• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Great economy makes no splash

F

FireUltra 98

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=1358523

Interesting that this news is burried in the "business" section of most news sights (CBS, CNN,. MSNBC, Reuters, AP). Only ABC and FNC mention the good news . . . no,the great news. This is the real stuff that actually affects our lives daily. ABC and Fox mention this news in their respective "Other Top Headlines" sections.

All of the news sites this afternoon headline the President's address today as they should, but here are some of the "other" news headlines from each website as of 12:20 PM, CST.

CNN: MORE NEWS - Supreme Court and new abortion issue, Paraketes become pests on power poles, homeless for the holidays due to Katrina, Price of air hits record in NY.

CBS: TOP STORIES - High court hears abortion case, TSA relaxes restrictions, French Dr's transplant face.

ABC: MORE TOP HEADLINES - High court issue, storms don't hold back economy, Dr's perform face transplant, Gregory Peck's star stolen.

MSNBC: MORE TOP STORIES - Toll increases from China blast, Intel, Tivo partner in high tech platform, Honest cabbie strikes gold.

FNC: LATEST HEADLINES - New Military operation in Iraq, Supreme Court abortion case, crews restore power in cold Midwest, GDP Growth higher than expected, Pakistani quake leaves homeless in the cold

Reuters, AP and others don't even mention it in the top headlines for the US.

Bias, could be. If the economy were in the crapper it would be all over the news.

Last edited:
I couldnt have said it better myself.

Unemployment is at 4.9%. Clinton campaigned on 5.5%.

Revenues are way up.

Spending in the last quarter was way up.

Interest rates are amazingly low still.

Real estate is topping off its biggest boom in fifty years.

And all this is despite media-generated uncertainty over Iraq, despite Katrina, despite the fuel issues caused by liberals outlawing refineries.

The media does a remarkable job of keeping anti-Bush sentiment going despite us having “one of the strongest, most flexible, versatile consumer market economies I’ve ever seen.”-Greenspan.

When you point out that the unemployment rate is 4.9 and that Clinton campaigned on 5.5, liberals will try to tell you the jobs being created aren't as good as the ones being lost.

This link has all the stats that prove otherwise. The average wage in America now (WITH minimum wage inclusion) is almost $17/hour....a steady INCREASE.

But don't expect to ever hear such good news from the media.

http://www.bls.gov/ces/home.htm

FireUltra 98 said:

Interesting that this news is burried in the "business" section of most news sights (CBS, CNN,. MSNBC, Reuters, AP). Only ABC and FNC mention the good news . . . no,the great news. This is the real stuff that actually affects our lives daily. ABC and Fox mention this news in their respective "Other Top Headlines" sections.

All of the news sites this afternoon headline the President's address today as they should, but here are some of the "other" news headlines from each website as of 12:20 PM, CST.

CNN: MORE NEWS - Supreme Court and new abortion issue, Paraketes become pests on power poles, homeless for the holidays due to Katrina, Price of air hits record in NY.

CBS: TOP STORIES - High court hears abortion case, TSA relaxes restrictions, French Dr's transplant face.

ABC: MORE TOP HEADLINES - High court issue, storms don't hold back economy, Dr's perform face transplant, Gregory Peck's star stolen.

MSNBC: MORE TOP STORIES - Toll increases from China blast, Intel, Tivo partner in high tech platform, Honest cabbie strikes gold.

FNC: LATEST HEADLINES - New Military operation in Iraq, Supreme Court abortion case, crews restore power in cold Midwest, GDP Growth higher than expected, Pakistani quake leaves homeless in the cold

Bias, could be. If the economy were in the crapper it would be all over the news.

Dear FireUltra,...what did you expect as the democrats don't have the presidency!;)

Instead, what does the media give us except stories, rumor, & hints entangled with garbage like:

Did Bush lie about the war, Howard Dean's glossy statement awhile back like, "How do we know that Bush wasn't involved with 9/11"! Or Is the war in Iraq winnable, American soldiers committing atrocity, Judge Alito a threat to civil rights, Bush spying on Americans, were the New Orleans levees really blown up, why so many poor & black faces in New Orleans, & the Cindy Sheehan's of America calling president Bush a murderer!

Is the media biased? Does a bear relieve itself in the woods?:smile:

FireUltra 98 said:

Fire, that is not true. The first thing I saw when I went on MSNBC about 10 minutes ago was the economy. It was the main story of the website.

aps said:
Fire, that is not true. The first thing I saw when I went on MSNBC about 10 minutes ago was the economy. It was the main story of the website.
You're responding to someone who made the argument on November 30th...

I think the news channels have read his comments and since then have changed their evil ways...;)

cnredd said:
You're responding to someone who made the argument on November 30th...

I think the news channels have read his comments and since then have changed their evil ways...;)

cnredd, I clearly need some sleep! Help!

Tomorrow is my birthday. Will you spank me? :moon:

I'm heading out for dinner. I'll catch 'cha tomorrow (for my spanking, of course). :)

No media outlet covers good news, especially not boring economic news, it's just a sad reality of our times.

aps said:
Tomorrow is my birthday. Will you spank me? :moon:

If you only knew the number of times I hear that every day...:doh

Deegan said:
No media outlet covers good news, especially not boring economic news, it's just a sad reality of our times.

Good news isn't news. Teenagers get drunk, crashes car, four dead- page one. Teenagers get a 4.0 and a full rides at Yale, page ten...section H.

Deegan said:

If the erosion of the free market, the greatest it ever has been under this administration of phony conservatives, is a considered a good thing, then you might be Karl Marx.

Axismaster said:
If the erosion of the free market, the greatest it ever has been under this administration of phony conservatives, is a considered a good thing, then you might be Karl Marx.

You think the Bush Admin. is eroding the free market and that's the most erosion the free markets ever seen? Got any data to support this claim?

Pacridge said:
Good news isn't news. Teenagers get drunk, crashes car, four dead- page one. Teenagers get a 4.0 and a full rides at Yale, page ten...section H.

Exactly. This is not evidence of liberal bias - it's evidence of sensationalist bias. The news doesn't like to report "OH EVERYTHING IS GREAT!" because it doesn't spark interest.

Back
Top Bottom