• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Great Examples of the Bible's Historical Accuracy...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
What else will we discover in the future to verify even more of the Bible's accuracy...only time will tell...😊

The Bible--always criticized but flawless just-the-same.

Do you know the incredible evidence of Pithom:
  • Exodus1:11: Israelites build Pithom.
  • Exodus 5: After Moses' visit, Egyptians withhold straw, forcing Hebrew slaves to make bricks with stubble.
  • 1908- Discovery that Pithom's lower structure is built with straw-filled bricks, but bricks above it are stubble-filled.
But sometimes God allows the appearance of contradictions to grow our faith (Hebrews 11:1-2) and reveal the arrogance of critics.

For example:
Hittites:

• Hittites are mentioned 48 times in Scripture but not in ancient literature.
  • Bible critics call Hittites "fictional."
  • 1876 - historians discover Carchemish, capital of powerful Hittite nation.
Sargon:
  • Scripture is criticized because Assyrian king Sargon (Isaiah 20:1) isn't mentioned in ancient literature.
  • 1842 - Sargon's impressive palace is unearthed.
Grapes:
  • Critics insist grapes and wine (highlighted in Joseph's story) weren't part of Egyptian culture.
  • Ancient Egyptian tomb paintings are discovered illustrating grape harvesting and wine-making.
"The Lord's Word is Flawless" Psalm 18:30
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2014/07/flawless.html

Sherlock Holmes mentions London.
London is real.
Therefore Sherlock Holmes is real.

We've heard this tripe before, Elora. :)
lol...no one has ever claimed London did not exist nor was it only mentioned by Sherlock...

lol...no one has ever claimed London did not exist or was it only mentioned by Sherlock...

giphy.gif

lol...no one has ever claimed London did not exist nor was it only mentioned by Sherlock...
But people did think that Troy was fictional until excavations starting in 1871 showed layers that matched the description in the Illiad and showed evidence of war.

That some of the history in the Bible is true has never been questioned by anyone and does nothing to prove the truth of any supernatural claims.

Exactly which "Bible critics" said the Hittites weren't real?

But people did think that Troy was fictional until excavations starting in 1871 showed layers that matched the description in the Illiad and showed evidence of war.

That some of the history in the Bible is true has never been questioned by anyone and does nothing to prove the truth of any supernatural claims.

I shall emphasize one word in your comment - "SOME of the history in the Bible is true" but a lot of the 'history' just isn't what scholars would call "history"

And no one denies that the Bible contains some factual truths. Most works of fiction do, actually all.

The Bible--always criticized but flawless just-the-same.

Do you know the incredible evidence of Pithom:
  • Exodus1:11: Israelites build Pithom.
  • Exodus 5: After Moses' visit, Egyptians withhold straw, forcing Hebrew slaves to make bricks with stubble.
  • 1908- Discovery that Pithom's lower structure is built with straw-filled bricks, but bricks above it are stubble-filled.
But sometimes God allows the appearance of contradictions to grow our faith (Hebrews 11:1-2) and reveal the arrogance of critics.

For example:
Hittites:

• Hittites are mentioned 48 times in Scripture but not in ancient literature.
  • Bible critics call Hittites "fictional."
  • 1876 - historians discover Carchemish, capital of powerful Hittite nation.
Sargon:
  • Scripture is criticized because Assyrian king Sargon (Isaiah 20:1) isn't mentioned in ancient literature.
  • 1842 - Sargon's impressive palace is unearthed.
Grapes:
  • Critics insist grapes and wine (highlighted in Joseph's story) weren't part of Egyptian culture.
  • Ancient Egyptian tomb paintings are discovered illustrating grape harvesting and wine-making.
"The Lord's Word is Flawless" Psalm 18:30

Pithom:
Zero evidence that the Hebrews built Pithom. The bricks without straw actually date to the time when Rome controlled Egypt. Brick mixtures changed with climate and cultural changes. There is also the problem that two different sites have been labeled "Pithom".

Hittites not mentioned in "ancient literature" - depends upon what one calls "ancient literature". One of the problems lies with the fact that the people the biblical writers called Hittites, called themselves Neshians. The other problem lies with the period in which ancient cuneiform tablets were finally translated into modern European languages.

One must assume that the writer of the 'Biblical' defence page is only thinking of Greek or Roman texts when he is writing the words "ancient literature"

Who are the "biblical critics" who wrote that the Hittites weren't real or that Sargon of Akkad was a myth or made a claim that ancient Egypt had no grapes?

When people ask me what I think of religious people 'proselytizing' , I normally say that I don't mind it a bit, if they obey a few 'rules of the road'. I see them as salesmen, basically marketing an idea, which is what we do in this country. We market political, ideological, religious ideas like they are vacuums, magazine subscriptions, or a Japanese knife set. Its as American as apple pie.

Now I have just scanned Elora's posting history here. I am not going to comment on the quality, the logic, the persuasiveness of her arguments and while I have not read all of it, but what I have noticed , is that her tone, her approach is pretty damn positive, pleasant and consistently respectful considering that she is having her views, her contributions, her 'sales pitch' attacked pretty mercilessly. that's what happens if you post in a debate forum. I am not reading nasty, quarrelsome or stereotypic posts about atheists. Of course there has to be some comparisons and contrasts with the other 'product's on the market, but there is not a lot of bashing of other faiths or the non-believers in what she is doing. These threads are not negative or attack ads.

Here's the compliment, Elora, I appreciate the way you do what you do, your style. You aren't convincing me, but you also don't piss me off. Not a bad quality to have in a devotee and advocate of Christianity, promoting God in a forum like this. If someone is going to proselytize me, call me in the middle of my favorite show, or come to my door at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, or approach me at the airport, this is the attitude I prefer they go about it.

What else will we discover in the future to verify even more of the Bible's accuracy...only time will tell...😊

https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2014/07/flawless.html
I'm shaken to the pit.

What I think is that the priests traveled, and some of them were from Egypt and they knew of this building, but it was not the Israelites.

Pretty sure, otherwise it doesn't fit the Lord's nature, humility, in the Psalms He doesn't want to take birth of them, so he comes of his virgin Mary. Would children of Israel be going back to worship Baal?

So because they found some remains of troy and confirmed it was sacked. Then that must mean that the illiads account of how the gods interfered in that war must mean those gods a real.

But lucky for us because there are also remains in eloras book that tells us there is only one god, so big flaw in your argument. ;)

So because they found some remains of troy and confirmed it was sacked. Then that must mean that the illiads account of how the gods interfered in that war must mean those gods a real.

But lucky for us because there are also remains in eloras book that tells us there is only one god, so big flaw in your argument. ;)
But on the other hand, the Latter-Day Saints are completely out of luck

Sherlock Holmes mentions London.
London is real.
Therefore Sherlock Holmes is real.

We've heard this tripe before, Elora. :)

London was already known to have existed before Sherlocke Holmes mentioned it.
It's not comparable.

London was already known to have existed before Sherlocke Holmes mentioned it.
It's not comparable.

The Hittites were known to exist before the Bible mentioned them.

The Hittites were known to exist before the Bible mentioned them.

:rolleyes:

Where were they mentioned?
Can you give the ancient text that mentioned them before the Bible did?

CITE.

Before the archeological discoveries that revealed the Hittite civilization, the only source of information about the Hittites had been the Old Testament.
Francis William Newman expressed the critical view, common in the early 19th century, that, "no Hittite king could have compared in power to the King of Judah...".
[12]

CITE.

Before the archeological discoveries that revealed the Hittite civilization, the only source of information about the Hittites had been the Old Testament.
Francis William Newman expressed the critical view, common in the early 19th century, that, "no Hittite king could have compared in power to the King of Judah...".
[12]

Uhhhh… Egyptians records of the Battle of Kadesh?

Ancient civilizations most definitely knew the Hittites existed before the Bible ever mentioned them.

CITE.

[12]

We have ancient digs and remains of them that tell us that. Or is the argument of this thread no longer considered valid?

Great example of religious bullshit. There are many works of historical fiction that base the fiction around real events, that dont' make them true. So the writers knew some facts about the time they are writing, that doesn't prove all the other bullshit in the bible.
Nope, yours. I reduced your stupid argument to the absurdity that it is. As usual, you don't want to admit when your argument fails.

But she copied and pasted a moronic picture multiple times, that proves here argument is correct ;)

Ancient civilizations most definitely knew the Hittites existed before the Bible ever mentioned them.
But modern day civilizations did not...that is the point of the OP...and we all know if there's no evidence for us, it doesn't exist because we know everything there is to know about everything...😊...nothing new to be discovered...:sneaky:

But modern day civilizations did not...that is the point of the OP...and we all know if there's no evidence for us, it doesn't exist because we know everything there is to know about everything...😊...nothing new to be discovered...:sneaky:

And you’ve yet to provide any source for your claim that “Bible critics” said the Hittites didn’t exist.

Back
Top Bottom