• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gretchen Carlson of Fox News Files Suit Against Roger Ailes

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/b...ssment-lawsuit.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gretchen Carlson, the longtime Fox News anchor, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday saying that Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News, fired her from the network last month after she refused his sexual advances and complained to him about discriminatory treatment in the newsroom.
The nature of Ms. Carlson’s allegations immediately transfixed the world of television news, where Mr. Ailes is a hugely influential figure known for demanding absolute loyalty from his employees.
A spokeswoman for Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/b...ssment-lawsuit.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gretchen Carlson, the longtime Fox News anchor, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday saying that Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News, fired her from the network last month after she refused his sexual advances and complained to him about discriminatory treatment in the newsroom.
The nature of Ms. Carlson’s allegations immediately transfixed the world of television news, where Mr. Ailes is a hugely influential figure known for demanding absolute loyalty from his employees.
A spokeswoman for Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Personally, I think she's full of crap. FOX news has a history of hiring beautiful anchors and contributors. I don't think that's a crime but you can't tell me that if Ailes has this problem that this lady is the only victim and no one else has come forward. I think it's just sour grapes over being fired.

Damn ugly.

I tend to believe Gretchen. She's a fine Christian lady and I's sorry to see she's no longer with FOX News.

Hmmm this is interesting. I liked her, but I find it hard to believe that this is the first time ole Roger would have done this.. Need some proof to form an opinion one way or the other.

Tim-

Personally, I think she's full of crap. FOX news has a history of hiring beautiful anchors and contributors. I don't think that's a crime but you can't tell me that if Ailes has this problem that this lady is the only victim and no one else has come forward. I think it's just sour grapes over being fired.

LOL! Like you'd have the first clue about whether her claims are valid or not.

appears the problems began with douchey

quelle surprise

That's an interesting complaint but complaints are supposed to be interesting. I wonder why the complaint is citing a violation of NYC Human Rights law instead of federal labor law?

I don't know enough to form an opinion on whether she's being truthful or not, but it's not at all hard to understand why there aren't more cases. If she's telling the truth, then losing your career is the price of coming forward. Not only at Fox News but she might very well have a problem at other outlets. So it's rational to conclude others might have put up with it as the price of keeping their jobs, or even encouraged it as a way to advance their careers. We just don't know.

My wife went through something like this and I can attest that it's very traumatic, and deciding what to do is difficult. She essentially had to decide if the very real possibility of losing her job with this entity was worth making a formal complaint, when like here there was no sexual assault, and everything said was between the man and her, with no way to prove her case. Eventually she shared her story with the female (and that was significant) person in that division who was the reporting person for these kinds of allegations. Originally the issue was "solved" by separating them, and only when that didn't work did she move up the chain, and file a complaint. Luckily, that entity had a serious policy against sexual harassment, perhaps because the majority of their hires in a technical field were women, and things were resolved to her satisfaction. It helped that during the investigation others confirmed the basic story of this guy's behavior with women when given the chance to do so anonymously. But when making the leap, against a person FAR superior in rank, it's a helluva risky leap, and a difficult choice - your career in a he said/she said case. It's obviously FAR more risky and difficult when the person you're accusing is THE boss.

Hmmm this is interesting. I liked her, but I find it hard to believe that this is the first time ole Roger would have done this.. Need some proof to form an opinion one way or the other.

Tim-

That hasn't been alleged; in fact just the opposite.

I don't know enough to form an opinion on whether she's being truthful or not, but it's not at all hard to understand why there aren't more cases. If she's telling the truth, then losing your career is the price of coming forward. Not only at Fox News but she might very well have a problem at other outlets. So it's rational to conclude others might have put up with it as the price of keeping their jobs, or even encouraged it as a way to advance their careers. We just don't know.

My wife went through something like this and I can attest that it's very traumatic, and deciding what to do is difficult. She essentially had to decide if the very real possibility of losing her job with this entity was worth making a formal complaint, when like here there was no sexual assault, and everything said was between the man and her, with no way to prove her case. Eventually she shared her story with the female (and that was significant) person in that division who was the reporting person for these kinds of allegations. Originally the issue was "solved" by separating them, and only when that didn't work did she move up the chain, and file a complaint. Luckily, that entity had a serious policy against sexual harassment, perhaps because the majority of their hires in a technical field were women, and things were resolved to her satisfaction. It helped that during the investigation others confirmed the basic story of this guy's behavior with women when given the chance to do so anonymously. But when making the leap, against a person FAR superior in rank, it's a helluva risky leap, and a difficult choice - your career in a he said/she said case. It's obviously FAR more risky and difficult when the person you're accusing is THE boss.

Gretchen will easily get a job elsewhere, because her shows draw large audiences.

I saw this, there is enough bad blood and shadiness on her side to make these accusations at least require serious proof. I think she's angry over being fired.

I dont know how a network can report such a thing on its own network, being as how they are a defendant.

Just the announcement could probably be used against them.

Gretchen will easily get a job elsewhere, because her shows draw large audiences.

It's possible, but she and other women in that position cannot ever know that. How many friends does Ailes have in the business, and what do you think he's going to be telling anyone who will listen behind closed doors? He'll be trashing her up one side and down the other - edit to say, or at least that is a real risk, and it's male CEO to generally male CEO, so from the woman's perspective, who should she expect that new CEO to believe - his long time friend/associate or some low level reporter, past her prime in looks?

And I don't think any women will tell you they believe filing a complaint against the male boss is a good way to get those other jobs - I am pretty sure the opposite is true. If she doesn't prevail, there is always some doubt if she's not just bitter, or hyper sensitive, or a liar who makes things up when she doesn't get her way, or can't play well with men, etc. We've already seen her complaints dismissed on this thread, out of hand.

Last edited:
I dont know how a network can report such a thing on its own network, being as how they are a defendant.

Just the announcement could probably be used against them.

The network does not appear to be the defendant, Roger Ailes is.

Eww

I for one would not want Roger touching me. He is fat and fugly. Yuk!!

Even old guys need love. :3oops:

No problem with old here

Prefer my men do not look 8 months pregnant, he should pull himself away from the trough once in a while. Eww

Apparently she was let go after her contract expired on June 23. Would have lent more credence if she had filed while she was still under contract.

Back
Top Bottom