• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Great Political/Philosophical Movies!

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
My choices
1. Do the Right Thing (this movie was really an eye opener for me and I think it deserves to be in the top 100 greatest movies in all history.)
2. All Quiet on the Western Front ( a wonderful anti war movie. the ending was extremly powerful. I loved it)
3. Bowling For Columbine (whether you agree with it or disagree with it, there can't be any argument that Michael Moore made a hell of a film here)
4.Platoon (it can be argued that this is more of a war movie then a political movie but I think there are political themes hidden all over the movie and, if you look carefully you can see them)
5. Boyz n the Hood ( a wonderful movie that shows the terrible enviroment that blacks lived in 1990's Las Angeles.)
6. Meance II Society (very similar to the one above. except the paths taken by the main characters are completely different. In Boyz in the Hood, SPOILER Tre manages to make a success out of himself with guidance from his father but in Menace II Society the main character ((forget his name)) guidance came too late for him and ended with his tragic demise)

War movie - A Walk in the Sun
Life experience- Zorba the Greek
Detective-The Maltese Falcon
Western- The Ride Back
Comedy- Blazzing Saddles
Political- Smith Goes to Washington
Bio pic- The Sicilian
With the exception of the comedy all of these films have a philosophical value.

Great political/philosophical movie?

"A Clockwork Orange," Stanley Kubrick

Naked Lunch
Soylent Green
Schindlers List
Do the Right Thing
American History X
Mississippi Burning
Glory
Love Valor Compassion
Its My Party
Boys on the Side

I should have never entered this thread. Now i am going to be running around to video store all day and watching movies all night. One more,

The Naked and the Dead.

"A Clockwork Orange," Stanley Kubrick

I saw that movie last night. I really liked it but I didn't understand what happened to him at the end.

I know this is kinda sick but after the movie ended that song 'singing in the rain' was stuck in my head.

Bob Roberts
Bulworth
The Handmaid's Tale
Dead Man Walking
Being There
Dr. Strangelove or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Norma Rae
Pleasantville
Kundun
Matewan
Catch-22
The Graduate

was that the first time you'd seen it?

Yeah. I've been wanting to see it for a long time and I saw that it was on this month and it just so happened it was on that night so I decided to stay up and watch it.

Clockwork Orange is a bit long, but the violence, tho tame by today's standards, is still so depraved and sick, it can't help but get some emotion out of me. I like movies that have that power.

I read the book too, but at the end of the film, Malcolm McDowell pretty much goes back to where he was in the beginning... a depraved lawless misfit of society....IMO.

Arch Enemy said:
You guys are utterly crazy!

Waking Life is by far the greatest Philosophical Movie, that's all it has. It's an idependent film.

IF you have time, I encourage you to watch the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_Life

Wow, that does sound good, I'll have to look for that. I liked his film Slacker.

My choices were all political movies, except maybe Kundun. But sometimes there is a thin line between the two.

For strictly philosophical movies, some of my favorites are A Face in the Crowd and an older Steven Soderbergh movie called Schizopolis - very bizarre flick.

I also like I Heart Huckabees. The Thin Red Line. Crimes and Misdemeanors. Seven Samurai. And, uh, Animal House. :mrgreen: Hey, philosophy is a very personal matter after all.

Brazil (1985) - A visual masterpiece.

Shindler's List (1993) - A film for all to see... and learn.

Everything is Illuminated (New) - A young Jewish American man (Elijah Wood) endeavors to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II in a Ukrainian village that was ultimately razed by the Nazis... with the help of a local who speaks weirdly funny broken English. Excellent!

The Brazilian film City of God was an interseting film along with "Central Station."
I'll watch any film by Luis Buñel.

Back
Top Bottom