• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Graham holds 6-point lead in Senate race: poll

Billionaires are plowing money into Democratic Party candidates ever since Biden promised a group of billionaires he would not raise their taxes or change anything else that affects them negatively.
What? Billionaires are going to see their taxes go up under Biden. The top tax bracket is going back to 39% and the cap on earnings for SS withholding is going away.

Making high earners pay
Social Security is funded through a 12.4% tax on the first $137,700 (in 2020) of workers’ annual wages (half is paid by the employer, half by the employee). A blue-collar worker making $50,000 will have his entire income taxed at 12.4%, while a CEO making $10 million will have nearly $9.9 million exempt from taxation.

Unsurprisingly, most Americans pay more in payroll taxes than in income taxes. Based on the structure of the Social Security payroll tax, poor and working-class people actually pay higher rates than the rich.
Biden has proposed that earnings above $400,000 become subject to taxation. With this change, our aforementioned CEO would see his effective tax rate jump from 0.2% to 12.1%.
Biden then reinvests these revenues in higher Social Security benefits for the poor.
As a result, hundreds of thousands of seniors would be pulled out of poverty — without a single dime being spent by the middle class.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/l...-that-goes-after-the-indolent-rich-2020-07-02

For profit too. Just eliminating Trump's tariffs on China is worth an immediately over half a TRILLION dollars to the super rich who profit off Chinese non-white and other foreign child labor sweat/slave factories. Jeff Bezos - Amazon and the Washington Post - is making an extra billion dollars a week over what he was already raking in as the government obliterates competing brick and mortar stores by literally outlawing them so he can sell Chinese made products. Same for the WalMart heirs - the richest family in America at over $100 billion - with over 95% of what is sold in WalMart made in China.

Quid Pro Quo China Joe is the PERFECT candidate for the richest people on earth.
Eliminating the China tariffs will save American consumers billions and the Govt. will save billions in agricultural subsidies too. Trumps trade war is a abject failure and the trade deficit has grown since he has been in office.

Under Trump’s trade wars:
The US trade deficit reached its highest point since the Great Recession, $684.1 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018.2
  • The US trade deficit in goods is the largest of all time and more than $100 billion worse than any year under the Obama Administration.3
  • The US economy has lost nearly 200,000 full-time jobs and $64 billion in long-term real GDP, according to the Tax Foundation4
  • The CBO reports that under the current tariff schedule, consumer prices will rise by 0.5%, reducing average real household income by about $1300.5
  • Trump promised that tariffs would reduce our dependence on Chinese imports, incentivizing us to buy more goods “Made in the USA”. Instead, Taiwanese, Mexican, and Vietnamese imports are booming.
  • Taxpayers are spending $28 billion to bail out farmers who are unable to export their crops abroad.6In 2019, farm debt is projected to reach a record-high of $416 billion.7

https://www.thirdway.org/memo/trumps-costly-trade-wars

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) leads Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison by 6 points, according to a Morning Consult poll released Tuesday.

Graham leads Harrison 48 percent to 42 percent in the poll, the first in several weeks not to show the race as a dead heat. The survey was conducted this month.

The South Carolina Republican has been a top target for Democrats, galvanized by his staunch support of President Trump
trumpdonald_070117getty.jpg
DONALD JOHN TRUMPTwo ethics groups call on House to begin impeachment inquiry against BarrTrump relishes return to large rallies following COVID-19 diagnosisMcGrath: McConnell 'can't get it done' on COVID-19 reliefMORE and his status as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, a perch from which he vocally supported Trump's second Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh,
==============================================
Graham is a 2-faced lizard.
polls i've seen show graham down 2-3pts

Sure it does.

Much like Ted Cruz, the Democratic machine did their best to convince you that their candidate could beat a prominent incumbent Senator in a solidly red state. They failed then and they're going to fail now.

Different state, same story.

No it does not. You are talking about Ted Cruz. I am talking about Lindsey Graham. If you want to give me a rebuttal, you are REQUIRED to talk about the South Carolina Senate race ONLY.

No it does not. You are talking about Ted Cruz. I am talking about Lindsey Graham. If you want to give me a rebuttal, you are REQUIRED to talk about the South Carolina Senate race ONLY.
I already gave you my rebuttal.

Graham is going to win... just like Ted Cruz.

Of course I have a rebuttal.

Just like Ted Cruz, Graham's opponents have convinced you that there was actually a chance to win the seat. There never was a chance. Not with Ted Cruz and not with Lindsey Graham. It was all make believe from the beginning.

Sorry to be the one who has to tell you.

Cruz ended up winning by less than 3% and every poll in that race over the last month and a half ended up overestimating Cruz's victory margin. I'm not sure that's the best example. If the polls in that race were off in the same amount as this one, then Graham is losing right now.

That's certainly not how you should look at it, because they are completely different races in completely different environments, and there's very little that they have in common besides a Democrat raising outrageous sums of money in a Republican state. But if you do directly compare them, it actually bodes ill for Graham.

I agree that Graham is a heavy, heavy favorite to win, but I strongly disagree that this is anything like the Cruz race. Texas and South Carolina are completely different. Texas is a relatively elastic state that legitimately did shift left in 2016 and 2018 up and down the ballot. Cruz was not the only statewide Texas Republican who came within a few points of losing in 2018 after two decades of Republican double digit dominance even during Democratic wave years like 2006. South Carolina, on the other hand, is one of the least elastic states in the country and has not really shown any signs of a partisan shift one way or another outside of maybe the Charleston area.

If Lindsey Graham gets re-elected, it will show that the south won't change one iota.

How can you be that stupid? You know South Carolina is only one state and barring a miracle, this Senate race will not be a blowout for Lindsey Graham. I can't believe you are totally unaware North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Texas are all tossups or leaning blue at this time for at least one federal contest.

Apparently Harrison doesn’t. For if he did maybe all that money would have put a lot of food on the tables of those who he wants to represent.

Where do you think the money used for campaigns typically is spent? Does that spending pay for paychecks, etc?

Where do you think the money used for campaigns typically is spent? Does that spending pay for paychecks, etc?
Ads.

How much do you think his paid staff makes? The average salary of a paid campaign staff member is about $35,000. Most are voluntary staff. But by all means if you have the actual figures post them.

Ads.

How much do you think his paid staff makes? The average salary of a paid campaign staff member is about $35,000. Most are voluntary staff. But by all means if you have the actual figures post them.

And what happens to that money that is paid for ads? Does it just disappear or is it used to pay for salaries and goods and services?

I thought conservatives were all about trickle down.

And what happens to that money that is paid for ads? Does it just disappear or is it used to pay for salaries and goods and services?

I thought conservatives were all about trickle down.
The ad industry makes a ton of money.

I made my point. I think you got it but . . . .

Cruz ended up winning by less than 3% and every poll in that race over the last month and a half ended up overestimating Cruz's victory margin. I'm not sure that's the best example. If the polls in that race were off in the same amount as this one, then Graham is losing right now.

That's certainly not how you should look at it, because they are completely different races in completely different environments, and there's very little that they have in common besides a Democrat raising outrageous sums of money in a Republican state. But if you do directly compare them, it actually bodes ill for Graham.

I agree that Graham is a heavy, heavy favorite to win, but I strongly disagree that this is anything like the Cruz race. Texas and South Carolina are completely different. Texas is a relatively elastic state that legitimately did shift left in 2016 and 2018 up and down the ballot. Cruz was not the only statewide Texas Republican who came within a few points of losing in 2018 after two decades of Republican double digit dominance even during Democratic wave years like 2006. South Carolina, on the other hand, is one of the least elastic states in the country and has not really shown any signs of a partisan shift one way or another outside of maybe the Charleston area.
One thing both have in common is the Democrat in both races was flooded with outside money. O'Rourke raised $80 million for his campaign, which was the highest amount ever raised by a U.S. Senate candidate which the overwhelming amount came from outside the state. Beto held the record in the amount of money raised until Jaime Harrison in the 2020 South Carolina election who has now taken the lead of outside money.

My thought on all this is "money can't by you love". Graham will win.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) leads Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison by 6 points, according to a Morning Consult poll released Tuesday.

Graham leads Harrison 48 percent to 42 percent in the poll, the first in several weeks not to show the race as a dead heat. The survey was conducted this month.

The South Carolina Republican has been a top target for Democrats, galvanized by his staunch support of President Trump
trumpdonald_070117getty.jpg
DONALD JOHN TRUMPTwo ethics groups call on House to begin impeachment inquiry against BarrTrump relishes return to large rallies following COVID-19 diagnosisMcGrath: McConnell 'can't get it done' on COVID-19 reliefMORE and his status as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, a perch from which he vocally supported Trump's second Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh,
==============================================
Graham is a 2-faced lizard.

Back
Top Bottom