• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greg Abbott's lead over Beto O'Rourke has shrunk to 5 points, new poll shows

madman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Beto O'Rourke is inching closer to Gov. Greg Abbott in the marquee Texas election matchup this fall, according to a poll released Wednesday by the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas.

The Democrat from El Paso slightly trails Abbott, a Republican who is seeking a third term, by 5 percentage points among registered voters. Abbott held a 6-point edge in June in the last UT poll.

Abbott had been 10-11 points ahead of O'Rourke earlier this year. Meanwhile, other recent polls indicate Abbott holding a 7% lead.

The O'Rourke campaign touted the poll as a sign of momentum in a Wednesday news release. "Beto continues to cut Greg Abbott's lead, closing the gap by six points since the spring while Abbott's support failed to budge a single point over the summer, a notable weakness for an incumbent who sits well below 50%," the campaign said in the release.

Rut roo!!!

Come on Beto!!

How in the world is Greg Abbott allowed to run for a third term? That is the real problem here. Beto O'Rourke should be running against someone else.

How in the world is Greg Abbott allowed to run for a third term? That is the real problem here. Beto O'Rourke should be running against someone else.
i had to look it up

Governor of Texas
Term lengthFour years, no term limit

that's wrong!@!!! L or R, it's wrong

That is very wrong. Apparently the people who wanted term limits on the presidency were not from Texas.

Beto O'Rourke is inching closer to Gov. Greg Abbott in the marquee Texas election matchup this fall, according to a poll released Wednesday by the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas.

The Democrat from El Paso slightly trails Abbott, a Republican who is seeking a third term, by 5 percentage points among registered voters. Abbott held a 6-point edge in June in the last UT poll.

Abbott had been 10-11 points ahead of O'Rourke earlier this year. Meanwhile, other recent polls indicate Abbott holding a 7% lead.

The O'Rourke campaign touted the poll as a sign of momentum in a Wednesday news release. "Beto continues to cut Greg Abbott's lead, closing the gap by six points since the spring while Abbott's support failed to budge a single point over the summer, a notable weakness for an incumbent who sits well below 50%," the campaign said in the release.

Rut roo!!!

Come on Beto!!
I don't believe it.

Beto is utterly unqualified for the office, and isn't well liked. He has no real platform or policies. He has a cult like following, that's very vocal.

Rut roo!!!

Come on Beto!!ly
Texas enacted an idiotic abortion law which gives standing to anyone in court..... I can sue anyone that I knew had an abortion, even though I am not a harmed party (being a harmed party is the traditional standard for a right to sue .... not in Texas). This could be Abbott's big mistake...

Abortion is currently the 2nd biggest issue on voter's minds and Texas has gone over the top on the issue. See Kansas for a better understanding of the hidden vote on this subject. The under thirty vote was 24% of the electorate, compared to 14%, which is normal. New voter registration among woman was at a non-presidential election year high. Nonetheless, the pre-election polling did not see this coming.

The interesting thing for 2022 is the polling. Election polling consists of a preference model (which candidate do you prefer) and a turnout model (who will actually turn out to vote). The preference model is easy; but the abortion issue, as we learned in Kansas, may mean the turnout model is not correct. Hence, a good argument could be made, Greg Abbott, the objects in your mirror are closer then they appear...... (then again, Texas also leads the nation in its voter suppression efforts, so what dynamic will prevail?)

I don't believe it.

Beto is utterly unqualified for the office, and isn't well liked. He has no real platform or policies. He has a cult like following, that's very vocal.
obviously, people are listening to him.

There is absolutely no way Texas is electing Beto O'Rourke as governor. It's more likely that Abbott wins by double digits than Beto wins at all.

Texas has been a burgundy state for decades, but somehow Beto got a federal job before running for president.

I mean what exactly is wrong with running for more than 1 or 2 terms as long as the person running gets the support of the people? Term limits won't fix Texas's bad decision to vote Republican.

I'm voting for him but not betting money. His only path is to tap into the energy seen in Kansas voters with a single issue vote.

My main concern as a resident is that if Beto wins the rednecks and good ole boys around here will stage their own J6, complete with bogus claims and ninja turtles. If Beto wins the qstorm here will go 5 shades Arizona. They're the ones who wanted to secede, remember 😕

There is absolutely no way in hell Texas is electing Beto O'Rourke as governor. It's more likely that Abbott wins by double digits than Beto wins at all.

I have to agree. I've twice been inhaling the hopium that Texas would turn blue and each time, statewide races end up in red-state blowouts.

I have to agree. I've twice been inhaling the hopium that Texas would turn blue and each time, statewide races end up in red-state blowouts.
Yup. Beto lost to Ted Cruz in 2018...in a much more Democratic year than 2022, against a much weaker opponent than Abbott, when Beto himself was in a stronger position (since he hadn't made a terrible presidential run yet).

I mean what exactly is wrong with running for more than 1 or 2 terms as long as the person running gets the support of the people? Term limits won't fix Texas's bad decision to vote Republican.

Explain why the Constitution now prevents second-term presidents from running for re-election. There had to be a very good reason for it.

There is absolutely no way in hell Texas is electing Beto O'Rourke as governor. It's more likely that Abbott wins by double digits than Beto wins at all.
Yeah, 'cuz Beto lied from the outset to Uvelde parents, protected cops and public safety administrators who lied to those grieving parents instead of kids who still have to attend school after handgun permitting was eliminated.

Explain why the Constitution now prevents second-term presidents from running for re-election. There had to be a very good reason for it.
22nd Amendment was ratified, limiting the number of terms served by the President. The move ended a controversy over Franklin Roosevelt's four elected terms to the White House.

Inclined to agree. This is the same state that repeatedly sends Fled Cruz to DC. If they love that sniveling Trump cuck that much, there's no way they allow anything better to represent them.

i had to look it up

Governor of Texas
Term lengthFour years, no term limit

that's wrong!@!!! L or R, it's wrong
Why is it wrong? Every term is limited to 4 years. The guy has to be RE-elected.

Now, certainly there are reasonable things that could and should be done to lessen the advantage of incumbency. But if you have someone good and capable in office (Abbott isn't, in my opinion), let them be elected for as many terms as people want.

I am in favor of consecutive term limits. What I mean by that is anyone can serve as many terms in office as they can win, but they can not be consecutive. You must leave office for a term and run for re-election. If a state wants to vote in a candidate every other election cycle fine but they can not serve back to back terms

Independent polling here shows a 7-9 point lead for Abbott. John O Rourke is a darling of the coastal elites, but here, not so much.

I don't believe it.

Exactly. His "we're going to take your guns" statement ended ANY political career he had in Texas.

I am in favor of consecutive term limits. What I mean by that is anyone can serve as many terms in office as they can win, but they can not be consecutive. You must leave office for a term and run for re-election. If a state wants to vote in a candidate every other election cycle fine but they can not serve back to back terms
I would go further one and done for ten years after service is completed be employed or elected by the government with a limit of 10years consequtive or the office term whichever is shorter.

Back
Top Bottom