• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grammar Question

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Is there a hard and fast rule as to the use of “a” and “an” in front of an “H?”

Some examples come to mind:

1) an Hispanic

2) a history lesson, (an just doesn’t sound right in front of “history”)

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

etc

1) an Hispanic

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

etc

For me personally, an history lesson comes across as odd. An honor, a hurricane, a/an Hispanic, sounds right

There are very few people today who still put an before the words hundred or history, for the simple reason that it would sound funny. Yet some have held onto the notion that historic requires an an before it. Should anyone tell you that you’ve made a mistake in this matter you may always fall back on the sage advice offered above by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary of English Usage and say “I am choosing the article that suits my own pronunciation.”

Well, as a tertiary educated historian myself, I, and my peers, have always employed 'an' before the 'h' (e.g. an historian), although the hurricane example appears to be an exception to the rule.

I looked it up a few months ago because I am a grammar freak. There was not any rule that made me take pause about whatever the heck I was looking up. It was probably whether one should use "an history lesson" lesson or "an history professor" at some juncture. The answer was no.

Well, as a tertiary educated historian myself, I, and my peers, have always employed 'an' before the 'h' (e.g. an historian), although the hurricane example appears to be an exception to the rule.

What is a tertiary educated historian? I can translate it, but I never heard the term before.

1) an Hispanic

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

etc
My understanding is that both are acceptable.

Use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound.

What is a tertiary educated historian? I can translate it, but I never heard the term before.

It's is not a term as such, but I merely employed it to distinguish from an amateur, or populist historian. I could have said 'BA [Hons.] in Ancient History and the Classics', but the last time I did that, someone accused me of being pompous, so I chose to make the distinction with 'tertiary educated'. I suppose someone will now call that pompous-not you of course. I clearly remember all the lecturers using 'an' before the 'h', as prior to that, I always thought it was incorrect, but it may have been an affectation. I think both are acceptable.

Not sure what a tertiary education is, an historian sounds correct what about a history class?

Use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound.
Exactly. If the 'H' is silent, use an. If it's sounded, like horrible half-witted hamster, use a.

It's is not a term as such, but I merely employed it to distinguish from an amateur, or populist historian. I could have said 'BA [Hons.] in Ancient History and the Classics', but the last time I did that, someone accused me of being pompous, so I chose to make the distinction with 'tertiary educated'. I suppose someone will now call that pompous-not you of course. I clearly remember all the lecturers using 'an' before the 'h', as prior to that, I always thought it was incorrect, but it may have been an affectation.
Doesn’t ‘tertiary’ refer to the third level of something? BA, (Bachelor of Arts) would be secondary level, right? Masters, PHD to follow......

Not sure what a tertiary education is, an historian sounds correct what about a history class?

The first, I just explained above. I think both 'a' history class and 'an' history class are acceptable. The 'h' seems to be an exception to the rule of consonants and vowels, and may be somewhat anachronistic.

Doesn’t ‘tertiary’ refer to the third level of something? BA, (Bachelor of Arts) would be secondary level, right? Masters, PHD to follow......

No, secondary would indicate high school in Australia. One can learn history at a primary level, then expand upon it at a secondary level (high school) and then the tertiary level is university.

It's is not a term as such, but I merely employed it to distinguish from an amateur, or populist historian. I could have said 'BA [Hons.] in Ancient History and the Classics', but the last time I did that, someone accused me of being pompous, so I chose to make the distinction with 'tertiary educated'. I suppose someone will now call that pompous-not you of course.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black. 📚

I am pleased to meet a fellow historian!

I tend not to call myself an historian (or a historian) because I changed careers. I am ancient and when I was very young I thought I was cut out to be an academic (which I was not). I received a BA and an MA in history when I was quite young and enrolled in a Ph.D program in Modern European History. I taught high school history during the day and had my graduate school classes at night. But I was teaching at a private girls' school since I was not a certified teacher (no education classes). I was adviser to the sophomore class and I had teenage girls in my office crying about fights with their mothers and fights with their boyfriends all the time. I decided I liked the affective part of teaching more. Since I was married, my husband said I could just drop out of the Ph.D. program and he would pay my tuition to get another master's degree in social work, which I did. That way I was trained to help teenagers and children with mental health issues. So...not really a historian.

I tend not to call myself an historian (or a historian) because I changed careers. I am ancient and when I was very young I thought I was cut out to be an academic (which I was not). I received a BA and an MA in history when I was quite young and enrolled in a Ph.D program in Modern European History. I taught high school history during the day and had my graduate school classes at night. But I was teaching at a private girls' school since I was not a certified teacher (no education classes). I was adviser to the sophomore class and I had teenage girls in my office crying about fights with their mothers and fights with their boyfriends all the time. I decided I liked the affective part of teaching more. Since I was married, my husband said I could just drop out of the Ph.D. program and he would pay my tuition to get another master's degree in social work, which I did. That way I was trained to help teenagers and children with mental health issues. So...not really a historian.

I respectfully disagree, as you will always use that which you learned and employ the attendant skills throughout your life, and your qualifications do not go away simply because you chose another path. I now work liaising between art educators and government promoting art in education, but that doesn't nullify my qualifications in any way, even though I haven't written a paper in years. I am still called upon occasionally to utilize my expertise in Roman numismatics, but that's about it.

E.T.A. I only ever call myself an historian in the context of discussing history and primarily when discussing the popular misconceptions of Roman sociology and history. As you are aware, there are quite a few contentious points one faces when discussing popular notions of a period, as opposed to the reality, e.g. Rome fell because it was decadent etc.

Last edited:
1) an Hispanic

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

It is a simple rule and an Hispanic is grammatically incorrect. Using an and a does not depend on the spelling of the word it comes before, it depends on the pronunciation of the word. In most cases, an is used before words that begin with vowels (a, e, i, o u.): an honor /ˈɒnə/ .

Don't you mean, "an" tertiary educated historian?

1) an Hispanic

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

etc
Nothing in English is a hard and fast rule, But as a general rule of thumb, if the word starts with vowel sound, regardless of actual letter, you use "an". Otherwise, "a".

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

The first, I just explained above. I think both 'a' history class and 'an' history class are acceptable. The 'h' seems to be an exception to the rule of consonants and vowels, and may be somewhat anachronistic.
An history class??? You must be joking, surely.

1) an Hispanic

3) a hurricane

4) an honor

etc

Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, University of Chicago Press, (5.72) says that the choice depends on the sound of the word it precedes. “A” comes before words with a consonant sound, no matter how the word is spelled. Further, an “an” comes before words with a vowel sound.

Examples: a historic occasion — an X-Files episode.

Associated Press Stylebook says that a historic event is an important occurrence, one that stands out in history.

Many people say, “An historical occasion,” but “an historical” isn’t used regularly in American English. Using “an” is common, but not universally accepted by experts. Here’s how to figure out which article to use:

Before a word starting with a pronounced, breathy “h,” use “a.” Examples: A hotel; A happy time; A historical day; A healthy, happy baby.

Use “an” with words beginning with an unpronounced “h.” Examples: An herb garden; an hour; an honor; An heir.

Back
Top Bottom