• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Greatest U.S. President

What Is The Greatest U.S. President?

• George Washington

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Thomas Jefferson

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Abraham Lincoln

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Ulysses S. Grant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Woodrow Wilson

• Calvin Coolidge

• Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • John F. Kennedy

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • William J. Clinton

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Soviet_Guy

Banned
Reaction score
There were so many to choose from, luckly, I was able to pull ten from the gutter, these Presidents looked kinda shiny, not too dirty of political failures.

Biased poll - Reagan and Bush are not amoung them. :(

vauge said:
Biased poll - Reagan and Bush are not amoung them. :(

Neither are Adams (1), Monroe, Madison, Truman. I guess the list to choose from can only be so long.

From the list I'd choose Lincoln, Washington, T. Roosevelt, Jefferson. But I'd be squeezing my personal choices in also.

Lincoln, Reagan, Washington, Truman, Adams, T. Roosevelt, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, GWB

The likes of Kennedy and Clinton shouldn't be on the list at all. I think Soviet_Guy is more interested in causing trouble and being disruptive.

Squawker said:
The likes of Kennedy and Clinton shouldn't be on the list at all. I think Soviet_Guy is more interested in causing trouble and being disruptive.

I agree neither one did anything. They both just did a good job getting on the news.(not that I'm trying to be unsympathetic to Kennedy)

I like Thomas Jefferson because he didn't take and crap from those pirates in the Barbary War.(1801-1805) :cool:

Soviet_Guy said:
:lamo :funny :2rofll: That's hilarious, you should do stand up!

If the question was - "Amoung these who are the best" - then that would not be baised. Instead, a definative was put on it using the word "greatest" without putting all the Presidents on the list.
Therefore your poll is baised and not worth merit.

Thanks for the laugh - I will be here all week. :smile:

Reagan was a very, very old man, too old to make good decisions, it's biologicaly proven that people lose intelligence after 60, he was what, 72 when he was elected? Anyway, Bush, hardy, har, har, NO. As for Kennedy, I've heard nothing but good things about him on these forums, I put Presidents that I found were talked about in the most highest fasion, so there, as for Clinton, he did much for U.S. economy during his administration.

I voted for Bill Clinton because I consider him the greatest IN CONTEXT WITH THE TIMES. He could have mired us in war. He could have caved into the Republicans and not opted for the tax increase of '93.

The Republicans could not beat him, so they resorted to an idiotic and costly investigation that went no where....well, not no where....they did come up with an oval office blow job - probably not the first....or last.

Bill Clinton was the greatest because he UNDERSTOOD government. He understood the give and take of the parties...and the give and take between nations. He did so many things great which made his mistakes really stand out: 1. Introducing Health Care before welfare reform. 2. NAFTA. When he signed the bill he had the other former presidents with him - Nixon, Reagan, Ford, Pappy Bush and Carter. I knew that when that many Republicans were for it that it was not a good deal. And it is not.

ShamMol said:
Coolidge-for sure.
Honestly, the pro-business Coolidge?

I voted for FDR, beyond any doubt, the greatest President, IMO.

Historians have rated the top 5, though. I'm not exactly sure on the latter two, but I know it goes like this.
1. Lincoln
2. FDR
3. Washington
4. Truman
5. TR

Not sure if 4 and 5 are in the right spots, but I do know that most historians agree that these were the 5 greatest presidents. I agree with it, mostly. I'm particularly not too fond of TR or Truman, though.

Soviet_Guy said:
... as for Clinton, he did much for U.S. economy during his administration.

Not really, He just got the economic spoils of war left by Bush senior.
Agree with you about Reagan.

Reagan COULD have been great...He was handed a mandate AND a Republican Senate. Sadly, he squandered his political capital on sound bites - ie "Mr Gorbetc, tear down this wall". - and toadying to the dingdong religiwackos. As with today's fool on the hill, he was owned by Corp America.

anomaly said:
Like line forty seven in the patriot act says..."the." Honestly, I don't care who the greatest is, just what is now. Plus, I picked the worst one there for sarcasm sake.

anomaly said:

I voted for FDR, beyond any doubt, the greatest President, IMO.

Yes, that is who I voted for too, I believe that as the longest reigning President, he was also the last President with a good International status. He visited Canada more than any other President, and was also the only one to die in office by natural death. ( Garfield, Mckinley, Lincoln, Kennedy, murdered ) He also was the President that I am very fond of for getting the U.S. into WW II, while the nation said no and wanted to stay out of anyworld affairs like cowards, FDR, he insisted on going to war, he knew it was the right thing to do, and he wasn't controlled like a puppet, as for Reagan who was clearly reading a script, or Bush Senior, who was just there when Communism collapsed when in reality, he didn't do anything, ( Reagan's administration had already done everything ).

GarzaUK said:
Reagon and Bush couldn't touch Lincoln when it comes to greatness.

They should certainly be on the long before Clinton and Kennedy. That you would even put Clinton on the list shows the falicy of your poll. Kennedy I can see because of the myth, the Camelot thing, that has grown around him. But Clinton? In the polls of historians that I read he's lucky to make it out of the bottom third. Reagan always scores high and will always be considered the great president he was. Bush(2) probably will if things continue to go as they are and the propagandist do not get to misrepresent history.

Soviet_Guy said:
Reagan was a very, very old man, too old to make good decisions, it's biologicaly proven that people lose intelligence after 60, he was what, 72 when he was elected?

ROFL way to go insulting everyone over the age of 60. Do you really think that makes your point? What folly. Obviously you have never read any of Reagans writings.

Anyway, Bush, hardy, har, har, NO.

Do not assume, I'd wait before you pass a final judgement.

As for Kennedy, I've heard nothing but good things about him on these forums,

Doesn't speak highly of these forums then. He was facing not gettting reelected which is why he was in Texas when he was assisinated. He did pass a very large tax cut which helped the economy, but then I would think you would oppose such policies.

Clinton, he did much for U.S. economy during his administration.

And specifically what did he do? Not what happened while he happened to be in office. What specifically did he do with what result? He was dragged kicking and screaming to a balanced budget agreement. He tried 3 times to stop welfare reform and pledged and his last nominating convention to repeal it (which was a lie, he never did), he passed what he admitted was too large a tax increase and it hurt the recovery he inherited. And he left with the economy in recession and the stockmarket having fallen almost 20 percent from it's peak. So what economic policies are you talking about that you give him credit for?

Last edited:
galenrox said:
Oh yeah, Kennedy, he didn't do anything great, cause that whole civil rights thing is so overrated, and getting us through the cuban missle crisis, that doesn't even hold water against starting secret wars to displace communist democracies with capitalist authoritarian governments, right? I mean, Regan was SOOO much better than Kennedy!
Just taste the sarcasm while it drips from what I just said!

Nice. :cool:

Stinger said:
They should certainly be on the long before Clinton and Kennedy. That you would even put Clinton on the list shows the falicy of your poll. Kennedy I can see because of the myth, the Camelot thing, that has grown around him. But Clinton? In the polls of historians that I read he's lucky to make it out of the bottom third. Reagan always scores high and will always be considered the great president he was. Bush(2) probably will if things continue to go as they are and the propagandist do not get to misrepresent history.

My poll? It isn't my poll, I didn't post this poll or mention Clinton and Kennedy.

If you rate simple black and white president's as great then Reagan and Bush are up as the greatest then.

I heard somewhere that Kennedy wouldn't have been considered great if not assasinated during office.

There are some rather great presidents on that list and several that have been left out. Washington did a great job in starting the country, and Lincoln helped free the slaves which was a great feat. However I voted for Kennedy, one because I have always been a fan, and two he actually did quite a good job in the way of international relations even though he had much less time to work with then any of the other men on the list.

Regarding President Kennedy - three words "Bay of Pigs"

To be honest, we'll never truly know how President Kennedy would have stood the test of time. Because he was killed at the height of his popularity, that's how we remember him. We remember the good and gloss over the bad. I truly believe that had he not been assassinated, he probably would have just faded quietly into the background. No one, no matter how charismatic, can maintain that level of adoration.

Back
Top Bottom