• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gretchen Whitmer vetoes three voter ID bills meant to tighten election security

And are they in every precinct proportionate to their population?
Answer to that is no! The proportion of drop boxes in Urban centres is far less than in rural areas.

What’s the point of reducing drop off boxes? And are they in every precinct proportionate to their population?
so they are supervised..I'm in Florida - we do the same thing supervised drop off ( stops ballot harvesting)
and our elections are clean and reported the day of the election because we count the absentee as they come in

so they are supervised..I'm in Florida - we do the same thing supervised drop off ( stops ballot harvesting)
and our elections are clean and reported the day of the election because we count the absentee as they come in
You didn’t answer any of my questions. I repeat: What’s the point of reducing drop off boxes? And are they in every precinct proportionate to their population? Were these boxes reduced in precincts known to vote Democrat?

You didn’t answer any of my questions. I repeat: What’s the point of reducing drop off boxes? And are they in every precinct proportionate to their population? Were these boxes reduced in precincts known to vote Democrat?
hell if I know. I gave you what I knew. and the reasons for reduced boxes is supervised drop boxes. The minutia you an find on your own
There is:
absentee
early voting
drop boxes
what more do you want?

hell if I know. I gave you what I knew. and the reasons for reduced boxes is supervised drop boxes. The minutia you an find on your own
There is:
absentee
early voting
drop boxes
what more do you want?
If the drop boxes were reduced solely in areas known to vote Democrat, then merely uttering the words “drop boxes!” doesn’t help your position at all. It does, in fact, entirely make my point.

If the drop boxes were reduced solely in areas known to vote Democrat, then merely uttering the words “drop boxes!” doesn’t help your position at all. It does, in fact, entirely make my point.
doubt they would do that - Governor doesnt mention it. but it's such a small point with numerous ways to vote

So what? A DL is easier to fake than a passport, which is why we don't use driver's licenses for international travel. Should everyone be required to show a passport? It's the best evidence we have of citizenship. So should everyone including those who never travel internationally be required by law to get a passport to vote? Why not?

If we really want to prevent fake IDs, let's put those TSA airport style ID readers in every poll place. Do volunteers, mostly old, have training in spotting fake DLs? No, so using unpaid, often elderly volunteers means it's easier to use a fake DL! Do you support buying TSA style readers for 10s of thousands of poll locations? Why not?

The point is, what's missing is a single example anywhere of anyone faking a college ID to vote, or a W-2, or a benefits card, or any of the other IDs that were on long lists that worked fabulously for decades in some states but that were changed to these short lists.

You artfully snipped the point of my post completely away. For starters, it's not about having "ID" but having ID on a deliberately very short list that excludes many forms of "ID" that poor city dwellers already possess. That's kind of key to the whole analysis, and was key to every lawsuit involving "voter ID." You're handwaving away the problem.

And no doubt you're a relatively prosperous person. What ID you have and show isn't relevant to someone who's poor and doesn't need a DL for anything, which is why they don't have one. They've never needed a state-issued photo ID of any kind and don't have them. I have a passport - should I therefore support efforts to require EVERYONE to have a passport, when I cannot show any benefit of that to preventing fraud at the polls?

And if the measures are intended to prevent fraud, how is that done if a voter can get around the requirements by voting absentee? We know that absentee voting is where almost all the still trivial cases of actual "voter" fraud take place, so you institute a bunch of restrictions where there is virtually NO FRAUD AT ALL ANYWHERE to drive them to the least secure voting method? How does that make sense if preventing "voter" fraud is the goal? It doesn't. It's irrational at every step.

Yeah, not going to argue with you, I already gave my opinion.

If a person is TRULY unable to get a freaking ID, if they are THAT out of it, and they cant simply go to the election board and vote that way by swearing an affidavit, then maybe they shouldn't really be voting anyway?

Anyone that thinks getting an ID is too difficult...well gosh thats harsh.

I leave you to your rather wordy opinion, which I am sure you'll probably offer again.

Have a great one!

doubt they would do that - Governor doesnt mention it. but it's such a small point with numerous ways to vote
Why do you doubt that?

Yeah, not going to argue with you, I already gave my opinion.

If a person is TRULY unable to get a freaking ID, if they are THAT out of it, and they cant simply go to the election board and vote that way by swearing an affidavit, then maybe they shouldn't really be voting anyway?
Why should they have to do this? What's the benefit of 'voter ID' if there's a simple workaround? Why impose voter ID requirements that serve no purpose you can identify?
Anyone that thinks getting an ID is too difficult...well gosh thats harsh.

I leave you to your rather wordy opinion, which I am sure you'll probably offer again.

Have a great one!
You've made arguments that make no sense, frankly, and ignore the many actual objections to "voter ID" as enacted. You ignore why the courts struck so many of them down, and it's in part because of reasons that you prefer to ignore rather than address with an argument. So if you care about the arguments against them, maybe read a court case or two, or listen to why we don't object to "voter ID" but how those laws work in actual reality.

BTW, it's pretty telling that pre-law change, Michigan had exactly the ID system you favor - ID or sign an affidavit. You didn't care enough to spend the 1 minute it takes to look up current rules. That's the problem in a nutshell - some of us actually care about what happens in actual practice versus just blindly supporting "voter ID" laws. The details matter.....

Last edited:
Republicans have a vested interest in voter suppression, and when that fails have a vested interest in being able to toss out the results in favor of results they want.

Anyone with an IQ above their shoe size should see what they are up to, with clear intention to put in place here something not that far removed from how Russia ensures an outcome.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer vetoed three bills Friday aimed at tightening voter ID laws in the highly competitive state.

Whitmer, a Democrat, said the trio of GOP-backed bills would have made it harder for people without state IDs to vote in the elections and that they largely affected people of color.
Lol, yeah there has been so much voter fraud, like a thousand cases or so...over the past thirty years. No state has proven anything near massive fraud yet so many are now tightening voter id laws for 'security' purposes. Tell me lies, tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies.

The truth is many poor people do not have an extra $10 plus transportation etc to get to a location that provides the State photo ID. When they get there they must provide
You must show proof of where you live. Documents must have your name and current address. You can show a digital copy of documents. Acceptable documents include:
  • Current utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck or government check
  • Other government document
I know you will say that is no big deal and for most of us it isn't but for many poor people it is. Let's face it there is a mentality that says some people just don't deserve to vote or can't be trusted to vote with integrity or we just plain don't like the way they vote and their reasons for voting

Could also be why many are not getting vaccinated. You need ID as far as I know to get the vaccine. State issued ID's, separate from driver licenses should be free.

Republican attempts at voter suppression are not a myth. This is beyond debate. However, if you prefer a different false reality, that's fine.
It is not a myth, it is a total falsehood. This is certainly beyond debate. I wish it were voter suppression because I think in a sane society no more then 30% of people would even be eligible to vote

The truth is many poor people do not have an extra $10 plus transportation etc to get to a location that provides the State photo ID. When they get there they must provide
You must show proof of where you live. Documents must have your name and current address. You can show a digital copy of documents. Acceptable documents include:
  • Current utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck or government check
  • Other government document
I know you will say that is no big deal and for most of us it isn't but for many poor people it is. Let's face it there is a mentality that says some people just don't deserve to vote or can't be trusted to vote with integrity or we just plain don't like the way they vote and their reasons for voting
It doesn’t take 10 dollars to ride the bus in any city in America I’ve been to.

And truthfully it’s not the state’s concern that someone cannot get themselves to the DMV office and pay the appropriate fees for a license. Life takes effort

It is not a myth, it is a total falsehood. This is certainly beyond debate. I wish it were voter suppression because I think in a sane society no more then 30% of people would even be eligible to vote
I'm sure that you do think that.

It doesn’t take 10 dollars to ride the bus in any city in America I’ve been to
The $10 is the cost of the ID. Transportation is on top.....and I checked the offices are only open during work hours so many would have to take time off work. Not onerous for most of us but it is for many. If a photo ID is a requirement to vote, and I think it should be, then a generic government ID should be free and easy to get.

voter ID is popular among minorities as well . They only reason to oppose it it to oppose election security
Voter ID has long been used to suppress voting rights. It's why TX allows gun licenses and not student id's.

Do you think he considers himself a part of that sane society?
I think that he would support most measures to give his side a permanent majority. That's just my opinion.

The $10 is the cost of the ID. Transportation is on top.....and I checked the offices are only open during work hours so many would have to take time off work. Not onerous for most of us but it is for many. If a photo ID is a requirement to vote, and I think it should be, then a generic government ID should be free and easy to get.
No, it shouldn’t.

It’s not the state’s job to baby you every step of the way for basic things like identification.

Voter ID has long been used to suppress voting rights. It's why TX allows gun licenses and not student id's.
Flogging on the liberal myth. Why then, has minority voting increase so much in the last 2 to 3 elections? Because of 'voter suppression'? 🤣

Why then, has minority voting increase so much in the last 2 to 3 elections?
Precisely what is causing the Republicans to act as they are in order to curb the trend.

Back
Top Bottom