• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greed Matters (do you understand the difference between "want" vs "need")

Buy-Large-Mansions-Greed-Matters-SM.gif

a news feed item about BLM reminded me (yet again) that the unfortunate fact of the matter is, too many on both sides of the political spectrum worship at the same alter (of money and material goods)

simply said people in general don't think about or want to acknowledge the fact that there is a price humanity (as a whole) is going to pay because of worshiping material goods

...according to a new study, if you want to know what’s really driving the impact on the planet, you need to look past the obvious primary factors taking a toll on the environment – like industry and agriculture – and instead realise whose needs those things are servicing.

From that perspective, researchers say household consumers are by far the biggest drain on the planet
, which makes for a very different picture to purely nation-focused analyses of environmental impact. In other words, before we start blaming whole countries for the state of the planet, we should probably be looking at our own habits and demands.

www.sciencealert.com/consumers-have-a-bigger-impact-on-the-environment-than-anything-else-study-finds

Attachments

• Buy-Large-Mansions-Greed-Matters.gif
    Buy-Large-Mansions-Greed-Matters.gif
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
(do you understand the difference between "want" vs "need")

Do you?

What you actually need to live is water and about 900 calories per day.

Do you?

• No, it is not. The 900-calorie diet plan can be referred to as a very-low-calorie diet. Very low-calorie diets, aka VLCDs, are eating plans that restrict caloric intake to 800 to 900 calories per day. For an adult, such small quantities of food cannot give you enough energy to properly sustain you.

• No, it is not. The 900-calorie diet plan can be referred to as a very-low-calorie diet. Very low-calorie diets, aka VLCDs, are eating plans that restrict caloric intake to 800 to 900 calories per day. For an adult, such small quantities of food cannot give you enough energy to properly sustain you.

Fine, make it 1200 calories instead. The point still holds.

If money and material goods aren't your thing, fine, live life as an ascetic, but by what right does anyone have to deny those things to others?

If money and material goods aren't your thing, fine, live life as an ascetic, but by what right does anyone have to deny those things to others?

sadly too few actually are taught or able to learn on their own the basic idea of,...

do-you-understand-the-difference-between-want-vs-need.gif

as a Boy Scout had an opportunity to learn it ain't a walk in the park being in the wilderness

as a kid going to catholic schools learned that there are things (in life) that are more important than blindly worshiping money and material goods

if biblical stories (such as the rich man asking Jesus what was the way into heaven,...) are too "religious" for ones sensibilities

then perhaps a Russia literature story about the consequences of greed (i.e. "blindly worshiping money and material goods") might be useful to understand the point I am trying to get across

sadly too few actually are taught or able to learn on their own the basic idea of,...

do-you-understand-the-difference-between-want-vs-need.gif

as a Boy Scout had an opportunity to learn it ain't a walk in the park being in the wilderness

as a kid going to catholic schools learned that there are things (in life) that are more important than blindly worshiping money and material goods

if biblical stories (such as the rich man asking Jesus what was the way into heaven,...) are too "religious" for ones sensibilities

then perhaps a Russia literature story about the consequences of greed (i.e. "blindly worshiping money and material goods") might be useful to understand the point I am trying to get across

Thank you for the advice, and the stick-figure cartoon, but I'll live my life (and spend my money) as I choose and without regard to what you think is best for me.

Greed Matters (do you understand the difference between "want" vs "need")​

Freedom to choose matters more.

Greed Matters (do you understand the difference between "want" vs "need")​

Freedom to choose matters more.

ever consider there are serious consequences to bad choices???

to illustrate a bad freedom of choice, ponder the long term heath consequences of short term pleasure

image006c-do-you-understand-the-difference-between-want-vs-need.gif

Yeah I know the graphic might offend some, but the fact of the matter is we are up a "perverbial creek" because too few know how to recognize a "want" vs a "need" or understand the basic science

What Do Middle Schools Teach About Climate Change? Not Much.

...A decade ago, 26 states and several groups representing teachers and scientists unveiled the Next Generation Science Standards. Since then 45 states and the District of Columbia have adopted the standards or similar ones.

But at the middle school level, even the Next Generation standards include only one standard out of about 60 that explicitly mentions climate change.

...A curriculum doesn’t exist until it enters the classroom. And since so many of the middle school Next Generation Science Standards have connections to climate change but don’t explicitly mention them, it can be a major opportunity for teachers.
But researchers have found that many teachers received little climate education themselves.

...According to teachers, one of the main challenges is a lack of good supplemental materials.

...it is unsurprising that teachers turn to online materials. But the information they find there may be outdated, inaccurate or simply not suitable for children. The Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network, an organization that provides free climate education materials, found that only 700 of the 30,000 free online materials they reviewed were accurate and suitable for use in schools.

www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/climate/middle-school-education-climate-change.html

www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/podcasts/climate-education-bob-dylan.html

As I see things the knock on effects associated w/ man made climate change (which will lead to societal collapse) requires a dramatic revamp of the educational system so people actually understand the big picture

Currently the educational system is too darn woke IMHO because seems too much emphasis is placed on is placed on social signaling (for example teachers, teaching their student about the use of various gender pronouns) instead of teaching students how to how think critically, have students be able to differentiate a "want" vs a "need" AND teach students the basic science

Last edited:
ever consider there are serious consequences to bad choices???

to illustrate a bad freedom of choice, ponder the long term heath consequences of short term pleasure

image006c-do-you-understand-the-difference-between-want-vs-need.gif

Yeah I know the graphic might offend some, but the fact of the matter is we are up a "perverbial creek" because too few know how to recognize a "want" vs a "need" or understand the basic science

As I see things the knock on effects associated w/ man made climate change (which will lead to societal collapse) requires a dramatic revamp of the educational system so people actually understand the big picture

Currently the educational system is too darn woke IMHO because seems too much emphasis is placed on is placed on social signaling (for example teachers, teaching their student about the use of various gender pronouns) instead of teaching students how to how think critically, have students be able to differentiate a "want" vs a "need" AND teach students the basic science
Your want is my need. Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!!!

Do you?

Somewhere between subsistence level survival standard of living and a trillion dollar private space yacht orbiting mars is a happy medium.

Somewhere between subsistence level survival standard of living and a trillion dollar private space yacht orbiting mars is a happy medium.
Screw the happy medium! I want the yacht!

When those others' decisions for themselves begins to effect the future of my kids and grandkids.

Buy-Large-Mansions-Greed-Matters-SM.gif

a news feed item about BLM reminded me (yet again) that the unfortunate fact of the matter is, too many on both sides of the political spectrum worship at the same alter (of money and material goods)

simply said people in general don't think about or want to acknowledge the fact that there is a price humanity (as a whole) is going to pay because of worshiping material goods

Maslow's "Hierarchy Of Needs" is a luxury in a peaceful and prosperous society,... the reason I say this is because I've been to various parts of the world that were not peaceful or prosperous and never once in these places did I see a yoga studio w/ vegan food offerings for clients that help "self actualization" (which is the top of Maslow's "Hierarchy Of Needs")

As a trained pilot w/ a physics degree, think an apt analogy of the current situation is,... to imagine humanity aboard an airliner w/ inaccurate fuel level indicators, w/ a pilot (i.e. "political leadership") at the controls who is randomly navigating their way across an ocean w/ a storm front on the horizon (i.e. "man made climate change),... sadly I think things will not end well if humanity continues on w/ business as usual

Maslow's "Hierarchy Of Needs" is a luxury in a peaceful and prosperous society,... the reason I say this is because I've been to various parts of the world that were not peaceful or prosperous and never once in these places did I see a yoga studio w/ vegan food offerings for clients that help "self actualization" (which is the top of Maslow's "Hierarchy Of Needs")

As a trained pilot w/ a physics degree, think an apt analogy of the current situation is,... to imagine humanity aboard an airliner w/ inaccurate fuel level indicators, w/ a pilot (i.e. "political leadership") at the controls who is randomly navigating their way across an ocean w/ a storm front on the horizon (i.e. "man made climate change),... sadly I think things will not end well if humanity continues on w/ business as usual

That's why physiological and safety needs are at the bottom - you need those to build the rest of the hierarchy pyramid on.

Without them it's much harder to get the stuff at the top, if not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom