• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Greatest U.S. President

What Is The Greatest U.S. President?

• George Washington

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Thomas Jefferson

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Abraham Lincoln

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Ulysses S. Grant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Woodrow Wilson

• Calvin Coolidge

• Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • John F. Kennedy

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • William J. Clinton

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Soviet_Guy said:
That's why I hate him, well, I could stand the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall going down because of a U.S. President like Kennedy or Clinton, but Reagan was just an idiot, seriously his I.Q. couldn't have been higher than possibly 125.

Proving you know nothing about him.

im completely lost as to how you could put JFK and Clinton on that list and not Reagan. if you added up their combined accomplishments they couldnt compare to what Reagan did in his first term alone. :roll:

Clinton especially stands out like a sore thumb next to other Dems like FDR.

Soviet_Guy said:
I have 132!

it doesnt show. just because you dont like Reagan, it doesn mean you have to play the ignorance car and act like he wasnt a great president.

not like it matters, i cant take a "best presidents" list seriously from a Canadian anyway. not to be an ass but you'd think that Americans have a little more authority over the issue, and it looks like most of them think you should have put Reagan on that list.

FiremanRyan said:
im completely lost as to how you could put JFK and Clinton on that list and not Reagan. if you added up their combined accomplishments they couldnt compare to what Reagan did in his first term alone. :roll:

Clinton especially stands out like a sore thumb next to other Dems like FDR.

Welcome to Debate Politics.

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do." -- Ronald Reagan, 1981

Soviet_Guy said:
True Fact: The Majority of U.S. Citizens have 110 I.Q. or less, you know not what you say. :cool:

source please?

Soviet_Guy said:
True Fact: The Majority of U.S. Citizens have 110 I.Q. or less, you know not what you say. :cool:
Actually the real American average IQ is 98 by a 2% margin of error and in britian its 100 by 2% margin of error i wish i did have the source but i lost it.

For Britian thats pretty sad to think that. Because tehy have better schooling were 5x bigger than them.

I voted FDR- He was a president ahead of the people in understanding Hitler's threat and he did everything he could before the war to strengthen our military as much as he could for being in peacetime. Before the war he was a president who genuinely did everything he could to help the economy and prevent another Depression. He wasn't too successful in helping the economy, but I don't think he could have done much more. The most important thing he did for our economy before WWII was instill hope for everybody. And even though Republicans may not like all the welfare programs FDR initiated, 66 years is the longest span in our history without having a Depression. Maybe his programs need reforms to adapt to the times, but they certainly have been effective. For not being a bigot, FDR really should have done more for civil rights.

Why I didn't vote Lincoln: I was thinking of it, but I finally concluded that the bloodiest American conflict couldn't make the best president, though the war was inevitable. And in comparing the US to the rest of the world, slavery was bound to end sooner or later, though Lincoln definitely deserves credit for making it sooner.

Clinton: Gave us a very strong economy, but not the best president.

Geoge Washington: Great man who did many great things for our nation, but for his presidency itself, not sure it warrants the best president.

Reagan: Nice job in winning the Cold War. Very impressive. However, though the economy flourished in his time, he set it up poorly for George HW Bush (Similar to how Republicans blame Clinton for the economic recession). Bush Sr. understood the need to raise taxes to pay off deficits which he inherited as a result of Reagan's policies. Those tax raises, while ultimateley for the better cost him the election. Reagan was probably the best president at connecting with the people.

George HW Bush: The real integrity of the Bush family. A WWII veteran who valued our nation more than his political success. He raised taxes to ultimately balance our budget despite conservative critisism that he shouldn't raise taxes. Clinton continued this policy and eventually balanced the budget to create a surplus for our nation.

George W. Bush: Motivated our nation against terrorists and defeated the Taliban. Adopting Reagan-like tax policies which seem to be slowly helping our economy. However, he went to war using poor intelligence and not holding anyone accountable for it. He went to war and created too many tensions with too many nations, hurting us diplomatically. Also, he won't do what I consider to be great about his father and raise taxes to pay for the deficit. His social security plan is bad because the transition costs for it are 10 trillion dollars which would have to be paid for with a 17% national sales tax. The plan in action may work well, but the transition costs are just too much. To finish on a positive note, Bush Jr. stands strong for his beliefs.

I'm going to go with Washington. He could have turned this country into a third world dictatorship (which is what happened after most colonial revolutions) but he didn't.

Reagan was pretty good - tax cuts and his role in ending Soviet dominance.

FDR - while I respect his perserverence and courage to stand up for what is right in World War II, he made some terrible mistakes. The new deal was mostly an attempt at power-grabbing and giving handouts to swing-states in order to ensure re-election. He tried to pack the courts. And don't forget the internment of the Japenese.

Whoa! I can't believe I forgot the internment of the Japanese. Yeah, that'd be enough to exclude him from being the best president. I suppose it's Washington.

(Moderator) Refrain from personal attacks, and stick to the issue, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Discovery Channel held an "election" on who is the greatest American.

1. Ronald Reagan (guess that makes him the greatest president too).
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Martin Luther King Jr.
4. George Washington
5. Benjamin Franklin

edb19 said:

2. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Benjamin Franklin

I suppose the people who voted were losers who sit on their *ss all day and have no life. :cool:

Soviet_Guy said:
I suppose the people who voted were losers who sit on their *ss all day and have no life. :cool:

One could say the same thing about a person who has managed 317 posts on a debate forum, at all hours of the day and night, in less than one month.

edb19 said:

2. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Benjamin Franklin

I disagree. Winning an unofficial poll does not make you the greatest president ever. I would have to say, in my opinion, that Reagan did not make this poll and is not the greatest president because comparatively speaking, he did not do as much as the other presidents. I also feel it's sad that people think Reagan was a greater American than Martin Luther King Jr., the man who pushed for equal rights. I guess I feel that civil rights and equality is more American than the Iran-Contra affair and cutting education.

edb19 said:
One could say the same thing about a person who has managed 317 posts on a debate forum, at all hours of the day and night, in less than one month.

First off, I believe that I've only singed on this forum maybe 9 days. I made 100 posts ( short ones ) the first day. I'm also a fast typer and in reality, I also post alot of times in one topic, and I do go on this sometimes at 1:00 a.m. because I'm bored but not yet tired, and sometimes in the morning when I'm also lazy, so there you go.

Soviet_Guy said:
First off, I believe that I've only singed on this forum maybe 9 days. I made 100 posts ( short ones ) the first day. I'm also a fast typer and in reality, I also post alot of times in one topic, and I do go on this sometimes at 1:00 a.m. because I'm bored but not yet tired, and sometimes in the morning when I'm also lazy, so there you go.

I wasn't really criticizing - just making an observation (as were you about the people who voted on the Discovery Channel poll.

If the truth be told, I would probably benefit from a 12-step program for internet users. ;)

Back
Top Bottom