• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gretchen Carlson of Fox News Files Suit Against Roger Ailes

Apparently she was let go after her contract expired on June 23. Would have lent more credence if she had filed while she was still under contract.

Apparently she wasn't even fired then. Her contract ran out and they chose not to renew it.

Personally, I think she's full of crap. FOX news has a history of hiring beautiful anchors and contributors. I don't think that's a crime but you can't tell me that if Ailes has this problem that this lady is the only victim and no one else has come forward. I think it's just sour grapes over being fired.

Bill Cosby.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/b...ssment-lawsuit.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gretchen Carlson, the longtime Fox News anchor, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday saying that Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News, fired her from the network last month after she refused his sexual advances and complained to him about discriminatory treatment in the newsroom.
The nature of Ms. Carlson’s allegations immediately transfixed the world of television news, where Mr. Ailes is a hugely influential figure known for demanding absolute loyalty from his employees.
A spokeswoman for Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Not at all surprising, given the atmosphere that is reportedly prevalent at Fox.

I don't know enough to form an opinion on whether she's being truthful or not, but it's not at all hard to understand why there aren't more cases. If she's telling the truth, then losing your career is the price of coming forward. Not only at Fox News but she might very well have a problem at other outlets. So it's rational to conclude others might have put up with it as the price of keeping their jobs, or even encouraged it as a way to advance their careers. We just don't know.

My wife went through something like this and I can attest that it's very traumatic, and deciding what to do is difficult. She essentially had to decide if the very real possibility of losing her job with this entity was worth making a formal complaint, when like here there was no sexual assault, and everything said was between the man and her, with no way to prove her case. Eventually she shared her story with the female (and that was significant) person in that division who was the reporting person for these kinds of allegations. Originally the issue was "solved" by separating them, and only when that didn't work did she move up the chain, and file a complaint. Luckily, that entity had a serious policy against sexual harassment, perhaps because the majority of their hires in a technical field were women, and things were resolved to her satisfaction. It helped that during the investigation others confirmed the basic story of this guy's behavior with women when given the chance to do so anonymously. But when making the leap, against a person FAR superior in rank, it's a helluva risky leap, and a difficult choice - your career in a he said/she said case. It's obviously FAR more risky and difficult when the person you're accusing is THE boss.

This^^^.

I don't have enough information to form an opinion either. It's very possible she's angry at not having her contract renewed and is getting revenge. But if that is not the case and she's making a false allegation, she'll carry that baggage with her for a long time.

I'm glad it worked out for your wife. Kudos to her for standing up to it, but if she hadn't, it's understandable. Speaking up can have some very harsh consequences. Even if the woman is not forced to leave her job or fired, she might be ostracized or lose a chance for promotion. Things could get quite ugly.

Personally, I think she's full of crap. FOX news has a history of hiring beautiful anchors and contributors. I don't think that's a crime but you can't tell me that if Ailes has this problem that this lady is the only victim and no one else has come forward. I think it's just sour grapes over being fired.

You would make a terrible investigator. I've had to investigate many sexual harassment complaints. When you make up your mind before knowing things, you have already messed up your investigations. That being said, I've read plenty about Ailes, this doesn't surprise me....but lets let the suit go through before we decide on if she is full of crap.

Apparently she was let go after her contract expired on June 23. Would have lent more credence if she had filed while she was still under contract.

makes you wonder, though. if the articles on this are to be believed, her show often won the ratings for its time slot. seems odd that the contract wasn't renewed.

You would make a terrible investigator. I've had to investigate many sexual harassment complaints. When you make up your mind before knowing things, you have already messed up your investigations. That being said, I've read plenty about Ailes, this doesn't surprise me....but lets let the suit go through before we decide on if she is full of crap.

He works for the FBI and currently has the super secret goods on the Lynch Clinton meeting, don't you dare lecture him on investigations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/b...ssment-lawsuit.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gretchen Carlson, the longtime Fox News anchor, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday saying that Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News, fired her from the network last month after she refused his sexual advances and complained to him about discriminatory treatment in the newsroom.
The nature of Ms. Carlson’s allegations immediately transfixed the world of television news, where Mr. Ailes is a hugely influential figure known for demanding absolute loyalty from his employees.
A spokeswoman for Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I think it's likely she's telling the truth. This should get interesting.

Oh, look:

Gretchen Carlson’s lawyers contacted by 10 women after Roger Ailes suit: CNN

Attorneys for former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson were contacted by 10 women in the wake of their lawsuit against the network’s CEO, Roger Ailes, CNN’s Brian Stelter reported on Wednesday afternoon.

“I just spoke with one of the attorneys involved in Carlson’s suit,” Stelter said in video posted by Media Matters, adding that the women reached out “because they say they also have stories to share about treatment by Roger Ailes.”

I predict, "Gretchen Carlson settles for an undisclosed amount".

But what was the premise of the thread? To form an opinion that Ailes was guilty before knowing anything.

Was waiting to see how long it would take for people to start personally attacking the victim. 128 nanoseconds. This is a world record. :mrgreen:

But what was the premise of the thread? To form an opinion that Ailes was guilty before knowing anything.

Actually the OP sets the premise of the thread. I don't see her posting anything in either direction.

How do people who have no knowledge of a case always manage to arrive at a conclusion with absolute certainty?

Was waiting to see how long it would take for people to start personally attacking the victim. 128 nanoseconds. This is a world record. :mrgreen:

First, we don't actually know she was a victim, that's just an assumption. Second, it was Ailes who was attacked.

How do people who have no knowledge of a case always manage to arrive at a conclusion with absolute certainty?

I said I *THINK* she's full of crap and that I *THINK* it's just sour grapes over being fired. Where does that come off as me saying that she is full of crap or that it is sour grapes over being fired? Liberals only hear what they want to hear. Where is your response to all of those in the thread who have hung Ailes based only on an accusation?

Please show me where I implied anything close to absolute certainty?

First, we don't actually know she was a victim, that's just an assumption. Second, it was Ailes who was attacked.

Ah yes, go after a little justice by filing a lawsuit, and you are a monster for attacking the person you are suing. This is quite a laughable concept. This is the exact same thing that unscrupulous defense attorneys do to rape victims. Defend the monster rapist by making the victim out to be a monster. Next thing you know, you will be telling us that Gretchen deserved the treatment she got because..... Insert one of the following (the way she was dressed, she came on to him, she flirted with him, she's just a whore)

Back
Top Bottom