• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Graham 'hell bent' on filling next Supreme Court vacancy with conservative justice, amid Ginsburg he

MovingPictures

WE'LL DO IT LIVE!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...rmits-in-exchange-for-border-wall-graham-says

South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham told "Fox News Sunday" that he is "hell-bent" on ensuring that the next Supreme Court vacancy -- whether it is ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat or otherwise -- is filled by a conservative, regardless of what outrage follows from the left.

Graham, the new chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, emphasized that former Democratic Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid eliminated the Senate filibuster for federal appellate judicial nominees in 2013. Republicans later retaliated by eliminating the filibuster for Supreme Court appointments, meaning that a simple majority -- rather than a 60-vote supermajority -- is sufficient to confirm new Supreme Court nominees.

"My Democratic colleagues felt when they were in charge we should confirm judges by a majority vote," Graham told Fox News' Chris Wallace. "They changed the rules to accommodate President Obama. They tried to stack the court. They never thought [Hillary] Clinton would lose. So what you’re gonna have is Harry Reid’s and Chuck Schumer’s desire to stack the court on their Democratic watch has come back to haunt them.

"If there is an opening, whether it’s Ginsburg or anybody else, I will urge the president to nominate a qualified conservative and hopefully those people will get through – that person will get through," Graham continued. "And I expect it to be along party lines, and this is what happens when you change the rules. This has come back to bite ' em. I predicted it would. And we’ll see. I hope Justice Ginsburg serves for a long time. But if there’s an opening on this court, I’m going to be hell-bent to put a conservative to replace whoever steps down for whatever reason."

This POS has had the image of a "reasonable" conservative for far too long.

Without getting lost on the actual history of the filibuster debacle (where Republicans refused to vote for any judicial nominees because they were Obama's), this man just drips with a desire to be as malicious as he possibly can to the other side of the country as possible - it has nothing to do with what's right for the country.

He is a scumbag for his open glee at the thought of Ginsburg dying while Trump is on the bench, so he can pack the court with more wackos.

Hey, Lindsey, you know the Democrats can always change the rules for the size of the court if you do that, right? Probably not.

Isn't this the guy that called Trump a "jackass" said he should "go to hell!", and that Trump would "destroy the Republican party, and we'd deserve it!"?. And now here he is after all the things he's said about him, throwing away his public dignity to become another one of Trump's Island of Misfit Toys.

I hope that of all the seats that flip to the Democrats in 2020, his is the upset of the night.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...rmits-in-exchange-for-border-wall-graham-says

Without getting lost on the actual history of the filibuster debacle (where Republicans refused to vote for any judicial nominees because they were Obama's), this man just drips with a desire to be as malicious as he possibly can to the other side of the country as possible - it has nothing to do with what's right for the country.

He is a scumbag for his open glee at the thought of Ginsburg dying while Trump is on the bench, so he can pack the court with more wackos.

Hey, Lindsey, you know the Democrats can always change the rules for the size of the court if you do that, right? Probably not.

Isn't this the guy that called Trump a "jackass" said he should "go to hell!", and that Trump would "destroy the Republican party, and we'd deserve it!"?. And now here he is after all the things he's said about him, throwing away his public dignity to become another one of Trump's Island of Misfit Toys.

I hope that of all the seats that flip to the Democrats in 2020, his is the upset of the night.

LOL... "Kettle, meet pot".

Have you forgotten the Kavenaugh debacle - he was too conservative and you tried to destroy him. Karma bites. Your treatment of Kavenaugh got additional seats in the Senate, and now Republicans have a majority so they really don't need democrat votes at all. Cry me a river.

Allow me to punch your outrage card. Oh. It's full again...

Have you forgotten the Kavenaugh debacle - he was too conservative and you tried to destroy him. Karma bites. Your treatment of Kavenaugh got additional seats in the Senate, and now Republicans have a majority so they really don't need democrat votes at all. Cry me a river.

The OP should do some research on Harry Reid and the nuclear option.

What did everyone think he would say, that all of a sudden Lindsey Graham would all of a sudden want a liberal on the court and claim diversity?

In case anyone is curious I highly doubt he'll buy a Prius and hang out with Al Gore either.

(To the point of the article though, politically this door was opened up. Now it is even a bigger mess when it comes to appointments and the confirmation process.)

What are you going on about? There is nothing malicious going on nor was there a demonstrated glee. You're making up a bunch of stupid crap in an attempt to justify your tantrum. I would expect Dems to do the very same thing if they were in the same seat.

Get over yourself.

And your nonsense earned us a landslide victory in the House, which has resulted Republicans having to deal with a Democratic party that can't be pushed around anymore, so you can forget the vanity wall ever happening.

The OP should do some research on Harry Reid and the nuclear option.

Yup. But that would involve holding Dems responsible.

What are you going on about? There is nothing malicious going on nor was there a demonstrated glee. You're making up a bunch of stupid crap in an attempt to justify your tantrum. I would expect Dems to do the very same thing if they were in the same seat.

Get over yourself.
The smile on that POS face because a justice is dying makes me sick, and it's clear that it's about nothing but political strike back.

Republicans are learning right now in this shutdown that the Democratic party is going to pay them back for every last game they play.

Get over yourself.

They're still pissed that Graham, Republicans and Trump stood them down over the Kavanaugh witch hunt.

Let's face it, conservatives judges aren't interested in freedom or upholding the constitution. The conservative judges voted in favor of Texas' anti-sodomy law where a gay man was arrested for sex in his own home. Three conservative judges voted to support that law, including Scalia.

Conservatives just want to turn America into a theocracy with school prayer, businesses denying LGBTQ business and making abortion illegal.

That's their big dream...illegal abortions. In other words, throwing people into prison who don't agree with them. Oh, and corporations are people.

The Lindsey Graham before his fellow Musketeer John McCain passed.....

SC’s Lindsey Graham among least popular senators, new poll says

The Lindsey Graham after fellow Musketeer John McCain passed.....

Why is Lindsey Graham acting like this?

He doesn't want Trump to primary him in 2020, so he's hopped aboard the Trump Train. As a reward, he's now GOP Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

For Graham, it's now all about his personal political survival and climbing the power tree. Tries to play the "good cop/bad cop" con game, but people now know better.

#failing

The Lindsey Graham before his fellow Musketeer John McCain passed.....

SC’s Lindsey Graham among least popular senators, new poll says

The Lindsey Graham after fellow Musketeer John McCain passed.....

Why is Lindsey Graham acting like this?

He doesn't want Trump to primary him in 2020, so he's hopped aboard the Trump Train. As a reward, he's now GOP Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

For Graham, it's now all about his personal political survival and climbing the power tree. Tries to play the "good cop/bad cop" con game, but people now know better.
Like I said, he's just a bootlicker that appears to have self-respect, whatsoever.

If I said the things about Trump that Graham has said (which I have), only to go and lick his boots publicly, I'd never show my face in public again after I was out of politics.

This is the infuriating thing about the Republican Party, they have lost the ability to govern out of fear of losing a potential primary.

I have to ask, how do these guys expect to be taken seriously if they are afraid of the very shadow of a primary. I say throw down the gauntlet and challenge the party elite to come up with a candidate.

Like I said, he's just a bootlicker that appears to have self-respect, whatsoever.

If I said the things about Trump that Graham has said (which I have), only to go and lick his boots publicly, I'd never show my face in public again after I was out of politics.

Well, Lindsey apparently craves upward mobility and more face-time on the Sunday morning shows.

Let's face it, conservatives judges aren't interested in freedom or upholding the constitution. The conservative judges voted in favor of Texas' anti-sodomy law where a gay man was arrested for sex in his own home. Three conservative judges voted to support that law, including Scalia.

Conservatives just want to turn America into a theocracy with school prayer, businesses denying LGBTQ business and making abortion illegal.

That's their big dream...illegal abortions. In other words, throwing people into prison who don't agree with them. Oh, and corporations are people.

Well, to paraphrase Obama, “If you want your sodomy, you can keep your sodomy”.

Bottom line: there are not enough democrat votes to be relevant.

Nobody thought all this squawking about originalism was because the average voter has a proper working knowledge of how legal decisionmaking is done, history, and precedent, right?

I mean...

Right?

All you have to do is look at Kyllo to understand that while these people have differing views as described in terms of which party rulings favor, they actually aren't sitting there going "Imma get me that librul!" They both do the same thing whether "activist" or "originalist": examine primary source material, examine secondary contemporary source material, examine what they have said about it since, and examine what a bunch of other legal professionals aid about it, and then try to come up with the result that best fits the substantive meaning of the original language. The only real dispute is in how to define "the substantive meaning".

But that gets boiled to "conservative" or "liberal" justice based on the way non-judges/non-attorneys describe the political result of each ruling. And then the politicians focus on those judges who line up with the way they've decided a judge's rulings should look. I'm telling you, there IS judicial bias in various directions but it really is not the kind of bias most ascribe to the judiciary. It just isn't.

It is time to place a Russian national on the court so we can have a Russian viewpoint on the court.

No, what we need is another moderate, originalist/textualist justice... not the first conservative in the "living constitution" movement.

Back
Top Bottom