• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government Workers__What a waste of tax-dollars!

Has anyone ever noticed that the majority of local, state and federal government employees are slow, lazy, unqualified, wasteful, inefficient, apathetic, rude, arrogant, overpaid and appear to have absolutely no fear of losing their job; military excluded?

And when a work-place infraction does result in punishment, it's usually an unscheduled paid vacation_

And the worse the infraction by an employee, the longer their unscheduled paid vacation usually lasts_

And nowhere else are such poor job performances rewarded with generous raises, bonuses and promotions_

It seems whoever does the hiring makes a conscious effort to seek out the worst and keep them that way_

On top of that, taxpayers must pay these people's overly-abundant retirement entitlements until they die!

What's really unfortunate is, the majority of the jobs they perform are a total unnecessary waste of money_

So the only rational explanation is; unnecessary jobs do not require a quality work force to perform them!

Indicating that the Government is simply providing jobs to an otherwise unemployable group of Americans!

I would agree that there are some positions in the public sector that are completely unnecessary and wasteful. But certainly not all. We do actually need to have some government employees. I also agree that they should be fired if they are not performing, not simply given a paid vacation.

Has anyone ever noticed that the majority of local, state and federal government employees are slow, lazy, unqualified, wasteful, inefficient, apathetic, rude, arrogant, overpaid and appear to have absolutely no fear of losing their job; military excluded?

And when a work-place infraction does result in punishment, it's usually an unscheduled paid vacation_

And the worse the infraction by an employee, the longer their unscheduled paid vacation usually lasts_

And nowhere else are such poor job performances rewarded with generous raises, bonuses and promotions_

It seems whoever does the hiring makes a conscious effort to seek out the worst and keep them that way_

On top of that, taxpayers must pay these people's overly-abundant retirement entitlements until they die!

What's really unfortunate is, the majority of the jobs they perform are a total unnecessary waste of money_

So the only rational explanation is; unnecessary jobs do not require a quality work force to perform them!

Indicating that the Government is simply providing jobs to an otherwise unemployable group of Americans!

Insinuations with no data once again? Debating politics involves providing evidence for your argument, not making up **** and posing them as truisms.

I would like for you to take a job as a wildland firefighter. Yep, overpaid, underworked.:mrgreen:
If you think they are overpaid, you should look into what a private wildland crew costs compared to a govt. one.

I will agree there are some dead weight in the govt. sector. Can you show that the private sector has no lazy, overpaid, dead weight employees?
I wish I could show you that Mike, but alas I cannot_

Sorry to say; such poor quality workers do indeed exist outside the Public Sector as well_

They're numbers are overwhelmingly comprised of Union Members for the most part_

Although, despite being Private Sector Union Workers they do have very close ties to Government_

I suppose there's something to the old adage about sewage seeking its own level_:hitsfan:

My anecdote is about the private sector. American Airlines CEO Tom Horton drove his company into bankruptcy in 2005. He got a $20M severance pay check.

At least public workers don't get millions of dollars in bonuses when they screw up.
It sounds as if your Main Stream Media is only reporting the dirt on the evil greedy capitalist pigs_

Might I suggest that you diversify Joaquin! :wcm

That doesn't make much sense. You don't need the latest and greatest computers to do what they do which is mostly administration.

Yeah, administration doesn't take good computers. You just have to count on your fingers.

Jesus.

It sounds as if your Main Stream Media is only reporting the dirt on the evil greedy capitalist pigs_

Might I suggest that you diversify Joaquin! :wcefem

It's a conspiracy!

Rightwingers are always one breath away from claiming one. It has to do with the meritless nature of their purported arguments, like the OP.

Yeah, administration doesn't take good computers. You just have to count on your fingers.

Jesus.

Nice straw. So our only choices here are buy new computers for government workers which will magically solve problems....or count on fingers...Brilliant! Buying new computers doesn't change what programs they use on them which remains largely the same (essentially microsoft office).

Last edited:
Nice straw. So our only choices here are buy new computers for government works which will magically solve problems....or count on fingers...Brilliant! Buying new computers doesn't change what programs they use on them which remains largely the same (essentially microsoft office).

Nonsense

Changing hardware and OS's most certainly does change what software packages they can run

Though I'm not American, **** you. I work a hell of a lot harder at my local government job than I do at my private sector job.

Nonsense

Changing hardware and OS's most certainly does change what software packages they can run

That's not the point. The fact is microsoft office is mostly what they use. The only exceptions would be highly specialized jobs, and they get what they need. A brand new computer isn't going to help the average administrator...in fact a change in OS will likely decrease productivity while they have to figure it out i.e. the change to windows 8. You want to make things more productive? Hire better network managers.

Source: I'm a gov't worker and work with gov't workers almost exclusively

Anyone who has worked in government can tell you why *public sector unions are needed.
Seriously Graffias; what else would you expect a government worker to tell you?!

Not only do they protect worker's rights, but they *"public sector unions" keep a watchful eye on ineffective and wasteful policies adopted by upper management. Government isn't perfect, but I'd trust a government bureau over a greedy corporation any day. Libertarians (right-wing anarchists) would love to see huge corporations and the super rich be able to act with complete impunity, but sane people will never let that happen.
Oh Really?! :blink:

Well apparently the watchful eye of public sector unions is as blind as mr magoo on a moonless midnight_

Because obviously those "ineffective and wasteful policies" are still running rampant throughout government_

Anecdote is the mother's milk of the conservative mindset.

Economic data shows that the public sector productivity kept pace with private sector productivity until the late 80s early 90s, when it lagged. The theory is that the private sector gets all the new technology; the public sector doesn't since it remains starved of funds for updating old technologies. So the lazy public worker meme is is just another empty headed talking point.

The Master Memester has honed his trade.

It's a conspiracy!

Rightwingers are always one breath away from claiming one.
It has to do with the meritless nature of their purported arguments, like the OP.
And the left is always attempting to undermine the truth by silencing the messenger with accusations of "conspiracist"_

Sorry Joaquin, but you're simply going to have to deal with this reality on a more intellectual level this time around_

All I'm saying is, the United States has a behemoth government that wastes tax dollars faster than the IRS can rake it in_

A fat chunk is wasted on a million+ unnecessary workers whose jobs could be performed better and cheaper in the private sector_

Taxpayers have a right to expect quality, efficient, cost effective, respectful, accountable and necessary government employees_

We should also expect to get the best bang for our buck on every level and that government be accountable for every dollar_

And the left is always attempting to undermine the truth by silencing the messenger with accusations of "conspiracist"_

Sorry Joaquin, but you're simply going to have to deal with this reality on a more intellectual level this time around_

All I'm saying is, the United States has a behemoth government that wastes tax dollars faster than the IRS can rake it in_

A fat chunk is wasted on a million+ unnecessary workers whose jobs could be performed better and cheaper in the private sector_

Taxpayers have a right to expect quality, efficient, cost effective, respectful, accountable and necessary government employees_

We should also expect to get the best bang for our buck on every level and that government be accountable for every dollar_

I'm not sure intellectual can be expected from the poster...

It is the point

Wrong again.

The DOD, DOE, DOA, DOJ, DOC, HHS, DHS, ICE, HUD, Treasury, DOL, etc *all* use specially designed software

Do they require special new computers other than what they already have to operate? ...which was the point...

Do they require special new computers other than what they already have to operate? ...which was the point...

If they want to take advantage of new developments in software, yes they will/do require new upgraded computers

If they want to take advantage of new developments in software, yes they will/do require new upgraded computers

And the point remains, they don't need the latest and greatest....they need (in most cases) what is effective at the lowest cost.

And the point remains, they don't need the latest and greatest....they need (in most cases) what is effective at the lowest cost.

And the point remains, that they do need to continually upgrade because both hardware and software vendors refuse to support legacy code and equipment indefinitely

And the point remains, that they do need to continually upgrade because both hardware and software vendors refuse to support legacy code and equipment indefinitely

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, honestly. Is your position that computers have to be updated occasionally? Because the disagreement was about "head of joaquin" inferring an immediate need to update a whole bunch of computers or gov't workers will have to count with their fingers and productivity will plunge. Which spun into this weird debate about replacing a whole bunch of computers, which eventually turned into well, computers need to be updated...which is obvious. So, is your position that there is some huge number of un-updated computers weighing down the public sector that immediately effects productivity? Or is it that computers need to get updated occasionally?

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, honestly. Is your position that computers have to be updated occasionally? Because the disagreement was about "head of joaquin" inferring an immediate need to update a whole bunch of computers or gov't workers will have to count with their fingers and productivity will plunge. Which spun into this weird debate about replacing a whole bunch of computers, which eventually turned into well, computers need to be updated...which is obvious. So, is your position that there is some huge number of un-updated computers weighing down the public sector that immediately effects productivity? Or is it that computers need to get updated occasionally?

Computers need to be upgraded regularly, and it's well known that the govt is slow to do so, and that this results in lower efficiency and productivity.

HoJ said nothing about an immediate need to upgrade everything. IMO, he implied that govt should upgrade on a schedule more like the one corporations adhere to. IMO, he's right.

It's easy to be more cost effective when you cut corners on safety and ethics. Ever heard of kids for cash? Judges accepted cash, and in turn gave minors ridiculous sentences. The quality of hospitals, medical equipment, staff, ect. has nothing to do with the insurance industry. Yeah, let's not regulate insurance companies so they can deny people coverage for no good reason, and the squeeze out of following through on their promises when someone who should have coverage is a life saving procedure.
Please try to stay focused Ari; you are raising isolated issues that barely relate to the discussion_

Although I do agree that such travesties absolutely need to be dealt with and those responsible held accountable_

I read the U of C article concerning private prison cost effectiveness in its entirety and it stated:
"An evaluation of 24 different studies on cost-effectiveness revealed that, at best, results of the question are inconclusive and, at worst, there is no difference in cost-effectiveness."

I'm really trying to work with you here Ari; but the article gave the impression of being the work of someone desperately trying to make their mark in the hallowed halls of liberal academia with a paper ripe with substandard research_

And no offense Ari, but I didn't bother to read the ACLU article because it has been my experience that the only way to get a single truth out of the ACLU is to water-board the entire staff and cross-reference the information obtained from each_

And you never answered my question. What entitlements were you talking about?
Actually I did; so you must have missed it_

I was referring to public sector retirement and benefit entitlements_

You do realize federal employees have their own retirement plan, separate from but funded by the private sector_

Government workers are life-long public sector parasites until they're buried_

Computers need to be upgraded regularly, and it's well known that the govt is slow to do so, and that this results in lower efficiency and productivity.

HoJ said nothing about an immediate need to upgrade everything. IMO, he implied that govt should upgrade on a schedule more like the one corporations adhere to. IMO, he's right.
He said, " it boils down to getting rid of out of date computers. " I didn't take that to mean regular updates. I took that to mean get rid of out of date computers, and presumably buy new "better" ones. Which I thought was absurd. I haven't chatted with HoJ much on here so maybe that is what he meant, but if that's what he meant he should have said that. I said on here earlier, if you want to improve productivity, hire better network managers. That seems to be something along the lines of what your talking about.

He said, " it boils down to getting rid of out of date computers. " I didn't take that to mean regular updates. I took that to mean get rid of out of date computers, and presumably buy new "better" ones. Which I thought was absurd. I haven't chatted with HoJ much on here so maybe that is what he meant, but if that's what he meant he should have said that. I said on here earlier, if you want to improve productivity, hire better network managers. That seems to be something along the lines of what your talking about.

Well, I can't agree with HoJ's "it boils down to" part. Govt inefficiency is about much more than just outdated computers.

However, computers that haven't been upgraded but need to be are "outdated".

In other words, I'm probably falling somewhere between you and HoJ.

Well, I can't agree with HoJ's "it boils down to" part. Govt inefficiency is about much more than just outdated computers.

However, computers that haven't been upgraded but need to be are "outdated".

In other words, I'm probably falling somewhere between you and HoJ.

Cool.

Back
Top Bottom