• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Governor Ron DeSantis Signs Financial Literacy Bill to Support Florida’s Students

BirdinHand

Our body, OUR choice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1054, titled the Dorothy L. Hukill Financial Literacy Act, which will require high school students to take a financial literacy course to receive a standard high school diploma. The legislation will officially become a graduation requirement for students who enter high school in the 2023-2024 school year and will not affect students currently enrolled in high school.

“Financial literacy is an important life skill for a student to have,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Ensuring our students have the skills to manage their finances and perhaps one day own a business will pay dividends for our state. I am proud to sign this bill to support the future of Florida’s students and ultimately their families and communities.”

Two common sense pieces out of FL this week.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

High school is still for 14-18 year olds, right? I would think that parents should/would have addressed financial literacy long before high school.

Parenting is a lost art, imo.

High school is still for 14-18 year olds, right? I would think that parents should/would have addressed financial literacy long before high school.

Yeah, one would think. But then again, that’s assuming the parents have basic financial literacy…which is questionable

I think this fits in very well with other subjects like reading and math. Parents may not be as up to date on current financial topics or just aren’t equipped to explain it adequately to their kids.

I am actually good with this, one of the biggest faults of our public education system is not bothering to prepare students for real life. Money, credit, dealing with Banks, dealing with interest rates, debt, investment, what have you. Assuming the bill makes an impact with this fault I am good to support it.

I think this fits in very well with other subjects like reading and math. Parents may not be as up to date on current financial topics or just aren’t equipped to explain it adequately to their kids.
Students first exposure to both of those subjects should be well before entering school, imo.

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1054, titled the Dorothy L. Hukill Financial Literacy Act, which will require high school students to take a financial literacy course to receive a standard high school diploma. The legislation will officially become a graduation requirement for students who enter high school in the 2023-2024 school year and will not affect students currently enrolled in high school.

“Financial literacy is an important life skill for a student to have,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Ensuring our students have the skills to manage their finances and perhaps one day own a business will pay dividends for our state. I am proud to sign this bill to support the future of Florida’s students and ultimately their families and communities.”

Aren't students already required to take math? Is this another one of those feel-good but completely irrelevant and redundant Decrapis thangs?

Two common-sense pieces out of FL this week.

Awesome for Floridians! this is a very old idea that needs pushed everywhere and even before high school to a certain extent, my high school required economics BUT how they did it was to make it a split class with health/life economics/ shop/home ec . . . health and life economics were required for 2 years (4 semesters between 1 and 2 and you could pic if you wanted shop or home ec)

it was OK but id like to see a FULL life economics taught

I'm glad this nice bipartisan flordia senate bill passed especially with the state (in a general sense) and DeSantis being so vile batshit insane recently

what is the other piece you speak of this week?

Students first exposure to both of those subjects should be well before entering school, imo.
Of course, but they can certainly expand on that knowledge in school.

As long as they get that education somewhere.

Many parents don't have a clue how to handle money.

Teachers will now teach to the finacial literacy test just like they teach to the rest of the tests and I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm all for kids having to pass tests before they graduate or even advance to the next grade. My mom says at the end of every school year in Cuba all the kids took tests, if you passed you went to the next grade. If you failed you stayed back. I'm all for something like that.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Desantis is a FRW partisan hack, this doesn't change my opinion of him.

Many parents don't have a clue about lots of things, which is why we're seeing so much hostility at school board meetings as well as book bannings. Uncle Ron, though, he knows best.

Some of those parents at these board meetings are correct. Explicit sex scenes shouldn't be part of the literature in public school libraries.

Some of those parents at these board meetings are correct. Explicit sex scenes shouldn't be part of the literature in public school libraries.
True! Kids should find explicit sex scenes online like the rest of us. LOL.

True! Kids should find explicit sex scenes online like the rest of us. LOL.

:) As long as they're not being allowed to do it at school.

:) As long as they're not being allowed to do it at school.
Exactly what explicit sex scenes are we banning? I must have missed them when I went to school.

Which will be rescinded in a few years when those financially literate students now know better than to spend money on the Florida Lottery.

Where was this course when AOC was in skool?

Trouble is, parents are clueless too. Especially if they have some sort of gubment job.

Exactly what explicit sex scenes are we banning? I must have missed them when I went to school.

Use your imagination. Or go to the library and read some of the modern young adult books. Sarah Maas is a good place to start.

I feel the same way about Shakespeare.

Absolutely filthy.

No one should read it.

The sex scenes I'm talking about are nothing like Shakespeare's.

Back
Top Bottom