• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grassley was in on the coup

Well I think Liz Cheney wasn't in on it. But that seems to be about it.

Something like three or four.
Mitt wasn't in on it, I don't think Kinzinger was, sure hope not.
But yeah, it's pretty much the whole goddamn rotten bunch...they've bought Putin's shit wholesale.
They are now militant fascists who will stop at nothing until they have doomed actual democracy to the dustbin of history.

They've been gunning for civil war for long enough that there are kids in school who were born AFTER they began their war chants and threats.

It appears to be coming out that the riot was intended to clear out the Capitol on 1/6 to make sure Pence couldn't formalize the election. I wonder what the plan was for 1/7?
I’m sure it ivoved that strike force across the river with a hotel full of arms…

But yeah, it's pretty much the whole goddamn rotten bunch...they've bought Putin's shit wholesale.
They are now militant fascists who will stop at nothing until they have doomed actual democracy to the dustbin of history.

They've been gunning for civil war for long enough that there are kids in school who were born AFTER they began their war chants and threats.
I’ve said this before but everything I’ve learned since I first had the thought only reinforces it: 2016 was supposed to be the last major election — the last time Republican power would ever hang on the whim of voters. Trump didn’t corrupt the Republican Party - he was their final avatar.

Ah, the good ol' "Prove to me he said that before I say 'nothingburger' anway" routine.
AH, the good old 'I'll swallow and regurgitate any shit they shovel down my gullet, no matter how patently ridiculous.'

AH, the good old 'I'll swallow and regurgitate any shit they shovel down my gullet, no matter how patently ridiculous.'
Your life here must have been so much easier before the troll tactic of sea-lioning was identified and given a name.

Your life here must have been so much easier before the troll tactic of sea-lioning was identified and given a name.
DOes that mean mocking loons for the ridiculous shit they spew? That's been my "tactic" for 20 years.

I’m sure it ivoved that strike force across the river with a hotel full of arms…

Uh ohhhhh, no one is supposed to know about that.

Armed ‘quick reaction force’ was waiting for order to storm Capitol, Justice Dept. says

Last revisited by the news "industry" a year ago.
I dunno, if I was an editor in chief I'd think that was a really long legged story that could blossom with good ratings.
What was it Robert Duvall called the new Beale show in "Network"?

If you want you can skip to the big line here.

:LOL:

I dunno folks...you'd think that would be a big titted hit story, the big arms cache stashed across the river, ready for its moment of glory, activation of a civil war reenactment only with live fire and barenaked intent, waiting for the signal, the signal from Mount Olympus on Pennsylvania Avenue, from inside The Pentagon, the FBI, from inside local law enforcement , even from inside the Secret Service... and from inside Capitol Hill itself.

Don't think it could ever happen again? Really? You people sure about that?
And this armed strike force across the river thing is

"The Armed Strike Force Across the River: Insurrection America 2021"

And it's a goddamn big titted HIT story.

Last edited:
DOes that mean mocking loons for the ridiculous shit they spew? That's been my "tactic" for 20 years.
I know your tactic is mocking people. That’s why nobody gave your sea lioning the time of day.

?? Trump and company had been publicly talking about their theory for weeks that Pence could nullify the election. Seems Grassley was taking a guess that Pence would foil this theory by not showing up. Hilarious that loon Reid is convincing you that they were going to off Pence. LOL

Who said that he said that?
Do you have any concerns that Trump and company were talking publicly for weeks about how Pence could nullify the election? Presumably kick things back to the states so that he could pick up electoral votes in states where republicans were in control?

I just cannot fathom in any other presidency than this, that Americans would not have lost their collective minds over a president seriously contemplating this approach. It is as undemocratic, unAmerican as you can possibly get. But for many, and apparently most all republicans, it's "meh?"

I know your tactic is mocking people. That’s why nobody gave your sea lioning the time of day.
LOL nobody is supporting this ridiculous shit because it's a loon conspiracy. Grassley was in on Trump plot to assassinate Pence. LOL And you loon swallow it. Too funny

Do you have any concerns that Trump and company were talking publicly for weeks about how Pence could nullify the election? Presumably kick things back to the states so that he could pick up electoral votes in states where republicans were in control?

Not really

I just cannot fathom in any other presidency than this, that Americans would not have lost their collective minds over a president seriously contemplating this approach. It is as undemocratic, unAmerican as you can possibly get. But for many, and apparently most all republicans, it's "meh?"

It was "meh." Only hyper-partisan Democrats have lost their minds over January 6th. The rest of us have moved on and are worrying about how to fill the gas tank this week. But it seems more clear every day that January 6th is their only election strategy as they cannot defend the mess after mess after mess that their and Biden's policies have created.

In all seriousness, I think finding out the plan for what was supposed to happen after 1/6 is more important than the actual riot. The riot was a catalyst. I suspect what the GQP wanted to do after they successfully delayed Pence's formalization is probably the scarier stuff.
Exactly. I've always felt that the riot was a small detail in the plans, the treason, the scandal, but that it overshadowed the real story because it was so dramatic, thousands of people storming the Capitol, and risked hiding the real issues as people went after rioters who were pawns. Thank goodness for this Congressional investigation uncovering so much. That story about the riot s going to change.

Not really

It was "meh" Only hyper-partisan Democrats have lost their minds over January 6th. The rest of us have moved on and are worrying about how to fill the gas tank this week. But is seems more clear every day that January 6th is their only election strategy as they cannot defend the mess after mess after mess that their and Biden's policies have created.
Yea, we get that Trumpers think 1/6 was no big deal, but I did not mention 1/6 and my question had nothing to do with the riots. I asked about Trump's attempt to keep himself in office by thwarting the certification of the electoral votes.

If there was an attempted coup in and around this time, this was it. The fact he was unsuccessful in illegally retaining the presidency does not change the illegality of what he was attempting. And had this douche actually been succesfull, it would have created a national crisis of unimaginable scale.

Yea, we get that Trumpers think 1/6 was no big deal, but I did not mention 1/6 and my question had nothing to do with the riots. I asked about Trump's attempt to keep himself in office by thwarting the certification of the electoral votes.

???? Uh, That's January 6th.

If there was an attempted coup in and around this time, this was it. The fact he was unsuccessful in illegally retaining the presidency does not change the illegality of what he was attempting. And had this douche actually been succesfull, it would have created a national crisis of unimaginable scale.

If there was anything illegal Biden's toady Garland would have been all over it months ago. There was nothing illegal. All you have is this sham Partisan Circus committee set up Pelosi and it's clear their only strategy is to throw as much shit on the wall. praying some of it will stick.

It won't. Again, the entire rest of country have moved light years past January 6th and only the fringe left and hyper partisan Democrats are talking about it.

Wow. Seems like everyone except Cheney, Kinzinger, & possibly Romney, Murkowski, Sasse & Collins were in on this. I'm actually a little surprised at Grassley, not that I think he's particularly honorable.

???? Uh, That's January 6th.

If there was anything illegal Biden's toady Garland would have been all over it months ago. There was nothing illegal. All you have is this sham Partisan Circus committee set up Pelosi and it's clear their only strategy is to throw as much shit on the wall. praying some of it will stick.

It won't. Again, the entire rest of country have moved light years past January 6th and only the fringe left and hyper partisan Democrats are talking about it.
OK, fair enough.
So rewind to 2016 when the democrats controlled the White House but HRC appears to have lost the election to Trump. You would have had no problem for Obama and Biden to have declared the vote a sham, a product of fraud, then Biden refuses to certify the electoral votes and send it back to the states if that somehow could have secured the win for HRC.

No problem right?

As for only the "fringe left" caring about the events of 1/6, I appreciate that's the pat answer you partisans are stuck with. It's the approach every juvenile takes when they want to deny they did anything bad.

BTW- ask those who are or will be serving real jail time if they've put 1/6 in the past and forgotten the lies Trump told them that got them where they are.

OK, fair enough.
So rewind to 2016 when the democrats controlled the White House but HRC appears to have lost the election to Trump. You would have had no problem for Obama and Biden to have declared the vote a sham, a product of fraud, then Biden refuses to certify the electoral votes and send it back to the states if that somehow could have secured the win for HRC.

No. Because I don't think it was a sound legal theory and it would have failed then like it failed now.

No problem right?
No problem.

As for only the "fringe left" caring about the events of 1/6, I appreciate that's the pat answer you partisans are stuck with. It's the approach every juvenile takes when they want to deny they did anything bad.

BTW- ask those who are or will be serving real jail time if they've put 1/6 in the past and forgotten the lies Trump told them that got them where they are.

Well, this "juvenile" has developed close to zero tolerance in this sewer for ad hominums. There enough people here on the left that can make an argument with resorting to insults.

So, Have a nice day.

No. Because I don't think it was a sound legal theory and it would have failed then like it failed now.

No problem.

Well, this "juvenile" has developed close to zero tolerance in this sewer for ad hominums. There enough people here on the left that can make an argument with resorting to insults.

So, Have a nice day.
In FWIW department, I was not calling you juvenile. I was suggesting the "just forget about" argument is the approach juveniles take to escape responsibility. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference?

It's pretty bad. Those who attempted the coup can still run for office using the democratic system that they tried to undermine.

Hmmmm..."Undermine"....
I think you might have spelled "CANCEL" wrong. ;)

I forgot where I read it but I think it was the Dallas Morning News that did some surprisingly good investigative reporting a few years ago into the finances of some within the GOP, and some were connected to a sprawling network of shady international finance -- banks in Cyprus and elsewhere. I could be wrong but I wanna say that Grassley was identified in that report. There were the usual suspects, Wilbur Ross, etc.

They're not even trying to hide their contempt for democracy now:

Michigan Republicans picked two candidates — who deny the 2020 election results and have been endorsed by former President Trump — to serve as the state's next top elections officer and top law enforcement official.

It's basically a systemic effort to rig the elections using the law itself. Republicans are done trying to win in the marketplace of idea. It's strictly about getting power now, and when you get to that stage, you're laying down the foundation and the cornerstone for building a political system that functions on authoritarianism.

I’ve said this before but everything I’ve learned since I first had the thought only reinforces it: 2016 was supposed to be the last major election — the last time Republican power would ever hang on the whim of voters. Trump didn’t corrupt the Republican Party - he was their final avatar.
Well shit, I sure do hope you're right.

Back
Top Bottom