• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Greatest generation' veterans sweep past barricades at memorial in their honor

Imnukingfutz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
'Greatest generation' veterans sweep past barricades at memorial in their honor | Fox News

Veteran1.jpg

Damn good for them. I was so proud of these WWII veterans actions today words cant express it.

"These men and women didn't cower to the Japanese and Germans," Palazzo said. "I don't think they're about to let a few National Park Police stand in their way."

"I’m not going to enforce the 'no stopping or standing' sign for a group of 90 [year old] World War II veterans," a U.S. Park Police officer, who declined to give his name, told The Washington Post. “I’m a veteran myself.”

We can still learn a thing or two from the 'Greatest generation'. Do what you want to and dont let government stand in your way while doing it.

Pretty much the way all veterans feel about this silly president and his ignorant, childlike BS.

And M. Bachmann used these great Veterans as a photo-op saying Repubs would never shut the government down.
Veterans know phony liars when they see them, two Republican reps King and Bachmann.

I don't really care what Bachmann or anybody else has done or said; none of it takes away from what these gentlemen did.

I don't really care what Bachmann or anybody else has done or said; none of it takes away from what these gentlemen did.

We can learn a lot from them...their actions now - civil disobedience - are just as brave as ever. Those men should be admired and respected for what they did.

I am cool with them going in, but that tape had a purpose which was not to punish them. It was to keep out their litter because no one was there to monitor or clean up the joint. It is not going to stay pretty without maintenance and that tape was there to make sure use did not speed it's decay. I am perfectly fine if they start cleaning the place up themselves also. However, what will happen, as always happens, is the people who are cleaning will clean only those parts they care about while standing on those parts they do not. This will cause dysfunction among a bunch of old bitter cleaners who like to have things their way and like to put their way in other people's faces. That is a time bomb. We are all happy to see it now, but the one thing that you say makes them great which is a lack of respect for anything they disagree with will be the same thing that gets them fighting and destroying their own monument in the future if this is allowed to continue.

oh, and i am not complaining. I am actually good with that outcome. Who else better to destroy their monument than them. It would suck if some teenagers messed it up.

We can learn a lot from them...their actions now - civil disobedience - are just as brave as ever. Those men should be admired and respected for what they did.

that tape was there to protect the monument from them. Give it time, I hope to see the destruction. I am actually good with the shutdown for a long period because some people have taken the good things the government does for granted and need a little lesson in why the government is there in the first place. Let the pain begin if the republicans want it. Little mrs bachman the idiot is going to be one of the first to get enlightened because she makes the most use out of public funds.

that tape was there to protect the monument from them. Give it time, I hope to see the destruction. I am actually good with the shutdown for a long period because some people have taken the good things the government does for granted and need a little lesson in why the government is there in the first place. Let the pain begin if the republicans want it. Little mrs bachman the idiot is going to be one of the first to get enlightened because she makes the most use out of public funds.

That tape was there to protect the monument from them.....yea, that monument was in such danger from those WWII veterans in their wheelchairs. Yea, I heard they are more dangerous to monuments than Al Qaeda. Better watch those seniors and their wheelchairs.

The tape wasnt there to protect the monument from them nor was it there to protect it from decay, it was there so people would "feel the pain" of a government shutdown. An open air monument, exposed to the elements, day in and day out is not going to be damaged by a few seniors in a wheelchair.

And you hope to see the destruction? Is that really what you want to see to justify governments over reach into everything?

Typical Liberal, hope for the worst in people to justify Big Brother and a nanny state.

Last edited:
That tape was there to protect the monument from them.....yea, that monument was in such danger from those WWII veterans in their wheelchairs. Yea, I heard they are more dangerous to monuments than Al Qaeda. Better watch those seniors and their wheelchairs.

The tape wasnt there to protect the monument from them nor was it there to protect it from decay, it was there so people would "feel the pain" of a government shutdown. An open air monument, exposed to the elements, day in and day out is not going to be damaged by a few seniors in a wheelchair.

And you hope to see the destruction? Is that really what you want to see to justify governments over reach into everything?

Typical Liberal, hope for the worst in people to justify Big Brother and a nanny state.

I hope I am wrong.I bet against people all the time and make a lot doing it. In this case i would hope to lose money like I often do.

Another group of WWII veterans is scheduled to visit the memorial in their honor today, this time the government has said if they go through the barriers, they will be arrested.

Hold On: Elderly WWII Vets Vow Major Showdown Wednesday at War Memorial

Shockingly, an Honor Flight group from Toledo, Ohio, was allegedly threatened with arrest if they entered the closed memorial, setting up a possible showdown between vets and the government.

Honor Flight of Northwest Ohio was told by the Park Service that individuals in the group would face arrest if they entered the closed memorial

Lee Armstrong, the group’s president “I said, are you kidding me? You’re going to arrest a 90/91-year-old veteran from seeing his memorial? If it wasn’t for them it wouldn’t be there. She said, ‘That’s correct sir,’

I would be one of the first to line up in protest if this were to happen. Washington DC is only a 3 hour drive for me.

I hope I am wrong.I bet against people all the time and make a lot doing it. In this case i would hope to lose money like I often do.

I have more faith in man and less faith in government apparently than you do.

Another group of WWII veterans is scheduled to visit the memorial in their honor today, this time the government has said if they go through the barriers, they will be arrested.

Hold On: Elderly WWII Vets Vow Major Showdown Wednesday at War Memorial

I would be one of the first to line up in protest if this were to happen. Washington DC is only a 3 hour drive for me.

So, for the record, when the government isn't shut down their is no staff on hand at the memorial... when the government IS shut down their is staff at the memorial to arrest anyone who tries to visit the memorial.

This is the government that liberals protect and want to give ever more control to.

And M. Bachmann used these great Veterans as a photo-op saying Repubs would never shut the government down.
Veterans know phony liars when they see them, two Republican reps King and Bachmann.

That was particularly disgusting. It is akin to being a rapist then handing the victim a box of Kleenex and a moist towel and offering the morning after pill and you expect credit for being sympathetic.

I am cool with them going in, but that tape had a purpose which was not to punish them. It was to keep out their litter because no one was there to monitor or clean up the joint. It is not going to stay pretty without maintenance and that tape was there to make sure use did not speed it's decay. I am perfectly fine if they start cleaning the place up themselves also. However, what will happen, as always happens, is the people who are cleaning will clean only those parts they care about while standing on those parts they do not. This will cause dysfunction among a bunch of old bitter cleaners who like to have things their way and like to put their way in other people's faces. That is a time bomb. We are all happy to see it now, but the one thing that you say makes them great which is a lack of respect for anything they disagree with will be the same thing that gets them fighting and destroying their own monument in the future if this is allowed to continue.

oh, and i am not complaining. I am actually good with that outcome. Who else better to destroy their monument than them. It would suck if some teenagers messed it up.

Better tape up the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial and Jefferson Memorial. Those were open for walking around. Why shouldn't this one?

Nice, referring to WWII veterans as "litter" Classy

So, for the record, when the government isn't shut down their is no staff on hand at the memorial... when the government IS shut down their is staff at the memorial to arrest anyone who tries to visit the memorial.

This is the government that liberals protect and want to give ever more control to.
Great catch. Says a lot, doesn't it? And not just about their desire for more control, but about their disdain for American veterans - men and women who fought and who gave their lives for these people; and they just scorn it, trash it.

Great catch. Says a lot, doesn't it? And not just about their desire for more control, but about their disdain for American veterans - men and women who fought and who gave their lives for these people; and they just scorn it, trash it.

I think the Obama Admin simply wants to make sure that the American people understand personally how balking will be painful. I also think that this may backfire.

I am glad that these vets got to visit their memorial, and glad that no one turned this into an ugly scene.

I am glad that these vets got to visit their memorial, and glad that no one turned this into an ugly scene.

Me too, but with another layer of barricades being erected this morning I can hear the Harley motors revving all over the region.

Nice way to not ad anything of value to the conversation. Go you!
Pot, meet kettle.

I am too. There never should have even been a story here in the first place such that we are expressing our sentiment that they "got" to do anything.

I think the Obama Admin simply wants to make sure that the American people understand personally how balking will be painful. I also think that this may backfire.
Obama's the president. We already know "painful."

;)

Back
Top Bottom