• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Great Wall of Mexico" Bill Passes House

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Members of the House, on a bipartisan vote, overwhelmingly passed a bill to put up a 700 mile wall that would cover 5 sections of the US-Mexico border which are the most crossed by illegal aliens.

I dont know about anybody else, but this bill has been a long time coming. The cost will be 2.2 billion, but the cost savings to communities which are seeing their resources dried up by illegals will be many times greater. In addition, we will be sending the message that we no longer will support the efforts of lawbreakers.

The votes in the House ensure that a Bush veto can be overriden there. The bill now goes to the Senate where, hopefully, we will see the same result.

Once the wall goes up, then we can start arresting and deporting those illegals who are already here.

Article is here.

This is a huge waste of money, even by government standards.

danarhea said:
Members of the House, on a bipartisan vote, overwhelmingly passed a bill to put up a 700 mile wall that would cover 5 sections of the US-Mexico border which are the most crossed by illegal aliens.

I dont know about anybody else, but this bill has been a long time coming. The cost will be 2.2 billion, but the cost savings to communities which are seeing their resources dried up by illegals will be many times greater. In addition, we will be sending the message that we no longer will support the efforts of lawbreakers.

The votes in the House ensure that a Bush veto can be overriden there. The bill now goes to the Senate where, hopefully, we will see the same result.

Once the wall goes up, then we can start arresting and deporting those illegals who are already here.

Article is here.

"Border security or boondoggle?
A plan for 700 miles of Mexican border wall heads for Senate -- its future is not assured"?:confused:

Deegan said:
"Border security or boondoggle?
A plan for 700 miles of Mexican border wall heads for Senate -- its future is not assured"?:confused:

There's still lots of problems to work out...cost, legal difficulties in taking the private property of landowners, environmental concerns, etc.

We need a magical filter that'll zap future members of the MS-13.

Illegal immigrants can come and go, and i wouldn't lose an hour of my sleep. But when gangs sneak through, thats what ticks me off. I'd support the wall, if it means stopping those filthy savages from sneaking into our borders.

Kandahar said:
This is a huge waste of money, even by government standards.

Like close to half a trillion on an unneeded war? The money for the wall is a drop in the bucket compared to that, and it will be a good start for securing the border against lawbreakers and possible terrorists.

danarhea said:
Like close to half a trillion on an unneeded war? The money for the wall is a drop in the bucket compared to that, and it will be a good start for securing the border against lawbreakers and possible terrorists.

I'm finding myself agreeing with him. My reasoning is that this wall is only going to funnel illegals into one area. And there will be mass crossings at these spots. Its a temporary solution for a permanent problem.

I'm also not justifying the war, and I dont believe he is either, nor the massive amounts of money spent over there.

danarhea said:
Like close to half a trillion on an unneeded war? The money for the wall is a drop in the bucket compared to that,

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? Using one mistake to justify another makes for HORRIBLE policy...

danarhea said:
and it will be a good start for securing the border against lawbreakers and possible terrorists.

If you were a terrorist, would you try to cross the populated Mexican border with redneck vigilantes waiting to shoot you? Or would you cross the uninhabited Canadian border in the Rocky Mountains?

danarhea said:

Article is here.

Hopefully it does pass and they arm the wall.

Back
Top Bottom