• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greg Abbott's lead over Beto O'Rourke has shrunk to 5 points, new poll shows

I am in favor of consecutive term limits. What I mean by that is anyone can serve as many terms in office as they can win, but they can not be consecutive. You must leave office for a term and run for re-election. If a state wants to vote in a candidate every other election cycle fine but they can not serve back to back terms
What purpose does that serve exactly?

What purpose does that serve exactly?
It prevents someone from perpetually campaigning like we see in The House. It would help prevent lobbying groups from having so much influence every election you gotta start over. It would insure each election has a certain amount of turn over with new faces and ideas. It stops people from voting for the guy we always voted for even though we don’t really know much about him, he’s just always been our guy

It prevents someone from perpetually campaigning like we see in The House. It would help prevent lobbying groups from having so much influence every election you gotta start over. It would insure each election has a certain amount of turn over with new faces and ideas. It stops people from voting for the guy we always voted for even though we don’t really know much about him, he’s just always been our guy
Except that doesn't work, presidential term limits are evidence of that. As long as party politics are a thing it doesn't matter. And politicians in the US are cheap to buy, doesn't really matter the turnover, they will always find someone to buy.

I would go further one and done for ten years after service is completed be employed or elected by the government with a limit of 10years consequtive or the office term whichever is shorter.
That's up to the people of the state. It's very rare that a Texas Governor goes three terms, and hasn't been an issue.

I would be more in favor of addressing this issue in congress, where politicians get entrenched (and enriched) for decades. They stopped representing their constituents long ago. It would also be nice to expand the house so that it's more representative, but that's a conversation for another day.

That's up to the people of the state. It's very rare that a Texas Governor goes three terms, and hasn't been an issue.

I would be more in favor of addressing this issue in congress, where politicians get entrenched (and enriched) for decades. They stopped representing their constituents long ago. It would also be nice to expand the house so that it's more representative, but that's a conversation for another day.
I totally agree in addressing the issue in Congress.
I'd like to see their service be voluntary or maybe $5000 per year, and not becoming a "career".

Why is it wrong? Every term is limited to 4 years. The guy has to be RE-elected.

Now, certainly there are reasonable things that could and should be done to lessen the advantage of incumbency. But if you have someone good and capable in office (Abbott isn't, in my opinion), let them be elected for as many terms as people want.
No term limit means (to me) that he can run for the rest of his life (if re-elected each time) and maintain his position forever.

am i misunderstanding this?

No term limit means (to me) that he can run for the rest of his life (if re-elected each time) and maintain his position forever.

am i misunderstanding this?
That would technically be possible.

Maybe people in Austin. He's an empty suit, with no policy or real record.

You mean to say he has never held a public office job before when that obviously is not true?

You mean to say he has never held a public office job before when that obviously is not true?
No, I didn't say that, or 'mean to say' that.

He did manage to get elected to congress. He's never had any executive experience, and has never led any group larger than that office. No real experience at anything beyond running for office. No real policy leadership. His platform is always a lot of 'we can do better!' 'Put people first!' platitudes with no substantive proposals.

And let's be honest - he's running for governor for the same reason he ran for senator 4 years ago. To draw in attention/fundraising, and help the down ballot races.

I don't believe it.

Beto is utterly unqualified for the office, and isn't well liked. He has no real platform or policies. He has a cult like following, that's very vocal.
And he would probably be nowhere, if not for Abbott's "heartbeat" problem. Way to go, Dumbass!

The ERCOT horror really hurt him. A qualified Dem candidate would be pounding him now.

Abbott widened his lead to nine points. This doesn't look good for Beto.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) has widened his lead to 9 percentage points over his Democratic challenger, Beto O’Rourke, according to a new poll released on Monday by The Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler.

The poll found that Abbott garnered the support of 47 percent of respondents, compared to 38 percent who indicated support for O’Rourke.

The same pollster recorded a 7-point lead for Abbott roughly a month earlier.

In the latest poll, Abbott and O’Rourke are nearly tied among independents, with O’Rourke edging out a 1 percentage point lead.

Abbott clocked in with a slight lead among women, receiving 44 percent support compared to O’Rourke’s 42 percent. Abbott also recorded a 10 percentage point lead among parents.

Beto O'Rourke is inching closer to Gov. Greg Abbott in the marquee Texas election matchup this fall, according to a poll released Wednesday by the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas.

The Democrat from El Paso slightly trails Abbott, a Republican who is seeking a third term, by 5 percentage points among registered voters. Abbott held a 6-point edge in June in the last UT poll.

Abbott had been 10-11 points ahead of O'Rourke earlier this year. Meanwhile, other recent polls indicate Abbott holding a 7% lead.

The O'Rourke campaign touted the poll as a sign of momentum in a Wednesday news release. "Beto continues to cut Greg Abbott's lead, closing the gap by six points since the spring while Abbott's support failed to budge a single point over the summer, a notable weakness for an incumbent who sits well below 50%," the campaign said in the release.

Rut roo!!!

Come on Beto!!
I hope the newly registered folk can cover that 5% and then some.

Back
Top Bottom