• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

I got into the workforce when I was 17. By my 20's, I was prepared.

Your the exception. Good for you.

So you were prepared the first month or year you entered the workforce. You would be able to meet all of your obligations rent/food/utilities/insurance if you were laid off for a month or more. Or did it take you a year or so to get a buffer set aside?

My point is todays young workers are faced with costs you or I did not have to deal with. imo, it is more expensive to live today than it was in the 60's and 70's.

Last edited:
Your the exception. Good for you.

So you were prepared the first month or year you entered the workforce. You would be able to meet all of your obligations rent/food/utilities/insurance if you were laid off for a month or more. Or did it take you a year or so to get a buffer set aside?

My point is todays young workers are faced with costs you or I did not have to deal with. imo, it is more expensive to live today than it was in the 60's and 70's.

I'm nothing special. All I've done is live modestly and saved a lot. I've never had to get a second job and I've never dumpster dived in my life. Oh...and I've only made payments on one car...cash for all the rest. My one vice...computers. I built my last one in 2012. I figured it would last me 5 years. It's still going strong.

Anyone can do the same thing I did.

Oh, I see you added to your post. The answer to your questions is yes, yes and no.

Regarding how expensive it is to live, that's relative. My first month's pay for my first full time job was around $200.

btw, if someone gets laid off the first month...or even the first year...they have a job, there's something wrong. They've picked the wrong field of work or they are a crappy employee. Either way, it's on them.

Last edited:
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered some 'helpful tips' that might help unpaid personnel get through the shutdown without going bankrupt trying to pay bills. They even suggest begging your landlord to wait for the rent.

Agency: Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/27/government-shutdown-feds-could-do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered federal workers affected by the partial government shutdown a guide for negotiating with creditors, landlords and mortgage companies while their income is cut off.

The Thursday tweet notes that workers should consult with a "personal attorney" for advice but offers templates for how one might seek financial assistance for various financial obligations.

Among the suggested strategies: A furloughed employee might offer to trade maintenance services such as painting or carpentry work in exchange for a reduction in rent.
I suggest they call, write, and picket Schumer and Pelosi until they reopen the gov

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I suggest they call, write, and picket Schumer and Pelosi until they reopen the gov

you are pointing to the wrong players to end this impasse. it was tRump who publicly acknowledged he would be responsible for shutting down the government
let me know if you need a youtube cite where tRump can be found saying he will be proud to shut down the government

This week the Democrats are going to put a proposal forward that will go to the Senate and pass, all it will take is his crazy-lunatic signature to end this shutdown. It's what he should have done when the last CR came before him to sign. He said he would, assured people he would, but then Ann Coulter complained about him on her podcast and he changed his mind overnight. He's such a dumbass and he owns this shutdown for history. Yes, the history written will assert the fact that he called it, he wanted it and said so on camera and even said he would be proud to shut down the government. Is he still proud of that today? I don't think so because, as usual, he's trying to pass the blame to someone else.

you are pointing to the wrong players to end this impasse. it was tRump who publicly acknowledged he would be responsible for shutting down the government
let me know if you need a youtube cite where tRump can be found saying he will be proud to shut down the government
Please do I find it endlessly amusing how you guys are clinging to that. It never gets old watching you all think you have something.

Trump shut the government down and now it's up to the dems to reopen it.

This week the Democrats are going to put a proposal forward that will go to the Senate and pass, all it will take is his crazy-lunatic signature to end this shutdown. It's what he should have done when the last CR came before him to sign. He said he would, assured people he would, but then Ann Coulter complained about his and he changed his mind overnight. He's such a dumbass and he owns this shutdown for history. Yes, the history written will assert the fact that he called it, he wanted it and said so on camera and even said he would be proud to shut down the government. Is he still proud of that today? I don't think so because, as usual, he's trying to pass the blame to someone else.
If they font include wall funding they are being bad liberals by wasting trees and ink on something that wont be signed.

Hopefully they are smart enough to realize this and actually pass something that is reasonable to both sides

Please do I find it endlessly amusing how you guys are clinging to that. It never gets old watching you all think you have something.

Trump shut the government down and now it's up to the dems to reopen it.

nope. tRump accepted responsibility for shutting it down let him fix the problem he created

but delighted he pissed off 800,000 civil servants who will not vote for him in 2020

If they font include wall funding they are being bad liberals by wasting trees and ink on something that wont be signed.

Hopefully they are smart enough to realize this and actually pass something that is reasonable to both sides

It appears they aren't going to do that. But if Trump agrees to sign a bill protecting DACA and one that gives a path towards citizenship for the DREAMers, then he might get some partial wall funding approved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/politics/government-shutdown-democrats-house.html

Dec. 31, 2018

WASHINGTON — House Democrats have agreed on a proposal to end the partial government shutdown that would extend current levels of funding for the Department of Homeland Security for several weeks but would not include money for President Trump’s border wall, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the proposal.

The plan, to be unveiled on Monday, will consist of six spending bills that include funding through the end of the fiscal year, plus a continuing resolution that extends Homeland Security funding through Feb. 8. The House is expected to vote on the package on Thursday, after the new Congress convenes with Democrats in control and Representative Nancy Pelosi of California sworn in as speaker.

While the measures are expected to pass the House, there is no guarantee the shutdown will soon end given the Senate is still firmly controlled by Republicans. Mr. Trump has stuck to his demand for wall funding, a position that would require Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, to break with Mr. Trump and bring the House plan for a vote. Mr. McConnell has already said he would not bring up a measure that does not have the president’s support.

“It’s simple,” said Don Stewart, a spokesman for Mr. McConnell. “The Senate is not going to send something to the president that he won’t sign.”

Ms. Pelosi, meanwhile, has asserted that Democrats will not cave on the issue of wall funding.

“He’s not going to get a wall,” she said in a recent interview. “But he has to recognize, we are the first branch, Article 1, the legislative branch, and we’re here not as a rubber stamp to the executive branch but are coequal to him.”

It appears they aren't going to do that. But if Trump agrees to sign a bill protecting DACA and one that gives a path towards citizenship for the DREAMers, then he might get some partial wall funding approved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/politics/government-shutdown-democrats-house.html

Dec. 31, 2018

WASHINGTON — House Democrats have agreed on a proposal to end the partial government shutdown that would extend current levels of funding for the Department of Homeland Security for several weeks but would not include money for President Trump’s border wall, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the proposal.

The plan, to be unveiled on Monday, will consist of six spending bills that include funding through the end of the fiscal year, plus a continuing resolution that extends Homeland Security funding through Feb. 8. The House is expected to vote on the package on Thursday, after the new Congress convenes with Democrats in control and Representative Nancy Pelosi of California sworn in as speaker.

While the measures are expected to pass the House, there is no guarantee the shutdown will soon end given the Senate is still firmly controlled by Republicans. Mr. Trump has stuck to his demand for wall funding, a position that would require Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, to break with Mr. Trump and bring the House plan for a vote. Mr. McConnell has already said he would not bring up a measure that does not have the president’s support.

“It’s simple,” said Don Stewart, a spokesman for Mr. McConnell. “The Senate is not going to send something to the president that he won’t sign.”

Ms. Pelosi, meanwhile, has asserted that Democrats will not cave on the issue of wall funding.

“He’s not going to get a wall,” she said in a recent interview. “But he has to recognize, we are the first branch, Article 1, the legislative branch, and we’re here not as a rubber stamp to the executive branch but are coequal to him.”
DACA was put on the table before but Trump wants the wall plus legislative reforms for that. Pathway to citizenship is a very big ask. I would be more agreeable to giving them a legal status but citicizrnship would require them going to the back of the line behind everyone who applied legally to get here.

I do see it as all be negotiable but both sides need to make some big concessions that they are not going to like. If not the stalemate will continue until a future election gives one side enough power to get their way.

I'm nothing special. All I've done is live modestly and saved a lot. I've never had to get a second job and I've never dumpster dived in my life. Oh...and I've only made payments on one car...cash for all the rest. My one vice...computers. I built my last one in 2012. I figured it would last me 5 years. It's still going strong.

Anyone can do the same thing I did.

Oh, I see you added to your post. The answer to your questions is yes, yes and no.

Regarding how expensive it is to live, that's relative. My first month's pay for my first full time job was around $200.

btw, if someone gets laid off the first month...or even the first year...they have a job, there's something wrong. They've picked the wrong field of work or they are a crappy employee. Either way, it's on them.

So new federal employees who just start out "is on them". Far from it.

You seem to be saying then than people should not go to work for the Federal Government. Guess you don't want the National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Forest and Range lands to have any workers. Or are you suggesting that all federal lands be sold and privatize?

So new federal employees who just start out "is on them". Far from it.

You seem to be saying then than people should not go to work for the Federal Government. Guess you don't want the National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Forest and Range lands to have any workers. Or are you suggesting that all federal lands be sold and privatize?

Wow...you sure pulled a lot of nonsense out of your ass. Have you been taking lessons? From the media talking potato heads, for instance?

You are dismissed for wasting my time with stupidity.

Wow...you sure pulled a lot of nonsense out of your ass. Have you been taking lessons? From the media talking potato heads, for instance?

You are dismissed for wasting my time with stupidity.

Whoa, must have hit the nail on the head to get you that upset.
I agree, no need to respond. The following is your words not mine.

"btw, if someone gets laid off the first month...or even the first year...they have a job, there's something wrong. They've picked the wrong field of work or they are a crappy employee. Either way, it's on them."

Happy New Year.

Back
Top Bottom