• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government's Shutting Down

Will the government is going to shut down? For how long?

• Yes, for a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, for a few months

• Yes, for 6 months

• Yes, for more than 6 months

• Total voters
Probably for a few days anyways. Once the bluff is called, negotiations will start in earnest.

The bigger (and more personal) question is how much does the Dow fall on Monday? Probably not as much as it would fall if they play games with the debt limit increase.

The bigger (and more personal) question is how much does the Dow fall on Monday?

The shutdown I don't think will have that big an impact. The debt show down will. Ultimately, I agree with the theory that Boehner should have the shutdown, have public opinion fall on the Republicans to teach them it's not working and then cooperate on a viable plan on the debt ceiling. Default is way more of a problem than shutdown.

I rely on healthcare more than most. The stunts being pulled right now are very expensive in more ways than one

The shutdown I don't think will have that big an impact. The debt show down will. Ultimately, I agree with the theory that Boehner should have the shutdown, have public opinion fall on the Republicans to teach them it's not working and then cooperate on a viable plan on the debt ceiling. Default is way more of a problem than shutdown.

I agree. The Cons need to have their fingers bitten by the barracuda now so that they learn the perils of seas and perhaps grow in wisdom. God forbid they rock our little boat in shark invested waters later in the month, subjecting us all to being chomped on by Jaws.

[video]http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff18&p=you%20tube%20jaws%20devours%20robert%20shaw&type=[/video]

Last edited:
I agree. The Cons need to have their fingers bitten by the barracuda now so they steer clear of shark invested waters lest we all get chomped on by Jaws later.

Wendy Davis next gov. of Texas

I agree. The Cons need to have their fingers bitten by the barracuda now so that they learn the perils of seas and perhaps grow in wisdom. God forbid they rock our little boat in shark invested waters later in the month, subjecting us all to being chomped on by Jaws.

[video]http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff18&p=you%20tube%20jaws%20devours%20robert%20shaw&type=[/video]

Do you even know WTF you're saying?

I wish the government shutdown was a real government shutdown. What's going to happen is that any payments that were supposed to be made will be backdated, it's not even saving any money.

I wish the government shutdown was a real government shutdown. What's going to happen is that any payments that were supposed to be made will be backdated, it's not even saving any money.

With the exception of civilians getting paid. If the govt shuts down, the military will get back pay but the civilians will not. Read that the other day, and I didn't think it was fair. Said that it would literally take an act of Congress to get them paid.

Do you even know WTF you're saying?

yes, a government shut down isn't that big deal in the scheme of things; screwing around with the debt ceiling is suicide. Do you even understand the issue?

Last edited:
yes, a government shut down isn't that big deal in the scheme of things; screwing around with the debt ceiling is suicide.

Suicide for whom?

The longest was 21 days I read somewhere but this time congress will be back after a couple of rounds of booze.

Yes? No? How long?

They pulled this stupid stunt when I was stationed in New Mexico. Government was rumored to shut down, said we would not be paid (nor any other personnel on the government pay roll) until Congress settled on a budget. The entire situation was blown way out of proportion, and then the budget was miraculously settled at the last minute. It was a stupid stunt. The government was never going to shut down, just like it isn't going to shut down now.

There is a simple solution. Reduce federal employees to 29 hours thus eliminating the costs of benefits. This would solve the budget issue. If it's good enough for the private sector, then it should be good enough for the public sector.

If the Senate refuses to pass the budget sent by the House, then it is the Democrats shutting down the government, not the Republicans.

I voted "yes, for a few days" but I'm reconsidering and think the government probably won't shut down at all unless congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling before mid November because thats when the Treasury Department would run out of cash and meet it's statutory limit on borrowing. In the meantime, it will cost millions for every day the debt ceiling isn't raised.

In 2011, just delaying the increase on the debt ceiling cost $1.3 billion....

"... As discussed above, short delays in increasing the debt limit have caused the Treasury Secretary to take extraordinary actions to avoid disrupting the payments of federal obligations. Though the federal government incurred additional costs during these periods, such as disruption of government borrowing and trust fund investment programs, the payment of benefits and other outlays occurred largely on schedule and trust funds were made whole once these crises ended.31 GAO estimated that the delays in increasing the debt limit in 2011 increased Treasury’s overall borrowing costs by about $1.3 billion.32 As long as the budget continues to be in deficit and policy makers wish to avoid a default on federal obligations, methods such as those described above cannot circumvent the need to eventually raise the debt limit....."

An actual government shut down could devastate the economy and have long term reprecussions....

...It is difficult to perceive all the adverse effects that a government default for even a short time would have on the economy and the public welfare. It is generally recognized that a default would preclude the government from honoring all of its obligations to pay for such things as employees’ salaries and wages; social security benefits, civil service retirement, and other benefits from trust funds; contractual services and supplies, and maturing securities.... At a minimum, however, the government could be subject to additional claims for interest on unredeemed matured debt and to claims for damages resulting from failure to make payments. But even beyond that, the full faith and credit of the U.S. government would be threatened. Domestic money markets, in which government securities play a major role, could be affected substantially.55..."

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41633.pdf

There is a simple solution. Reduce federal employees to 29 hours thus eliminating the costs of benefits. This would solve the budget issue. If it's good enough for the private sector, then it should be good enough for the public sector.

What do you think the sequester is? doh.

If the Senate refuses to pass the budget sent by the House, then it is the Democrats shutting down the government, not the Republicans.
Nope, it's those idiots in congress trying to sabotage the economy that will get the blame.

"....Imagine a situation in which a Democratic Speaker said to a Republican President, I’m not going to increase the debt ceiling unless you increase corporate taxes by 20 percent. And if you don’t do it, we’ll default on the debt and cause a worldwide financial crisis. Even though that Democratic Speaker didn’t have the votes to force through that particular piece of legislation, they would simply say, we will blow the whole thing up unless you do what I want. That can’t be a recipe for government...."

‘Constitutional conservatives’ ignore the Constitution on Obamacare

What do you think the sequester is? doh.

Nope, it's those idiots in congress trying to sabotage the economy that will get the blame.

"....Imagine a situation in which a Democratic Speaker said to a Republican President, I’m not going to increase the debt ceiling unless you increase corporate taxes by 20 percent. And if you don’t do it, we’ll default on the debt and cause a worldwide financial crisis. Even though that Democratic Speaker didn’t have the votes to force through that particular piece of legislation, they would simply say, we will blow the whole thing up unless you do what I want. That can’t be a recipe for government...."

‘Constitutional conservatives’ ignore the Constitution on Obamacare

Everybody keeps calling the guys in congress idiots, and that could be the furthest from the truth. They are in fact very desperate men looking for someway out and there isn't one. They are very screwed men to be honest. Because on one side they have the establishment telling them to go ahead and pass the bill and on the other they have the likes of me who donate quite a bit of money telling them if they do anything other than defund Obamanocare we will cut their nuts off and fund their democratic rival. That is if we don't hang them from a lamppost. Believe me the poor sorry bastards are very unhappy.

Back
Top Bottom