• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gretchen Whitmer leads GOP's Dixon by 16 points in new poll

madman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Glad to see she's leading by a nice margin against a GQP extremist.

A new poll released by the Detroit Free Press finds that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer leads her opponent, Republican Tudor Dixon, by 16 points, 55 to 39% in the state's gubernatorial race.

Abortion has become a focal point in the race, the Free Press reported, as it rose to match inflation as a top issue for voters in the poll.

24% of respondents rate abortion as a top issue for themselves and an equal number of those surveyed — 24% — rate inflation as a top issue.

This comes as Whitmer and Democratic groups have hammered Dixon over her position on abortion since Dixon was selected as the Republican nominee in the state's August 2 primary.

Dixon opposes abortion, even in cases of rape. In a podcast interview, Dixon said, "A life is a life for me," and clarified that she didn't support exceptions to abortion bans, except when the life of the mother is at stake.

Gretchen Whitmer leads GOP's Dixon by 16 points in new poll​

It seems the left really does have an attraction for authoritarianism.

I wonder if Dixon will concede if she loses? Or if she will talk about how the polls had it wrong and so did the actual voters.
Do you really have to wonder??????? lmao

Gretchen Whitmer leads GOP's Dixon by 16 points in new poll​

It seems the left really does have an attraction for authoritarianism.
Huh? What do you mean?

Glad to see she's leading by a nice margin against a GQP extremist.

A new poll released by the Detroit Free Press finds that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer leads her opponent, Republican Tudor Dixon, by 16 points, 55 to 39% in the state's gubernatorial race.

Abortion has become a focal point in the race, the Free Press reported, as it rose to match inflation as a top issue for voters in the poll.

24% of respondents rate abortion as a top issue for themselves and an equal number of those surveyed — 24% — rate inflation as a top issue.

This comes as Whitmer and Democratic groups have hammered Dixon over her position on abortion since Dixon was selected as the Republican nominee in the state's August 2 primary.

Dixon opposes abortion, even in cases of rape. In a podcast interview, Dixon said, "A life is a life for me," and clarified that she didn't support exceptions to abortion bans, except when the life of the mother is at stake.
Add to that the poor quality of candidates along with extreme right and Trumpers the GOP has nominated, this isn’t only limited to Michigan. States that shouldn’t be in play along with other states that should be competitive, these poor quality general election candidates have cost the GOP their anticipated red wave which has turned into a red trickle if at that. The Democrats look certain to gain 3-4 governors, possibly 2-3 senate seats while limiting their losses in the house to somewhere between 14-16. All and all, this is turning out as a very good midterm for the democrat when 2 months ago, it was looking gloomy, dark, etc.

6ugx0t.jpg

If this poll is accurate, you’re getting to the point where republicans could lose the house and senate as well.
Democrats are gaining about 1.5 points per week in 538's odds. I don't think that's fast enough to get them to tossup territory by election day, let alone slightly edging out a win. The maps are just too brutal.

If this poll is accurate, you’re getting to the point where republicans could lose the house and senate as well.
Don’t get your hope up. The only reason big Gretch is ahead by such a large margin is because 1) Dixon is a lousy candidate . 2) big Gretch has a huge war chest of money and runs her attack adds 24/7. 3) Michigan always, always elects govs for two terms, never one.

I wonder if Dixon will concede if she loses? Or if she will talk about how the polls had it wrong and so did the actual voters.
Democrats call that "Pulling a Trump".

Republicans call that "pulling an Abrams"

The Democrats look certain to gain 3-4 governors, possibly 2-3 senate seats while limiting their losses in the house to somewhere between 14-16. All and all, this is turning out as a very good midterm for the democrat when 2 months ago, it was looking gloomy, dark, etc
Your comments are beginning to surprise me - and have now veered into the "wishful thinking" category IMO.
I have not been following governor races so I don't have an opinion there.

Control of the House still is and always has been in the GOP's favor. The numbers don't appear to be as favorable to the GOP as they once were, but I can't imagine you feel losing the House by fewer seats than was once expected - takes the scenario from "gloomy, dark" to much less "gloomy, dark". What is it you think those extra dozen House seats will do for the party in the minority? For example, the GOP is just barely in the minority right now and I'd say that has resulted in a "gloomy, dark" situation for the GOP for the last two years. Wouldn't you? The House minority is, well, the House minority when it comes to influence or success with their goals.

Then, moving to the Senate, I'm quite curious to know what 2-3 Senate seats you think the Dems might gain, taking into logical consideration the ones they might also lose? For now, it appears they'll pick up PA. Also now, it's increasingly looking like the current NV Senate momentum/direction is in favor of the GOP. Finally, GA is a tie right now, and the changes in that contest have also been in the GOP direction lately. Warnock had a pretty noticeable lead over Walker a few weeks ago. That lead is now gone. While I like these changes, they haven't yet given me confidence, although they have certainly given me hope. I can't see how any logical person could see the Senate chances of either party, as anything but a wash, for right now. I'd be curious to hear what states you think will comprise that possible Dem 52-53 seat outcome?

To directly address this thread topic, I think it quite likely Whitmer will win her race and I don't think that will be a surprising outcome.

sorry for your loss. Trumppies are losers!
Not my loss. I haven't lost anything. Also I'm not trumpy. I'm a human being.

Back
Top Bottom