• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered some 'helpful tips' that might help unpaid personnel get through the shutdown without going bankrupt trying to pay bills. They even suggest begging your landlord to wait for the rent.

Agency: Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/27/government-shutdown-feds-could-do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered federal workers affected by the partial government shutdown a guide for negotiating with creditors, landlords and mortgage companies while their income is cut off.

The Thursday tweet notes that workers should consult with a "personal attorney" for advice but offers templates for how one might seek financial assistance for various financial obligations.

Among the suggested strategies: A furloughed employee might offer to trade maintenance services such as painting or carpentry work in exchange for a reduction in rent.

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered some 'helpful tips' that might help unpaid personnel get through the shutdown without going bankrupt trying to pay bills. They even suggest begging your landlord to wait for the rent.

Agency: Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered federal workers affected by the partial government shutdown a guide for negotiating with creditors, landlords and mortgage companies while their income is cut off.

The Thursday tweet notes that workers should consult with a "personal attorney" for advice but offers templates for how one might seek financial assistance for various financial obligations.

Among the suggested strategies: A furloughed employee might offer to trade maintenance services such as painting or carpentry work in exchange for a reduction in rent.

Hmmm, I wonder if a mortgage banker would agree to those terms.
"Let me do some maintenance on the house I bought from you, and you forego the mortgage payments for a couple of months."

By the way, why is OPM open during this shutdown? Is Jared in charge of it?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/27/government-shutdown-feds-could-do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

My ex-father in law was a union carpenter. Between jobs he would dumpster dive. He retired at age 45 and built his own house.

Seems to me government employees should be aware of the possibility of a government shutdown and be prepared. After all, those shutdowns happen all the time.

My ex-father in law was a union carpenter. Between jobs he would dumpster dive. He retired at age 45 and built his own house.

Seems to me government employees should be aware of the possibility of a government shutdown and be prepared. After all, those shutdowns happen all the time.

BS. The last shutdown was in 2013. It is now 2018. The last one was caused by Congressional Republicans, this one by a Republican President. I think the obvious takeaway is we should be aware that the government is ill served by Republicans, and take that knowledge to the ballot box.

Kudos to your dumpster diving ex-father in law! That is definitely a model of behavior we should all consider. :roll:

Really? These shutdowns "happen all the time"? I don't know what your definition of 'all the time' is but some synonyms are:

constantly, the entire time, around/round the clock, day and night, night and day, ‘morning, noon, and night’, ‘day in, day out’, at all times, always, nonstop, without a break, ceaselessly, endlessly, unfailingly, incessantly, perpetually, permanently, interminably, continuously, continually, eternally, unremittingly, remorselessly, relentlessly, unrelentingly;

Here's some history regarding government shutdowns in the U.S.; Between 1996 and the year 2013 there were no shutdowns of the government. In 2013 there was a government shutdown that lasted 16 days. The current shutdown is actually only the 3rd government shutdown in 22 years. AND, this is the 3rd government shutdown since Trump took office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdowns_in_the_United_States

If anyone cares to read how a real leader of the country, a caring president, responds to a government shutdown during his tenure.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/POTUS-letter-20131001.pdf

So I've got to ask:

By the bolded, do you mean scrounge for materials and items of value? Or food?

This will get very ugly very fast I think.

Remember too that I said way back Nov 2016 that Trump had been sent on the instructions "Fix Washington if you can, burn it down if you cant, we are DONE!".

Dumpster diving isn't what it used to be, and in many places, it is now a crime.
Besides being illegal nowadays, you never know what you might encounter in a modern day dumpster dive. This isn't the 1980's anymore.

In any case, while some of you may be applauding dumpster diving as a Plan B in case of government shutdown, I'm not going to applaud cynical and sneering RW attempts to normalize such Republican hostage taking.

...anymore than I will permit the normalizing of lies that attempt to put this on the shoulders of Democrats.

This will get very ugly very fast I think.

Remember too that I said way back Nov 2016 that Trump had been sent on the instructions "Fix Washington if you can, burn it down if you cant, we are DONE!".

Always a grand conspiracy with you.

Always a grand conspiracy with you.

America is seething according to me, because our leaders have failed according to me, and the New Chinese Empire is coming to clean our clocks according to me....

Hmmm, I wonder if a mortgage banker would agree to those terms.
"Let me do some maintenance on the house I bought from you, and you forego the mortgage payments for a couple of months."

By the way, why is OPM open during this shutdown? Is Jared in charge of it?

Red:
Assuming OPM is open, it's so either because of this....
...or because whoever is there working is deemed essential and has to work regardless.

Last edited:

And dear Nancy is spending this time in Hawaii spending thousands living the high life.
She does not give a whit about the poor government employees dumpster diving.

the-fairmont-orchid-hawaii.jpg

America is seething according to me, because our leaders have failed according to me, and the New Chinese Empire is coming to clean our clocks according to me....
There’s something very wrong with you psychologically according to me..

surprised at OPM's suggestion
maybe things have changed or they were unique to my agency, but we had to notify our federal employer and request permission to work another job or to realize earnings from self employment
to fail to do so was a standards of conduct violation
but those furloughed/non-essential employees are not permitted to enter the workplace in order to file such a request for outside employment

additionally, it was incumbent on federal employees to timely pay their just financial obligations
failing to do so could subject the delinquent civil servant to be subject to disciplinary action which could include termination of employment

some employees are still obligated to work even tho they will not be paid for that work until their agency receives funding
classic catch 22 for federal workers

I would suggest repeatedly calling your congressman and Senators, tell them to get on board with a border wall to protect all US citizens... especially if you live in San Fran and New York.

Any stats on how many government workers live paycheck to paycheck?

Any stats on how many white collar workers are good with a paintbrush or hammer?

The US is the largest economy in the world. Must be an odd definition of failure you have.

9pzKArC.jpg

Any stats on how many government workers live paycheck to paycheck?

Any stats on how many white collar workers are good with a paintbrush or hammer?

I'm the polar opposite of white-collar, and I don't have any more business trying my hand at carpentry than I do trying my hand at brain-surgery. The idea that you can just go into a skilled-labor job to make up for lost work is absurd.

I am not going to pretend that I am concerned overmuch about a Federal government shutdown. The Bankruptcy Courts are still open for business and that means my clients can still seek relief.

That having been said, I find these suggestions ruefully laughable if they are aimed at anyone other than trained contractors. I think they might as well suggest "Hey, why don't you get a job at the North Dakota oilfields in the interim? The pay's really good!"

Back
Top Bottom