• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GPS mark/locate app?

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My job takes me out into the middle of nowhere. I need an app which does not require a cell signal to operate (GoogleMaps operates on GPS and even worked in Afghanistan), that will allow me to mark these 10buk2 locations and offer me driving directions to and from them. GoogleMaps has no such function that I have been able to find.

Any help is appreciated :2wave:

Phones will require a cell signal as they use cell towers to triangulate your position; perhaps you should look into professional grade GPS equipment.

Phones will require a cell signal as they use cell towers to triangulate your position; perhaps you should look into professional grade GPS equipment.
Droids do not require a cell signal to use GPS. GPS applications use a GPS signal, not a cell signal, which is broadcast form satellites, not cell towers, thus making the GPS signal available on 99% of the Earth's surface. GoogleMaps worked fine for me while in Afghanistan.

As an update, I've learned how to mark, save and navigate back to GPS locations on VZ Navigator.

Droids do not require a cell signal to use GPS. GPS applications use a GPS signal, not a cell signal, which is broadcast form satellites, not cell towers, thus making the GPS signal available on 99% of the Earth's surface. GoogleMaps worked fine for me while in Afghanistan.

Don't count on GMaps anymore. Google removed the capacity to cache maps in certain countries. I don't know why. They also made it hard to cache maps in the first place. Sad considering it was so useful before and so easy

As an update, I've learned how to mark, save and navigate back to GPS locations on VZ Navigator.

You try any other apps? Some of us don't have Verizon (nor do we want it).

This is how it's done without GPS turned on. Dedicated GPS chips like Broadcom's don't require any cellular signal. So if your device has a dedicated GPS you can activate, you don't need cell towers. The down side is that GPS on phones is a huge battery hog if left running.

You try any other apps? Some of us don't have Verizon (nor do we want it).
I did try 3 or 4 this evening but got frustrated with them, they were not user friendly, or did not do everything I wanted them to. I even looked at GeoCashing apps. I called my father who also travels a lot and he recommended the VZ app already on my Droid which I didn't realize. I YouTube'd a how-to vid for VZ and that was it. I'll give it the 'oll field test tomorrow.

This is how it's done without GPS turned on. Dedicated GPS chips like Broadcom's don't require any cellular signal. So if your device has a dedicated GPS you can activate, you don't need cell towers. The down side is that GPS on phones is a huge battery hog if left running.
That it is, which is why I always leave it plugged into the car while it's running.

I also leave it plugged in while the wifi hotspot or tethering is active for the same reason.

One of the best marking software is ArcGIS; it is a pretty good GIS tool; however it doesn't provide driving directions, but it could be useful for marking GPS points and also for messing distance and area amongst other things.

One of the best marking software is ArcGIS; it is a pretty good GIS tool; however it doesn't provide driving directions, but it could be useful for marking GPS points and also for messing distance and area amongst other things.

The whole point is to have driving directions out to locations which do not have adresses. I need to be able to mark and save unlimited GPS locations and get driving directions to and from those GPS locations and our adressed offices and yards for months to come.

Just checking in...

VZ Navigator is absolutely perfect. It will mark unlimited GPS locations which do not have addresses. I love it, but seriously the voice needs to be improved.

Back
Top Bottom