• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grilling

No it's not the same and that's why I like it. All the food in not infused with the taste of the fuel. I don't know why, but that stands out to me where others say it doesn't. I do like smoky flavors, but I like the versatility of adding it or not and then choosing the exact flavor as the food requires. I use applewood or hickory chips the most.

What have you tried so far?

What's your specialty? Ya gotta have a specialty. I was good at steaks, Dog.

Any tips on Brats? I have tried to like these thing but just cannot like them.

Gina;bt912 said:
No it's not the same and that's why I like it. All the food in not infused with the taste of the fuel. I don't know why, but that stands out to me where others say it doesn't. I do like smoky flavors, but I like the versatility of adding it or not and then choosing the exact flavor as the food requires. I use applewood or hickory chips the most.

What have you tried so far?

So far, only hot dogs and hamburgers.

I have an issue with undercooking my hamburgers just a bit. I think this may be because I'm not waiting long enough for the coals (I have a charcoal grill) to get to the right temperature. I also think I overcrowded the grill.

If I can get to the store this weekend, I'm gonna give steaks a go. I think first I'm going to cook a pack of hot dogs, since those are easier to tell when they're done. Then I'll cook the steaks when I'm sure the coals have gotten as hot as they can be.

When I cook hamburgers, I only flip them twice throughout the whole thing so they get cooked evenly. Also, I don't season them before I put them on the grill - seasoning them before putting them on the grill only dries out the meat as the salts in the seasoning absorb the juices.

Another thing I did was go to the store and pick up a small aluminum dish, like a small meat loaf tin. When I was finished cooking the meat I washed some mushrooms and put them in the aluminum pan and poured olive oil over the mushrooms inside it and put the pan on the grill to cook rather than do it on the stove top. I also cooked a pot of baked beans on the grill that way too. In fact, I got a pot that was all stainless steel - no plastic handle or anything else - so I could do this more often.

I cooked those, realizing that I had plenty of heat left over after cooking the meat and realized that I needed a side dish. So those are what I cooked - a pot of beans and some mushrooms using the heat left over from the coals.

If I really wanna go fancy, I can also cook sliced onions in a small tin that way too. I didn't then because I didn't have the time. I might also up the flavor by putting some garlic in the tins.

ElCid;bt913 said:
What's your specialty? Ya gotta have a specialty. I was good at steaks, Dog.

None yet. I've just started learning and doing it on my own.

Kali;bt914 said:

Well, if you don't like them then don't cook them.

As I understand it, brats are a bit difficult to grill. I know people who have tried to grill them, and they were cooked, but they weren't that good.

Rather, I think brats are better boiled or broiled. When you grill, the heat only goes to one side at a time, and the casings are closed. When you boil or broil brats, it gets heated on both sides at the same time so it gets cooked evenly.

If you want to grill something else, you could always try kielbasa or sausage. We used to eat kielbasa a lot when I was a kid, but I don't like it anymore. I do however like grilled sausages.

I live in fla and I grill all year round, but ive been grilling in spring summer and fall for years before I moved to fla..
I do it all on the grill, fish, steak, bbq ribs, vegetables and roasts including Prime Ribs....just remember to INDIRECT cook most things.....Roasts, chickens, ribs...turn off one side of the grills burners and turn on the opposite side you place the roast....heres a tip for you guys...I use many herbs and spices in cooking...but to simplify it for you for grilling go to this site and look at his magic seasonings....especially MEAT MAGIC, BLACKENED STEAK MAGIC, PORK and CHICKEN MAGIC...rub it in the meat by hand....

Home - Chef Paul Prudhomme

lpast;bt919 said:
I live in fla and I grill all year round, but ive been grilling in spring summer and fall for years before I moved to fla..
I do it all on the grill, fish, steak, bbq ribs, vegetables and roasts including Prime Ribs....just remember to INDIRECT cook most things.....Roasts, chickens, ribs...turn off one side of the grills burners and turn on the opposite side you place the roast....heres a tip for you guys...I use many herbs and spices in cooking...but to simplify it for you for grilling go to this site and look at his magic seasonings....especially MEAT MAGIC, BLACKENED STEAK MAGIC, PORK and CHICKEN MAGIC...rub it in the meat by hand....

How do you know when fish is done on the grill? How do you deal with it sticking? Thanks

lpast;bt919 said:

I use a charcoal grill, not a gas grill.

But thanks for the site about seasonings - I'll definitely check it out.

Bust old some cold ones, and get them steaks a sizzling, Dog. Hit it, and go hard.

samsmart;bt916 said:
So far, only hot dogs and hamburgers.

I have an issue with undercooking my hamburgers just a bit. I think this may be because I'm not waiting long enough for the coals (I have a charcoal grill) to get to the right temperature. I also think I overcrowded the grill.

If I can get to the store this weekend, I'm gonna give steaks a go. I think first I'm going to cook a pack of hot dogs, since those are easier to tell when they're done. Then I'll cook the steaks when I'm sure the coals have gotten as hot as they can be.

When I cook hamburgers, I only flip them twice throughout the whole thing so they get cooked evenly. Also, I don't season them before I put them on the grill - seasoning them before putting them on the grill only dries out the meat as the salts in the seasoning absorb the juices.

Another thing I did was go to the store and pick up a small aluminum dish, like a small meat loaf tin. When I was finished cooking the meat I washed some mushrooms and put them in the aluminum pan and poured olive oil over the mushrooms inside it and put the pan on the grill to cook rather than do it on the stove top. I also cooked a pot of baked beans on the grill that way too. In fact, I got a pot that was all stainless steel - no plastic handle or anything else - so I could do this more often.

I cooked those, realizing that I had plenty of heat left over after cooking the meat and realized that I needed a side dish. So those are what I cooked - a pot of beans and some mushrooms using the heat left over from the coals.

If I really wanna go fancy, I can also cook sliced onions in a small tin that way too. I didn't then because I didn't have the time. I might also up the flavor by putting some garlic in the tins.

How about adding bell peppers? I do that often. Did you add any spices? I like adding garlic powder, salt pepper, some lemon juice and a bit of balsamic vinegar.

Do you have a thermometer on the grill? It makes it easier to determine timing.

I agree, no seasoning on burgers, pre-cooking. It just sucks the juice out of the meat. Too dry.

Sounds like you're having a good time of it! Good luck Sam.

Last edited:
There I be, jus chill'n in da crib,
Drink'n co-cola, eat'n BBQ'd ribs.....................

Kali;bt914 said:

Try wrapping them in bacon and then dab on butter/oleo, and then sprinkle with brown sugar. Stick toothpicks thru the center of each on to keep them wrapped. Cook the length of time you normally would. After the juices all run together over the sausages the meat will have a slightly sweet carmelly taste toning down the meats flavor. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom