• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greatest NBA Team Ever!

Cough, cough, Wilt, Cough, cough.
Wilt had a 7-10 foot fade-away that absolutely could not be defended. Wilt had cover (not shooting) range both offensively and defensively and ran the floor like a forward. OK...a power forward. He was also a very good passer. Slightly better free throw shooter.

I don't fault Shaq. He took what the game gave him.

Wrong way to look at it... greatness was based on having beaten Great Teams.

The greatest teams ever aren't beaten, though. They win championships. So how do you determine when a great team has beaten another great team (since, by definition, no team could have beaten one of the greatest teams ever)?

Wilt had a 7-10 foot fade-away that absolutely could not be defended. Wilt had cover (not shooting) range both offensively and defensively and ran the floor like a forward. OK...a power forward. He was also a very good passer. Slightly better free throw shooter.

Wilt Chamberlain once led the league in assists simply because he felt like it.

My thoughts are Shaq did nothing more than take what the game gave him. He made no attempt to elevate his game beyond that. Hell, he never even bothered to learn how to shoot Free Throws.

The greatest teams ever aren't beaten, though. They win championships. So how do you determine when a great team has beaten another great team (since, by definition, no team could have beaten one of the greatest teams ever)?

That is not the definition. 5 of the Top Ten Greatest NBA Teams are from the 1980's and overlapped each other. Not my list. The NBA's list.

That is not the definition. 5 of the Top Ten Greatest NBA Teams are from the 1980's and overlapped each other. Not my list. The NBA's list.

The list talks about the greatest teams ever being single season teams. They aren't saying the 1980's Lakers, they are giving a season.

The list talks about the greatest teams ever being single season teams. They aren't saying the 1980's Lakers, they are giving a season.

If the warriors lose fewer than 8 games this season and sweep everyone in the finals, they will be the best team ever.

/thread

Right but those teams carried over as well... the core element was there. Jordans sweep teams were all just as good as each other. Magics mid 80's teams were and Bird's were, etc. as well.

If the warriors lose fewer than 8 games this season and sweep everyone in the finals, they will be the best team ever.

/thread

Yesterday versus the Thunder was a GREAT GAME!

Right but those teams carried over as well... the core element was there. Jordans sweep teams were all just as good as each other. Magics mid 80's teams were and Bird's were, etc. as well.

The 92-93 bulls were a significantly better team than the 93-94 bulls. And the 95-96 bulls were much better than the 92-93 bulls. Beating a team in a different year is not the same as beating one of the greatest teams ever. There are a multitude of differences from one year to the next, even if the roster goes completely unchanged. Age, injuries, chemistry... all of these things play a role.

I am unsure if the 95-96 Bulls could beat this years Warriors team.

As good as the Bulls were, Steph Curry appears impossible to guard.

Watch Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf torch the Bulls in 1995. Mahmoud, like Phil Jackson compared had a similar style of play to Steph Curry:

1965 Celtics.

The 92-93 bulls were a significantly better team than the 93-94 bulls. And the 95-96 bulls were much better than the 92-93 bulls. Beating a team in a different year is not the same as beating one of the greatest teams ever. There are a multitude of differences from one year to the next, even if the roster goes completely unchanged. Age, injuries, chemistry... all of these things play a role.

I was comparing the two three peat teams... you are correct but sometimes there is not THAT much of a difference... 95-96 and 96-97 for example... and some of the 86-89 Laker Teams.

Well, I would cede that point to the experts.

Bodi ranked them. From the site:

So legendary are the teams that comprise the Top 10 teams in NBA History, it only takes one of the above phrases to evoke a spate of memories. The Top 10 teams were selected in 1996 by a panel of media members who regularly cover the NBA. Voters were asked to select the top 10 teams in NBA history, without ranking them, as part of the NBA at 50 celebration during the '96-97 season.

Undoubtedly, we will have to find places for the Heat, Spurs, and Dubs in any credible top 10 rank.

Wrong way to look at it... greatness was based on having beaten Great Teams.

So they were great teams because... they were beaten?

:lol:

Great logic!

Bodi ranked them. From the site:

Undoubtedly, we will have to find places for the Heat, Spurs, and Dubs in any credible top 10 rank.

This year's W's are absolutely mind boggling. Back in November-December, I figured they were just hot early. No way would they break the Bulls 10-loss record.

Now...hell, the question is by how much will they break that record. I can easily see them not losing more than 8 at this rate.

This year's W's are absolutely mind boggling. Back in November-December, I figured they were just hot early. No way would they break the Bulls 10-loss record.

Now...hell, the question is by how much will they break that record. I can easily see them not losing more than 8 at this rate.

The Dubs scare the **** out of me.

I am unsure if the 95-96 Bulls could beat this years Warriors team.

As good as the Bulls were, Steph Curry appears impossible to guard.

Watch Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf torch the Bulls in 1995. Mahmoud, like Phil Jackson compared had a similar style of play to Steph Curry:

Depends on when they play. Defense in the late 1990's was probably the best we've ever seen in the league. Current offenses benefit from hand check and other pro-offense rules; as does this current Dubs team.

/thread

the Warriors team that swept Washington about 40 years ago was a great team that many people forget but it had everything. one of the best shooters and passers (as well as ball stealers ever-the guy the Late Wilt Chamberlain said he'd choose for his all star team at shooting forward-Rick Barry) you had one of the greatest "garbage men" (cleans up the messes inside) forwards in history in Jamal Wilkes. Clifford Ray was very good defensive center who set great picks allowing Barry to bomb away and the back up center-George Johnson, at one time, had the highest reach (due to his hops) in the NBA. Guard Phil Smith was perhaps the quickest guy in the league and a tremendous defensive guard and t starting guard
Butch Beard was a strong guard as well (I don't recall the other starting guard) Phil was the first man off the bench

true, this team did not have a tremendous win loss record that year but beating Washington and its two hall of famers 4-0 while not really having a home advantage (their home arena was unavailable)

the Warriors team that swept Washington about 40 years ago was a great team that many people forget but it had everything. one of the best shooters and passers (as well as ball stealers ever-the guy the Late Wilt Chamberlain said he'd choose for his all star team at shooting forward-Rick Barry) you had one of the greatest "garbage men" (cleans up the messes inside) forwards in history in Jamal Wilkes. Clifford Ray was very good defensive center who set great picks allowing Barry to bomb away and the back up center-George Johnson, at one time, had the highest reach (due to his hops) in the NBA. Guard Phil Smith was perhaps the quickest guy in the league and a tremendous defensive guard and t starting guard
Butch Beard was a strong guard as well (I don't recall the other starting guard) Phil was the first man off the bench

true, this team did not have a tremendous win loss record that year but beating Washington and its two hall of famers 4-0 while not really having a home advantage (their home arena was unavailable)

I was a young pup back then, but I still remember Berry as the only guy I ever saw to shoot free throws underhand. I heard a radio guy read some stats on him recently. Berry was good. Damned good.

Depends on when they play. Defense in the late 1990's was probably the best we've ever seen in the league. Current offenses benefit from hand check and other pro-offense rules; as does this current Dubs team.

lol...if Curry played in the 80's, he'd be getting 40 stitches like Isiah.

No way would Curry light up teams like the "Bad Boy" Pistons...and not wind up on crutches.

I was a young pup back then, but I still remember Berry as the only guy I ever saw to shoot free throws underhand. I heard a radio guy read some stats on him recently. Berry was good. Damned good.

in one game, Golden State was down 1 point and Barry was fouled as time ran out. The other team left the arena. Barry went to the line with as if he was shooting technical fouls since there would be no play. If he missed, there would be either a loss or overtime since he was shooting two fouls. Barry-who once during an all-star game intermission-hit 25 straight blindfolded snapped the net twice. The press asked the captain of the losing team why they left. He said-The game was over". the reporter said=what if Rick missed

the captain looked at him and said-a championship game-Rick Barry missing a free throw

won't happen, never has happened. iF three point goals were available back then, Barry (an Pistol Pete Maravich) would have scoring numbers that were even more astronomical then they put up) Same with Bob McAdoo who was a great bomber

lots of people don't realize barry was also way up in terms of steals and assists. He had very fast hands and for a forward he had assist and steal numbers better than most guards

but when he did the pick and roll with Ray and got a look, he was deadly

So they were great teams because... they were beaten?

:lol:

Great logic!

You have to know what you are talking about to make a good point here and they are not MY great teams they are the NBA's GREATEST TEAMS EVER. Top Ten.

Bye.

Back
Top Bottom