• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greenhouse Gas Emissions Accelerate Like a ‘Speeding Freight Train’ in 2018

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Dec. 5, 2018

Greenhouse gas emissions worldwide are growing at an accelerating pace this year, researchers said Wednesday, putting the world on track to face some of the most severe consequences of global warming sooner than expected.
Scientists described the quickening rate of carbon dioxide emissions in stark terms, comparing it to a “speeding freight train” and laying part of the blame on an unexpected surge in the appetite for oil as people around the world not only buy more cars but also drive them farther than in the past — more than offsetting any gains from the spread of electric vehicles.

“We’ve seen oil use go up five years in a row,” said Rob Jackson, a professor of earth system science at Stanford and an author of one of two studies published Wednesday. “That’s really surprising.”

And yet, we will soon here the climate change deniers chime in -- "there is nothing we can do"; "but the economy"; "it's all nature not man."

The fact is that the time to act is upon us and if we don't, it may be the end of civilization.

I hear Bernie Sanders racked up $300,000 in private jet costs just last month. If only those damned climate deniers could be more like climate-loving Bernie.

Dec. 5, 2018

And yet, we will soon here the climate change deniers chime in -- "there is nothing we can do"; "but the economy"; "it's all nature not man."

The fact is that the time to act is upon us and if we don't, it may be the end of civilization.
The story does not agree with the data!
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html
CO2 level in 2018 have increased by 2.11 ppm over the last year.
This rate is lower than many earlier years.
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/gr.html
2002 2.50
2003 2.27
2004 1.60
2005 2.54
2006 1.68
2007 2.27
2008 1.57
2009 2.02
2010 2.32
2011 1.92
2012 2.61
2013 2.01
2014 2.17
2015 3.01
2016 2.99
2017 1.89
2018 so far 2.11

Dec. 5, 2018

Wait, weren't we already told that there is nothing that we can do? That it's to late already? Can't you people make up your minds? Well, thanks for the warning. We'll just file it with the millions of others over that past 50 years or so, since we were supposed to be goners already.

Wait, weren't we already told that there is nothing that we can do? That it's to late already? Can't you people make up your minds? Well, thanks for the warning. We'll just file it with the millions of others over that past 50 years or so, since we were supposed to be goners already.

Who said we were "supposed to be goners already?"

Noted climate scientist Ted Danson, sometime around 1980.

I don't see how the actor who starred in "Cheers" is the authority on human extinction.

The story does not agree with the data!
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html
CO2 level in 2018 have increased by 2.11 ppm over the last year.
This rate is lower than many earlier years.
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/gr.html
2002 2.50
2003 2.27
2004 1.60
2005 2.54
2006 1.68
2007 2.27
2008 1.57
2009 2.02
2010 2.32
2011 1.92
2012 2.61
2013 2.01
2014 2.17
2015 3.01
2016 2.99
2017 1.89
2018 so far 2.11

2018 has increased over 2017, and it is increasing overall.

co2_trend_gl.png

I don't see how the actor who starred in "Cheers" is the authority on human extinction.

I know, that's what I say. DiCaprio, Gore, Brad Pitt, Daryl Hannah, etc... But, for some reason we are supposed to listen to them about this. If they have some pointers on pretending to be someone else, I'm all ears. But this? No thanks.

2018 has increased over 2017, and it is increasing overall.
The claim is that 2018 is,
"Greenhouse Gas Emissions Accelerate Like a ‘Speeding Freight Train’ in 2018"
Many earlier years had a higher rate of change.
The 2018 increase is about normal to a little low for the last 20 years.

I know, that's what I say. DiCaprio, Gore, Brad Pitt, Daryl Hannah, etc... But, for some reason we are supposed to listen to them about this. If they have some pointers on pretending to be someone else, I'm all ears. But this? No thanks.

Daryl Hannah pretty much walks the walk. I think out of all of the enviro-centric actors, she and Ed Bagley Jr are quite genuine.

You're comparing atmospheric concentration figures, not emissions.

"An American withdrawal would represent a serious blow to the pact. The United States, one of the wealthiest nations in the world, is responsible for a third of all human-caused carbon emissions to date, more than any other country. China is now the largest emitter of heat-trapping gases."

Red: I thought the US had already withdrawn from the pact
Blue: What percent of carbon emissions is from sources other than "human-caused" carbon emissions?

"Many nations haven’t been meeting their self-imposed targets."

Why not? The US has at least remained flat and generally lower since the mid-2000's: https://www.statista.com/statistics/183943/us-carbon-dioxide-emissions-from-1999/

"An American withdrawal would represent a serious blow to the pact. The United States, one of the wealthiest nations in the world, is responsible for a third of all human-caused carbon emissions to date, more than any other country. China is now the largest emitter of heat-trapping gases."

Red: I thought the US had already withdrawn from the pact
Blue: What percent of carbon emissions is from sources other than "human-caused" carbon emissions?

"Many nations haven’t been meeting their self-imposed targets."

Why not? The US has at least remained flat and generally lower since the mid-2000's: https://www.statista.com/statistics/183943/us-carbon-dioxide-emissions-from-1999/

You mean other than breathing?

I was showing the overall effect and how it matters.

You're comparing atmospheric concentration figures, not emissions.

Right.

erlaaf303f1_lr.jpg

You mean other than breathing?

Fair question, I don't know whether breathing is categorized under "human-caused carbon emissions". Personally, it is one of my favorite activities.

I think that what the tree huggers want. Has anyone scolded China and the ROW about this matter?
You know what creates zero greenhouse gases? Not being alive.

Fair question, I don't know whether breathing is categorized under "human-caused carbon emissions". Personally, it is one of my favorite activities.

Animals also breathe

You know what creates zero greenhouse gases? Not being alive.

Sure, but there's that added bit that comes along with the use of technology. Whether we can use technology to reduce our impact is the challenge; and it's one that shouldn't really be a point of contention if we're of the mindset that seeks to constantly improve existing technology.

For example this report from the federal goverment under Trump show that it still can be very beneficial for US to reduce greenhouse gases. Even if it can be to late to avoid many of devasting effects.

"Limiting greenhouse gases would substantially benefit the US economy and stop thousands of deaths each year, compared with allowing climate pollution to continue to rise through the 21st century.

Reaching a peak for climate pollution mid-century and then beginning a decline would prevent in 2090:

48% of the $155bn per year in damages to labor
58% of the $141bn per year in lives lost on extremely hot or cold days
22% of the $118bn per year in damages to coastal property
31% of the $26bn per year in the health consequences from poor air quality
59% of the $20bn per year in damages to roads
47% of the $8bn per year in inland flooding"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...nge-report-trump-air-pollution-global-warming

There a big reason for the delay in action to combat manmade global from C02 is fossil fuel companies' massive disinformation campaigns.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmi...siers-fossil-fuel-industry-memos#.XAk-9nRKjIV

Dec. 5, 2018

Wasn't the time to act a few years ago and if we didn't act at that time it would be too late? Then it seems that some of the predictions were that by now, we would already have cities underwater. There are countless examples of failed predictions. How often do they have to be wrong, before some will finally question these continued predictions?

Reminds me of the Jehovah witnesses and their constant claim that the end is here, only to be proven wrong again and again. Never understood why the JW kept in the church after that...

Back
Top Bottom