• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grim letter from Italy to a friend

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
March 19 at 10:59 PM
A message from my dad's friend in Italy, our hearts go out to you ❤️❤️❤️
Good to hear from you even if the motive for your message is The Apocalypse. Since this virus put Italy in the headlines I have got a raft of emails from people I don't hear from very often. I wish I didn't have to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid there isn't any good news. We are really in a war-time situation. I haven't got it yet, but I haven't opened my door to go out of the house in about a week. Neither has anyone else here in Combai. I know I'm gonna sound like a paranoid fear-mongerer, but this is some serious ****. In Bergamo, a small city of about 100,000 not far from here, they can't keep up with the deaths. The cemetery is full and the crematorium can't handle all the corpses. They've called in the military to transport the coffins out of town. I'm telling you this **** so you'll see how serious it is. You say people there in BC are starting to freak out. I guarantee you, you are not freaking out nearly enough. Italy is in the situation we are in because we didn't take it seriously and lock-down early on. In less than two weeks the infections here went from 20 to 15,000! Italy is the hardest hit place in Europe because our population is percentage-wise the oldest in Europe, and this virus gets old people first (of which I am one). Young people are dying also though. Now, all businesses, schools, every public place is shut down. Hospitals are completely full. There is no traffic on the streets. Only a few grocery stores are still open (the store in Combai was open last I checked), and are considered essential services, and the people who work there are emergency workers (and brave I might add). We are locked down. I know all this is very depressing news, but I have to tell it like it is.
You, personally, have got a problem — the store. I think Black Creek Farm and Feed will be considered an essential service. The positive aspect is that you have an opportunity to set an example for the rest of the community. Do this:
1. First of all, put up a big sign up outside the store saying that only 'x' amount of people are allowed in the store at a time (2 or 3 I would guess) and everyone must line up outside the store, keeping a distance of at least one metre between them. Do it today! I know this won't be easy, but it has to be done. We are doing this in Italy!
2. Wear rubber gloves and wash them off with hand sanitizer every time you make a transaction. I know you will think this is next to impossible, but the consequences of not doing it are worse. If there is a shortage of hand sanitizer, washing really good with soap works. We are doing this everywhere in Italy! If we can do it here you can do it in Canada!
3. If possible, wear a facemask. This has not proven to be 100% effective and hospitals need them much more than you do, so if there aren't enough to go around, do without so the hospitals and doctors can have them. The best thing about wearing a facemask is that it will let other people know that you are serious.
4. Don't let people hoard products from your store. You'll have to use your own judgment on this, but hoarding doesn't do any good. Everyone is just going to have to put up with some hardship for a while. Stay away from supermarkets and live on rice and beans. This is not hardship! Our grandparents lived like this. Dying is hardship. Toilet paper! Gimme a ****en break!!! I see the news on the innerweb about people fighting over toilet paper in the supermarkets. Never have I ever before understood how really ****ing ignorant and stupid human beings can be.
Try to encourage everyone to stay at home and not go out at all for any reason. If you wait for the government to tell you to do this, it will be too late. I'm sure you will get a lot of redneck Canadian responses to this, but if people don't take it seriously now, things will get worse and very soon. Tell them you have a friend in Italy who says not to complain about this because they can complain about it later from the cemetery.
Snip...
-Denny

Please share this.
Denny would want it.
I want it
Please give the rest of the world a chance

I had to cut part of the letter out as it was too long. Here is what I cut out.

The best thing I can tell you is that getting this virus isn't fatal. If you are in relatively good health it will be ****ty, but you won't die. You are lucky to have a good medical system in Canada, and we have a good system here in Italy also, but I'm sure you'll see very soon that it is far from perfect. The worst part is if you get this virus you have the potential to infect a lot of other people, and some of them will, in fact, die.

Gather your family around you and don't go out unless absolutely necessary. The place of the origin of this virus in China is winning against it because everyone takes this seriously and people haven't gone outside of their houses for the last two months. Do it! You can still take care of your animals. You can't get this virus from animals. You can get it from your neighbours.

I sincerely wish I didn't have to write a letter like this. I wrote a letter to Bayne only about a week ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. I hope the best for you and family and all my friends in Canada. Please, Steve, keep me informed about how it is going over there, and if you are in contact with any of my old friends tell them I am still alive and tell them how serious this is.

-

Speaking of Italy, easy to find are videos on line of Sicilians in apartment buildings singing and playing instruments together, plus a tenor in the north singing Nessun Dorma from his balcony. Makes you proud to be human.

For some reason, everyone forgot that the system of power in Italy is completely corrupt. Could this be the cause of the disaster? Yes. This is one of the main reasons .

For some reason, everyone forgot that the system of power in Italy is completely corrupt. Could this be the cause of the disaster? Yes. This is one of the main reasons .

For some reason so many did not ever know that competence and caring about the good matters.....

MODERN MORONS!

we used to be better

Which explains why we have issues here in the states. We have corrupt person for our president.

Back
Top Bottom