• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Graphic cards in stock...Finally!

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I finally was able to order a new graphics card, after 2 years of waiting! I ordered a 3070Ti off of Amazon, and was able to cash in my coin pot on Coinstar and get an Amazon gift card for $337, which went a long way towards purchase. The card comes tomorrow.

Upgrading from a 1060 card. My processor is getting a bit old, its a 6 core i5-8600 running at 3.10Ghz. I also have 32 gigs of RAM, and one of those SSD drives that plugs straight into the motherboard, with 571 GB free (I will need it when I buy and install the new Flight Simulator).

The reason no one could buy a good 3000 series graphic card has been the chip shortage, and because all the asshole bitcoin miners who bought up all the cards. Well, now most of the cards have software in them that prevents them from being bitcoin miners, and because of that we have cards in stock.

I was going to get a 3080 card, but I couldn't justify all that cost, the 3070ti is overclocked and fast. And, of course, the day I put in the order, my gas water heater for the house died, it was a 31 year old heater, so, its time had come, but it was a $1600 bill for that....and yes, my showers now are hot and glorious.

How much did you get the 3070Ti for?

I finally was able to order a new graphics card, after 2 years of waiting! I ordered a 3070Ti off of Amazon, and was able to cash in my coin pot on Coinstar and get an Amazon gift card for $337, which went a long way towards purchase. The card comes tomorrow.

Upgrading from a 1060 card. My processor is getting a bit old, its a 6 core i5-8600 running at 3.10Ghz. I also have 32 gigs of RAM, and one of those SSD drives that plugs straight into the motherboard, with 571 GB free (I will need it when I buy and install the new Flight Simulator).

The reason no one could buy a good 3000 series graphic card has been the chip shortage, and because all the asshole bitcoin miners who bought up all the cards. Well, now most of the cards have software in them that prevents them from being bitcoin miners, and because of that we have cards in stock.

I was going to get a 3080 card, but I couldn't justify all that cost, the 3070ti is overclocked and fast. And, of course, the day I put in the order, my gas water heater for the house died, it was a 31 year old heater, so, its time had come, but it was a $1600 bill for that....and yes, my showers now are hot and glorious.

My son-in-law had been looking for years well. My daughter, who is an IT security engineer and an online shopper extraordinaire, finally took the bull by the horns in late December(?) and found one at a Best Buy about two hours from their house. They had to go pick it up, Best Buy would not mail it.

Congrats on getting one

I had to by a pre-built to get the graphics card I wanted

I ended up buying a 3060 for $500. not a great deal but you take what you can in this market.

Newegg and Amazon have plenty of 3000 series cards now available, one week delivery, I get mine tomorrow.

Two years ago, when I foolishly thought I'd be able to get a card quickly, I added a 750 watt power supply to the box, so I should have more than enough power to run this beast.

Yea, finally in stock just as the 40XX series is about to launch with reportedly double the performance of the 30XX series...

But congrats on your new card :)

I got the card today, it is enormous, managed to fit it into my box, and connect 2 separate 8 pin connectors to it.

I am running Red Dead Redemption in 4K with every slider set to ultra, and it is smooth as silk.

I ran the 3d Mark software with the 1060, it had a score of 4328 with 27 and 24 frames per second, this one gave me a score of 11978 with 98.74 and 84.86 frames per second.

This is one fast card....

Yea, finally in stock just as the 40XX series is about to launch with reportedly double the performance of the 30XX series...

But congrats on your new card :)

The 3090ti hasn't even launched yet and the price for those are already at $4000.

Grabbing a 40 series isn't going to happen anytime soon and no way the Nvidia was able to double performance in 18 months. A 3090 isn't even double a 1080ti and those are 3 and a half years apart

Congrats on the card. I wonder how the new ones coming out compare and what their availability will be.

The only way I was able to get a graphics card was regularly checking my local Micro Center for their house brand PowerSpec PCs. To their credit, they didn't insanely increase the price of parts, including graphics cards, for the house brand pre-builts... they just sold like hotcakes when they came into the store. When I bought the system I could have pulled the RTX3080 out of the PC and sold it on Ebay for more than the cost of the machine.

AMD is such a weird company... I mean, all chip manufacturers are weird, but NVIDIA seems incapable of going more than a couple years without flushing its good will down the toilet.

The latest sign that NVIDIA just doesn't understand basic economics is the coming disastrously bad release of the GTX1630, a card that costs MORE than the 1650, but offers less performance.

I can't imagine this card will be purchased by anyone on purpose.

The only reason this card exists, it would seem, if to feed system integrators making lowest of low end "gaming" PCs who can hide the price behind other corner cutting.

I would guess they will be showing up in Walmart desktops.

I have the mobo plug-in SSD drive, I wish I could remember the proper name for it, I think it's called an M2 drive? Is that right?
I am getting one of those 3070's pretty soon, and 800 something bucks is a good price.
I just upgraded to the 12th Gen i7-12700K proc, I think it was called Alder-something...Arthur Lake? No wait, Arthur Lake was Dagwood Bumstead.

dagwoods1.png
Oh well, Alder something processor, it's pretty amazing, twenty threads and 12 cores.
64 GB DDR5 4800 MT RAM at the moment but I'd like to explore more...maybe later.

First thing I AM going to do ASAP is continue swapping out my remaining hard drives for solid state, half of them ARE right now but I still have two which are spinners, because
they are 12 TB each. A 12TB SSD is frightfully expensive still.

I have the mobo plug-in SSD drive, I wish I could remember the proper name for it, I think it's called an M2 drive? Is that right?
I am getting one of those 3070's pretty soon, and 800 something bucks is a good price.
I just upgraded to the 12th Gen i7-12700K proc, I think it was called Alder-something...Arthur Lake? No wait, Arthur Lake was Dagwood Bumstead.

View attachment 67399494
Oh well, Alder something processor, it's pretty amazing, twenty threads and 12 cores.
64 GB DDR5 4800 MT RAM at the moment but I'd like to explore more...maybe later.

First thing I AM going to do ASAP is continue swapping out my remaining hard drives for solid state, half of them ARE right now but I still have two which are spinners, because
they are 12 TB each. A 12TB SSD is frightfully expensive still.

In the majority of use cases, spinning disks still get the job done. Internal M.2 drives are great if you are using them to edit video, but for bulk loading and unloading you don't really save much time.

Along those same lines, there isn't much difference in regular use between M.2 and USB SSDs. Again, the huge speeds of M.2 over USB 3.x really only show up in applications with massive amounts of small reads and rights (like video scrubbing, for instance). After a lot of testing of load times, as a gaming nerd and professional storage professional, I've settled on moving my Steam libraries to an external 16TB spinning disk with a handful of games that have horrible load times (looking at you Red Dead 2) sitting on a couple 2TB USB3.2 drives.

All that said, if your storage needs aren't that great, and you can't waste a second of your life on load times, M.2 drives are still pretty cool.

As the Bitcoin market crashes, I hope that graphics cards will become more widely available.

Back
Top Bottom