• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greenland’s Melting Ice Nears a ‘Tipping Point,’

Greenland has been warm before.

[FONT=&][/FONT]
Study shows that Vikings enjoyed a warmer Greenland

[FONT=&]Public Release: 6-Feb-2019 Study shows that Vikings enjoyed a warmer Greenland Chemistry of bugs trapped in ancient lake sediment shows a warm climate at a key time in Greenland’s history Northwestern University EVANSTON, Ill. — A new study may resolve an old debate about how tough the Vikings actually were. Although TV and movies…
[/FONT]

I guess you threw in the towel on this thread. Raised the white flag. You started out refuting that the melting was occurring. Then you started talking about other reasons for the melting. And now you are saying it's OK if Greenland has a tropical climate.

I guess you threw in the towel on this thread. Raised the white flag. You started out refuting that the melting was occurring. Then you started talking about other reasons for the melting. And now you are saying it's OK if Greenland has a tropical climate.

So the information that past temperatures in Greenland did not result in the whole thing melting away, or indeed any significant sea level rise that flooded any cities, does not cause you to think at all?

Well, no. All those arguments remain available and effective. It does not matter that they are not always consistent because I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just providing all the many reasons why the OP claim is ridiculous.

More irrefutable evidence that we have a real problem.

From your snippet:

"Greenland’s enormous ice sheet is melting at such an accelerated rate that it may have reached a “tipping point,” and could become a major factor in sea-level rise around the world within two decades, scientists said in a study published on Monday."

Highlighted are the words that make this post meaningless.

From your snippet:

"Greenland’s enormous ice sheet is melting at such an accelerated rate that it may have reached a “tipping point,” and could become a major factor in sea-level rise around the world within two decades, scientists said in a study published on Monday."

He loves those doom and gloom fantasies.

More critique from deniers who obviously haven't even read the article. Here is the source article than the New York Time referenced.

Accelerating changes in ice mass within Greenland, and the ice sheet’s sensitivity to atmospheric forcing | PNAS

The recent deglaciation of Greenland is a response to both oceanic and atmospheric forcings. From 2000 to 2010, ice loss was concentrated in the southeast and northwest margins of the ice sheet, in large part due to the increasing discharge of marine-terminating outlet glaciers, emphasizing the importance of oceanic forcing. However, the largest sustained (∼10 years) acceleration detected by Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) occurred in southwest Greenland, an area largely devoid of such glaciers. The sustained acceleration and the subsequent, abrupt, and even stronger deceleration were mostly driven by changes in air temperature and solar radiation. Continued atmospheric warming will lead to southwest Greenland becoming a major contributor to sea level rise.

You can't have a tropical environment without being on the tropic line, dude. Greenland is nowhere near the tropic line.

From your snippet:

I would include 'tipping point' in that list.

Well, no. All those arguments remain available and effective. It does not matter that they are not always consistent because I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just providing all the many reasons why the OP claim is ridiculous.

Yeah, you are quite the scientist:roll: You got it covered on all ends. If the ice isn't melting, you got it covered. If the ice is melting, you got it covered, because you say it's not climate change. If the ice is melting, and it's due to climate change, you got it covered, because warmer weather would be good for Greenland. :applaud

Yeah, you are quite the scientist:roll: You got it covered on all ends. If the ice isn't melting, you got it covered. If the ice is melting, you got it covered, because you say it's not climate change. If the ice is melting, and it's due to climate change, you got it covered, because warmer weather would be good for Greenland. :applaud

As I said, the OP claim is ridiculous for many reasons.

Jack is invested in creating doubt and it really does not matter how he does it.

6f5b64c997206cb52ff18a239e3079cb.jpg

Re: Greenland’s Melting Ice Nears a ‘Tipping Point,’

Yes, climate changes and that's a good thing.

Greenland once had thick forests:

Ancient Greenland was green. New Danish research has shown that it was covered in conifer forest and, like southern Sweden today, had a relatively mild climate. Eske Willerslev, a professor at Copenhagen University, has analysed the world's oldest DNA, preserved under the kilometre-thick icecap. The DNA is likely close to half a million years old, and the research is painting a picture which is overturning all previous assumptions about biological life and the climate in Greenland

Fossil DNA Proves Greenland Once Had Lush Forests; Ice Sheet Is Surprisingly Stable -- ScienceDaily

And half of North America was once covered with ice two miles thick:

Glaciers covered us completely, not long ago...
The clay and sandy, gravelly and bouldery materials that cover the Keweenaw and Isle Royale are the result of climate conditions in the Pleistocene, which ended about 10,000 years ago. These deposits are gifts for building materials and were only interpreted as glacial deposits in the 1800s, because the glaciers have mainly disappeared from North America. Realization that climates have changed enough in such a short time to have resulted in withdrawal of a two mile thick ice covering for half of our whole continent was mind blowing. This section of our web materials on the Keweenaw and Isle Royale considers the causes and implications of this great discovery and the evidence that geologists assembled--evidence that can still be seen in the field sites.....

Glaciers

Jack is invested in creating doubt and it really does not matter how he does it.

My #53 repeated:

My #53 repeated:

Not really but that is not the point is it? It's called throwing **** at a wall and hoping some of it will stick.

My #53 repeated:

Yes the many reasons - all false reasoning, not backed by one major Scientific organization.

Yes the many reasons - all false reasoning, not backed by one major Scientific organization.

Amazing. I haven't been to this thread in...weeks? but yet I see all of the exact same silly arguments being presented in the same desperate attempt to deny the obvious.

Really?

“Medieval warmth confirmed at the Norse Eastern Settlement in Greenland” was supported by the National Science Foundation Polar Programs CAREER Award (number 1454734).

From the link at #50.

Really?

[FONT=&quot]WOODS HOLE OCEANOGRAPHIC INSTITUTION[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scientists have known for years that warming global climate is melting the Greenland Ice Sheet, the second largest ice sheet in the world. A new study from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), however, shows that the rate of melting might be temporarily increased or decreased by two existing climate patterns: the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), and the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO).

From #6.[/FONT]

Really?

[FONT="]WOODS HOLE OCEANOGRAPHIC INSTITUTION[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#404040][FONT="]Scientists have known for years that warming global climate is melting the Greenland Ice Sheet, the second largest ice sheet in the world. A new study from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), however, shows that the rate of melting might be temporarily increased or decreased by two existing climate patterns: the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), and the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO).

From #6.[/FONT]

I'm not going to spend time looking at your organizations. Usually, when you quote from Scientists, it turns out that they are actually man-made climate change advocates. But you usually grab some sensationalist headline from the high schooler Watts, with your disassociated link. When your deception is called out, you simply dismiss it. You are tasked with the chore of explaining who these organizations are, and what their underlying viewpoints are... There's only two of them - it shouldn't be hard. After all, you quoted from them.

He loves those doom and gloom fantasies.

Doom and gloom seems to be the thing that drives the political left in the US.

They never point to what is actually happening. They point at something that never did happen and never could happen and say they need help to prevent it.

The prediction of dire consequence is their only play in a one page play book that they run all the time. Is it possible they don't see this?

It gets very tiresome but seems to be as entertaining to the liberals as a dangling string is to a fuzzy little kitten.

Similar attention span levels?

From your snippet:

I have been hearing that greenland would melt in 20 years for 45 years. It never does. Just fear mongering left doing what they do best. Even better, they are so worried about this that Al Gore heats his gigantic homes and swimming pools with fossil fuel even when he isnt there and Leonardo Dicaprio takes private jets to fly everywhere using more fuel in one two hour flight than most families use to heat theiir homes in a year. The board leftists here are so concerned about it that they waste electricity posting inane things on internet forums all day. Seems its a problem for us but not them.

Real scientific articles - one after another - seems most of the world is listening, other than the Oil Industry funded deniers.

The Claim is that CO2 is the PRIMARY cause of global warming and that we must act now to stop the various calamities this increased warming will cause by reducing CO2 concentrations.

However, the globe has been much, much warmer in the last half million year and even within this interglacial at much, much lower concentrations of CO2.

How does your understanding of this problem reconcile this obvious and glaring contradiction?

The last four glacial periods and interglacial periods are shown in the diagram below (Fig.2), covering the last 420,000 years in Earth's climatic history.

VostokTemp0-420000%20BP.gif

Fig.2. Reconstructed global temperature over the past 420,000 years based on the Vostok ice core from the Antarctica (Petit et al. 2001). The record spans over four glacial periods and five interglacials, including the present. The horizontal line indicates the modern temperature. The red square to the right indicates the time interval shown in greater detail in the following figure.

I think what he is pointing out is that people claiming they can control the climate is just silly.

More critique from deniers who obviously haven't even read the article. Here is the source article than the New York Time referenced.

Accelerating changes in ice mass within Greenland, and the ice sheet’s sensitivity to atmospheric forcing | PNAS

The recent deglaciation of Greenland is a response to both oceanic and atmospheric forcings. From 2000 to 2010, ice loss was concentrated in the southeast and northwest margins of the ice sheet, in large part due to the increasing discharge of marine-terminating outlet glaciers, emphasizing the importance of oceanic forcing. However, the largest sustained (∼10 years) acceleration detected by Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) occurred in southwest Greenland, an area largely devoid of such glaciers. The sustained acceleration and the subsequent, abrupt, and even stronger deceleration were mostly driven by changes in air temperature and solar radiation. Continued atmospheric warming will lead to southwest Greenland becoming a major contributor to sea level rise.

So it is slowly returning to a point of deglaciation most recently observed 600 years before the widespread use of Fossil Fuels?

Interesting that we are returning to Climate normality again. Finally!

Back
Top Bottom