrible framework for that. Not so oddly, its the perfect framework if you were trying to push conservative narratives and not hold trump accountable for his dishonest and incompetent response to the covid crisis.

Only 2 new deaths in my city this week so that means it is totally safe to go trick or treating.

Yep, because those two (now) dead folks had posed the only real threat of local spreading of COVID-19. ;)

Perhaps not, but you have certainly ‘rounded the corner’ now that those two ‘super spreaders’ no longer pose a threat. ;)

They were in the nursing home like most of those old superspreaders so doubtful they would have trick or treated this year anyway.

I think it's quite accurate and main difference vs other aggregators is the cutoff timings, and some cases are assigned to a different day in different aggregators. Sometimes worldometers shows higher numbers, other times they do but overall numbers are quite close. At one point they diverged a little but since then the difference has been quite stable I believe, meaning they've been increasing numbers by roughly same amounts.

I am not denying they are mostly accurate. They do however rely on a collection of sources to confirm the daily case rates among other things, which are more often than not inaccurate. The specific CDC data is the most accurate and representative of the data sets available and is also user friendly and accessible.

I am not denying they are mostly accurate. They do however rely on a collection of sources to confirm the daily case rates among other things, which are more often than not inaccurate. The specific CDC data is the most accurate and representative of the data sets available and is also user friendly and accessible.

CDC data always runs weeks behind as they clearly state themselves. And they always catch up to other aggregators. Aggregators have more up-to-date data.

Back
Top Bottom