• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Granholm claims US can 'learn from what China is doing'

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
astounding level of ignorance here, Chuina is making a lot of hot air promises, and more then willing to see the west solar panels -
but China is a heavy "carbon pollutant"
During an interview with SXSW Studio host Wajahat Ali, Granholm was asked what could be done to hold both China and the U.S. accountable for their contributions to climate change, to which she said the U.S. is working to get other countries to agree to "very aggressive targets" to prevent climate change, according to Fox News.

"But, I think China has done — has been very sensitive and has actually invested a lot in their solutions to achieve their goals," Granholm said. "So we’re — we’re hopeful that, you know, we can all learn from what China is doing."
Granholm added that the amount of money China is investing "in clean energy is actually, you know, encouraging."

The secretary's statement regarding China comes after the country recently hit its coal-production record in 2022. A total of "55% of China’s energy" now comes from fossil fuel "compared to 11% in the U.S.," according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

China has an unlimited amount of money to throw around into renewable energy research while we're broke. Also they're very keen on how to cash in our energy stimulus funding. Use Obama's solar panel fiasco as an example.

The secretary's statement regarding China comes after the country recently hit its coal-production record in 2022. A total of "55% of China’s energy" now comes from fossil fuel "compared to 11% in the U.S.," according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Did you check the claim in the article. Because the EIA website says something different.

In 2022, about 4,243 billion kilowatthours (kWh) (or about 4.24 trillion kWh) of electricity were generated at utility-scale electricity generation facilities in the United States.1 About 60% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels—coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases.

If by “fossil fuel” the article means just coal, it’s 19.5%.

Regardless, the investment China is making into clean energy is something to emulate.

Did you check the claim in the article. Because the EIA website says something different.

If by “fossil fuel” the article means just coal, it’s 19.5%.

Regardless, the investment China is making into clean energy is something to emulate.
they have a 2 track energy supply plan -yes they are growing renewables, but they use a tremendous amount of coal.
And because Paris calls them a "developing country" they get away with it.

The US decarbonized at a very good rate last decade -we did it by nat gas - we led the world in Co2 emission reductions
much better then coal
But we pay into Paris and China doesn't..part of the problem. and Biden doesnt want nat gas to expand

The big increase in China's emissions per capita came during the Bush administration. Then you had a president that claimed that it soon would be possible to capture CO2 emissions from coal plants. So that you could invest in "clean coal". While the increase have slowed down since than and you even have had a decline some years. There China is also now investering a lot into renewable energy and electric cars.

While at the same time China just like other countries could do a lot more. There EU for example are now adding a carbon tax on imports to encourage more action.

While at the same investments into renewable energy and other green technologies have lead to economy of scale and innovation that have drastically reduced costs. There countinued investments can make green technologies even more competitive both in Western countries, China and the rest of the world.

China has an unlimited amount of money to throw around into renewable energy research while we're broke. Also they're very keen on how to cash in our energy stimulus funding. Use Obama's solar panel fiasco as an example.

The Energy Loan Program under Obama was very successful and led to a lot of innovation.

astounding level of ignorance here, Chuina is making a lot of hot air promises, and more then willing to see the west solar panels -
During an interview with SXSW Studio host Wajahat Ali, Granholm was asked what could be done to hold both China and the U.S. accountable for their contributions to climate change, to which she said the U.S. is working to get other countries to agree to "very aggressive targets" to prevent climate change, according to Fox News.

"But, I think China has done — has been very sensitive and has actually invested a lot in their solutions to achieve their goals," Granholm said. "So we’re — we’re hopeful that, you know, we can all learn from what China is doing."
Granholm added that the amount of money China is investing "in clean energy is actually, you know, encouraging."

She is such an idiot. Apparently she didn't get the memo on that China/coal thing.

She is such an idiot. Apparently she didn't get the memo on that China/coal thing.
or Biden the memo on nat gas. Thise Atlantic ocean windfarms are a nightmare
All B iden has to do is start talkig nuclear. Cheap reliable, carbon free We buy solar panels from China as well

All B iden has to do is start talkig nuclear.
Democrats are anti-nuke power for the most part. They'd rather have ugly landscape/view-blighting wind turbines rather then a nuclear power plant.

We buy solar panels from China as well
He's gotta help Hunter's business partners

The local Nissan dealer has 24 Leaf electric vehicles in stock, with prices ranging from $34,855 to $43,410, each with a $4,995 “market adjustment” over the MSRP. That seems to be a large inventory, suggesting that potential buyers aren’t accepting the “market adjustment.” I wonder what is going on in the dealer’s mind. Something doesn’t make sense.

The local Nissan dealer has 24 Leaf electric vehicles in stock, with prices ranging from $34,855 to $43,410, each with a $4,995 “market adjustment” over the MSRP. That seems to be a large inventory, suggesting that potential buyers aren’t accepting the “market adjustment.” I wonder what is going on in the dealer’s mind. Something doesn’t make sense.
With only a 149 mile published range, it is really only a second vehicle for quick trips around town.
The range anxiety seen with cars with 300 mile ranges is magnified.
Look at what other choice a buyer has in that price range.
Toyota Camry Hybrid, 52 mpg
MSRP $28,355
One is a toy, the other is a real car that could be used in town, or on a cross country road trip, without any concerns.
The Camry 13.2 gallon tank has 686 miles of range.

With only a 149 mile published range, it is really only a second vehicle for quick trips around town.
The range anxiety seen with cars with 300 mile ranges is magnified.
Look at what other choice a buyer has in that price range.
Toyota Camry Hybrid, 52 mpg
MSRP $28,355
One is a toy, the other is a real car that could be used in town, or on a cross country road trip, without any concerns.
The Camry 13.2 gallon tank has 686 miles of range.
Which makes the dealer's $4,995 markup even more puzzling.

Which makes the dealer's $4,995 markup even more puzzling.
Yep! I guess they are hopping for people who look at the status symbol before the price and functionality.
My Father was a world class portrait artist, and he and my mother would attend lots of openings of struggling
artist. At one show a now famous artist could not sell a single piece of his work, which he had priced in the $200 to $300
range. My Mother told him to add a zero, because if he did not think his work had value, no one else would.
He change his prices and the show sold out, and he went on to fame and fortune.
People perceive value in strange ways, and I think the dealer is hoping to capitalize on that.

Yep! I guess they are hopping for people who look at the status symbol before the price and functionality.
My Father was a world class portrait artist, and he and my mother would attend lots of openings of struggling
artist. At one show a now famous artist could not sell a single piece of his work, which he had priced in the $200 to $300
range. My Mother told him to add a zero, because if he did not think his work had value, no one else would.
He change his prices and the show sold out, and he went on to fame and fortune.
People perceive value in strange ways, and I think the dealer is hoping to capitalize on that.
Thank you for that message. I may apply that lesson to my own creative projects and see if it works out.

Boy, you have a lot of misinformation in one post.

Atmospheric CO2 is not a pollutant. It is an essential molecule that complex life on this planet could not live without. Calling atmospheric CO2 a "pollutant" demonstrates a sick and twisted hatred for all life on the planet.

China is providing its population with affordable power and as a result China is leaving its third-world status behind and improving the standard of living for its population. We did the same thing beginning in the late 19th century.

The US uses a lot more than 11% of fossil fuels for power. In Alaska alone for the year 2021 this was the power distribution:
  1. Natural Gas = 41%;
  2. Hydroelectric = 27.6%;
  3. Petroleum = 14.9%;
  4. Coal = 13.6%;
  5. Wind = 2.1%;
  6. Biomass = 0.6%; and
  7. Solar = 0.2%
Which puts 69.5% of Alaska's power originating from fossil fuels.

Boy, you have a lot of misinformation in one post.

Atmospheric CO2 is not a pollutant. It is an essential molecule that complex life on this planet could not live without. Calling atmospheric CO2 a "pollutant" demonstrates a sick and twisted hatred for all life on the planet.

China is providing its population with affordable power and as a result China is leaving its third-world status behind and improving the standard of living for its population. We did the same thing beginning in the late 19th century.

The US uses a lot more than 11% of fossil fuels for power. In Alaska alone for the year 2021 this was the power distribution:
  1. Natural Gas = 41%;
  2. Hydroelectric = 27.6%;
  3. Petroleum = 14.9%;
  4. Coal = 13.6%;
  5. Wind = 2.1%;
  6. Biomass = 0.6%; and
  7. Solar = 0.2%
Which puts 69.5% of Alaska's power originating from fossil fuels.
In Alaska it's kinda hard to get those solar panels to operate in the winter, maybe that accounts for the 0.2%

In Alaska it's kinda hard to get those solar panels to operate in the winter, maybe that accounts for the 0.2%
Actually, solar is more productive than wind in Alaska. We just have more wind generators than solar panels.

While it is true that solar panels are virtually useless during the Winter in Alaska, they are working almost non-stop during the Summer. Whereas wind generators only function in wind speeds between 5 and 45 mph, and in temperatures above freezing. Which means that the wind generators in Alaska need diesel generators to keep them warm and functioning during the Winter. So much for being "green" energy.

Alaska might not be the best example to cite. It is literally an outlier.

Especially in Barrow
The town of Barrow ceased to exist in 2016. It is called by its Inupiat name Utqiaġvik. Barrow was the name given to Point Barrow in 1825 named after Sir John Barrow of the British Admiralty, and non-Inupiat speakers (a.k.a. Europeans) couldn't pronounce the Inupiat name, so they just called it by the name of the point of land instead.

The town of Barrow ceased to exist in 2016. It is called by its Inupiat name Utqiaġvik.
That's nice. I'll call it the name that's more pronounceable.

They'd rather have ugly landscape/view-blighting wind turbines rather then a nuclear power plant.

Well yeah, since one is hazardous and produces nuclear waste, and the other runs on wind...yeah I'd say the wind farm would probably be better all things considered. DERP.

ffs That was brilliant LMAO.

Back
Top Bottom