• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

And dear Nancy is spending this time in Hawaii spending thousands living the high life.
She does not give a whit about the poor government employees dumpster diving.

View attachment 67246875

Before regurgitating more right wing propaganda have you considered the fact that there are 434 other members of the House who aren’t on the floor today?

I hope people with homes and jobs are not also living paycheck to paycheck, surely they are smarter than that. Reminds me of the time my neighbor was whining about the price of milk for her kids, while opening a carton of smokes.

I hope people with homes and jobs are not also living paycheck to paycheck, surely they are smarter than that. Reminds me of the time my neighbor was whining about the price of milk for her kids, while opening a carton of smokes.

A couple of months ago, CareerBuilder released a report claiming as many as 78 percent of American full time workers are living from paycheck-to-paycheck — three percent more of us than last year. What's more, 71 percent of us are in debt — again, three percent more of us than last year.Nov 2, 2017
https://www.google.com/search?q=per.....69i57j33.11136j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

a percentage that boggles my mind. there are federal employees in that percentage. and i would suspect younger employees just beginning their career are the most vulnerable, not having an opportunity to set much aside

I have preached the doctrine of conservative personal fiscal finance to whoever would listen for about 50 years now, and most people won't listen. Even when they asked how we manage to live so well, they were clearly not ready to hear it. At least our own kids listened. They know that being fiscally stupid has consequences.

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered some 'helpful tips' that might help unpaid personnel get through the shutdown without going bankrupt trying to pay bills. They even suggest begging your landlord to wait for the rent.

Agency: Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/27/government-shutdown-feds-could-do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered federal workers affected by the partial government shutdown a guide for negotiating with creditors, landlords and mortgage companies while their income is cut off.

The Thursday tweet notes that workers should consult with a "personal attorney" for advice but offers templates for how one might seek financial assistance for various financial obligations.

Among the suggested strategies: A furloughed employee might offer to trade maintenance services such as painting or carpentry work in exchange for a reduction in rent.

Furloughed Federal Worker - Hey Donnie, how much will you pay me to let you kiss my ass?

I would suggest repeatedly calling your congressman and Senators, tell them to get on board with a border wall to protect all US citizens... especially if you live in San Fran and New York.

I think it's a better idea for you to get on the phone and tell them that there's 1.5 billion allocated last March for border security and why has on 5% of that money been spent before they ask for another 5 billion.

I think it's a better idea for you to get on the phone and tell them that there's 1.5 billion allocated last March for border security and why has on 5% of that money been spent before they ask for another 5 billion.
Neah...I am fine with shutting down the entire border until we get the whole $25 billion...

Or taking it out of the defense budget, whichever comes first.

All of the above.
Argh!

Well, thanks for the reply. Though I'm blown-away by it. I grew-up in a very modest neighborhood that had a fair amount of very poor immigrants. Some did what we called, "garbage picking". In fact, my grandfather who immigrated from Europe, partook in this. It was extremely awkward and more than a little embarrassing for me as a child and into my early teens, in terms of the sneers the garbage pickers got from my American friends. Actually, it really hurt me when I knew my American friends included my grandfather in that group, but of course they would never say it directly to me.

But it is what it is, it's what he and some of his fellow poor immigrants did, and it was accepted. Every Tuesday, early in the morning before the garbage truck made its rounds, he would be out combing the alleys making his rounds. He would even brag to us - his family - of the things he recovered. So I'm well aware of this practice.

However it's the food dumpster diving aspect, that has me a bit astounded. Unless your FIL had no food on the table, I can't imagine this practice. Yes, when desperate one must do what they need to do. But you seem to imply he was doing this to save money. That blows my mind. If indeed he had the intelligence and ability to be a carpenter, it seems to me he should have bettered his life to put himself and his family in a better state. Eating someone's disregarded old food, perhaps unhealthily, when one has the financial ability to own a house, strikes me as displaying some type of idiosyncrasy. It just don't seem right.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that. I don't want to beat on the guy, especially after you volunteered this information. But something strikes me as not right, here.

Argh!

Well, thanks for the reply. Though I'm blown-away by it. I grew-up in a very modest neighborhood that had a fair amount of very poor immigrants. Some did what we called, "garbage picking". In fact, my grandfather who immigrated from Europe, partook in this. It was extremely awkward and more than a little embarrassing for me as a child and into my early teens, in terms of the sneers the garbage pickers got from my American friends. Actually, it really hurt me when I knew my American friends included my grandfather in that group, but of course they would never say it directly to me.

But it is what it is, it's what he and some of his fellow poor immigrants did, and it was accepted. Every Tuesday, early in the morning before the garbage truck made its rounds, he would be out combing the alleys making his rounds. He would even brag to us - his family - of the things he recovered. So I'm well aware of this practice.

However it's the food dumpster diving aspect, that has me a bit astounded. Unless your FIL had no food on the table, I can't imagine this practice. Yes, when desperate one must do what they need to do. But you seem to imply he was doing this to save money. That blows my mind. If indeed he had the intelligence and ability to be a carpenter, it seems to me he should have bettered his life to put himself and his family in a better state. Eating someone's disregarded old food, perhaps unhealthily, when one has the financial ability to own a house, strikes me as displaying some type of idiosyncrasy. It just don't seem right.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that. I don't want to beat on the guy, especially after you volunteered this information. But something strikes me as not right, here.

He didn't do that stuff because he had to. As I said, he retired...quite comfortably, I might add...at 45. He was just a cheap skate.

And yes, my ex-wife didn't like it at all when she was growing up.

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered some 'helpful tips' that might help unpaid personnel get through the shutdown without going bankrupt trying to pay bills. They even suggest begging your landlord to wait for the rent.

Agency: Government workers could do painting or carpentry work to help pay rent during shutdown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/27/government-shutdown-feds-could-do-carpentry-pay-rent-agency-says/2428078002/

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has offered federal workers affected by the partial government shutdown a guide for negotiating with creditors, landlords and mortgage companies while their income is cut off.

The Thursday tweet notes that workers should consult with a "personal attorney" for advice but offers templates for how one might seek financial assistance for various financial obligations.

Among the suggested strategies: A furloughed employee might offer to trade maintenance services such as painting or carpentry work in exchange for a reduction in rent.

Face Palm.jpg

I have preached the doctrine of conservative personal fiscal finance to whoever would listen for about 50 years now, and most people won't listen. Even when they asked how we manage to live so well, they were clearly not ready to hear it. At least our own kids listened. They know that being fiscally stupid has consequences.

It’s easy to say “don’t be fiscally stupid” bust your generation had an objectively better set of economic circumstances when they got into the workforce. When was the last time you applied for a job in an industry you had no experience in yet?

It’s easy to say “don’t be fiscally stupid” bust your generation had an objectively better set of economic circumstances when they got into the workforce. When was the last time you applied for a job in an industry you had no experience in yet?
I retired at 58, or 14 years ago. My wife retired the following year. My training was accomplished by joining the Navy and going to their schools. I gave Uncle Sam a lot of years but in return he helped me accumulate a killer resume'.

Wife's training was a year of internship, aka student teaching, which was part of her college requirements.

Why should a company hire someone with NO experience when there are so many people out there who already have experience?

The best jobs go to those who are the most prepared. It's called competition.

I retired at 58, or 14 years ago. My wife retired the following year. My training was accomplished by joining the Navy and going to their schools. I gave Uncle Sam a lot of years but in return he helped me accumulate a killer resume'.

Wife's training was a year of internship, aka student teaching, which was part of her college requirements.

Why should a company hire someone with NO experience when there are so many people out there who already have experience?

The best jobs go to those who are the most prepared. It's called competition.

Proof of my point. People just out of school don’t have industry experience yet because that’s now linear time works.

Your generation had a vastly easier time getting a job that supports a middle class lifestyle, often on a single income. Kids coming out of school today just do not have that job market. And you know what? That’s your ****in generation’s fault.

Proof of my point. People just out of school don’t have industry experience yet because that’s now linear time works.

Your generation had a vastly easier time getting a job that supports a middle class lifestyle, often on a single income. Kids coming out of school today just do not have that job market. And you know what? That’s your ****in generation’s fault.
The job market isn't static, you have to train for multiple jobs to get ahead. My dad was a security guard til age 38 when it hit him that he couldn't support a family on that little paycheck. He got lucky and got into an apprenticeship job as a machinist. M y generation (born year 1 of boomers), got no help from my parents, none, zip....only 1 relative helped, our rich Uncle Sam. Sam paid for my technical education. Wife did get 2 years of Jr. college paid for by her parents. We put our kids thru college, now doing same for 8 grandkids. Lots of people like to say "nobody helped me so why should I help MY kids? They CAN, but won't....
I will take partial blame for the post boomer world, if you will do the same for your situation. Guess I can extend a little sympathy for you. It remains mostly your own fault, though.

The job market isn't static, you have to train for multiple jobs to get ahead. My dad was a security guard til age 38 when it hit him that he couldn't support a family on that little paycheck. He got lucky and got into an apprenticeship job as a machinist. M y generation (born year 1 of boomers), got no help from my parents, none, zip....only 1 relative helped, our rich Uncle Sam. Sam paid for my technical education. Wife did get 2 years of Jr. college paid for by her parents. We put our kids thru college, now doing same for 8 grandkids. Lots of people like to say "nobody helped me so why should I help MY kids? They CAN, but won't....
I will take partial blame for the post boomer world, if you will do the same for your situation. Guess I can extend a little sympathy for you. It remains mostly your own fault, though.

It is objectively harder for us to do it and that is objectively your generation’s fault.

remembering back to my early days, women were not very frequent in the workforce. they were either nurses, teachers, secretaries, or cashiers - if they worked. most families were sustained by one job. Mom stayed home to wash, iron, cook, clean house, and raise kids. that reality may seem quaint, but that was the mindset of the typical household. sending a child to college was a dream often fulfilled, especially if the child was a male. many parents believed that sending a daughter to college was a waste of money, in the belief that said daughter would only need to know how to wash, iron, cook, clean house, and raise kids
given that a one income household was the norm, a family where the wife got a job was one that had significant increased household discretionary income almost overnight. those wives were often looked down upon by the traditional families in the belief that the woman was neglecting her kids by working outside the home
however, it was quite difficult to ignore the fact that those two-income families were the ones living in nicer homes, going out to eat (a rarity at the time), and owning two cars
over time more women entered the workforce and began entering college in greater numbers; the womens' rights movement began, acknowledging there was nothing wrong with such a societal change
and that change has brought us to this era when a single income family is a rarity. what used to be possible on one income has devolved to requiring two salaries
those women coming into the workforce added a supply upon the demand for employees. anyone familiar with econ 101 knows the result

recalling my job as we were approaching 2000, one of my assignments was to compile material about the approaching hurdles for small business in the coming millennia. the data indicated that there were three major obstacles businesses would have to address to remain viable. 1. the internet would compel digital skills. those who resisted and remained with analog systems would not remain competitive. 2. the economy was becoming a global one. businesses should no longer assume that the US market was their's alone. 3. as the boomers aged out of the workforce there would be a serious shortfall of skilled employees to backfill those positions. given the smaller pool of available employees, that would place pressure on wages to increase
i believe all three predictions were accurate. however, #1 and especially #2 alleviated the predicted shortage of #3
technology has vastly multiplied the effectiveness of an employee over the last two decades. automation has begun and its impact will be felt more with each advancing year
to supply employees, companies have begun off-shoring work and importing employees. one of the ways employees have become available to the workforce is thru the limited enforcement of immigration laws. had those immigration laws been adequately enforced, low skill work would have to be performed by Americans. given the social safety net, the compensation for low skilled work would have to increase to entice that pool of low skill employees to perform those jobs. had that happened, it would have then created that high tide raising all boats ... or the value of skilled wages, in this instance
so, i would ask, why is my generation solely responsible for that irresponsible development? did other generations show up at the polls to prevent such manipulation of immigration laws and consequently, the downward pressure on wages

So, what can be done to fix this?

Social democrat revolution, basically. Young people doubling their voting turnout. The problems are so widespread and pervasive that it would take a hundred forum posts to discuss it properly.

This will get very ugly very fast I think.

Remember too that I said way back Nov 2016 that Trump had been sent on the instructions "Fix Washington if you can, burn it down if you cant, we are DONE!".
Sent by whom, the minority of voters that voted for him?

This will get very ugly very fast I think.

Remember too that I said way back Nov 2016 that Trump had been sent on the instructions "Fix Washington if you can, burn it down if you cant, we are DONE!".

I considered voting for him BECAUSE it might take the country down.

Imagine if I had.

I'd be more annoying than I am now.

"YES! YES! Tear it down! Lets start over!"

My ex-father in law was a union carpenter. Between jobs he would dumpster dive. He retired at age 45 and built his own house.

Seems to me government employees should be aware of the possibility of a government shutdown and be prepared. After all, those shutdowns happen all the time.

Are you prepared if you suddenly get laid off of work? The lower paid federal employees have the same struggles and issues as those in the private sector. Isn't it true that many Americans live pay check to pay check?

Are you prepared if you suddenly get laid off of work? The lower paid federal employees have the same struggles and issues as those in the private sector. Isn't it true that many Americans live pay check to pay check?

I'm retired. But yeah...I've been laid off...I've even quit a couple jobs because I found out they just weren't for me...I've always been prepared.

So, what can be done to fix this?

Your past is similar to mine. Retired at 53. My wife retired at 55. We were debt free about 12 years before retirement and still are. That said, I worked with many young people who were on wildland fire crews just getting started. Even those who were very cautions with what they spent lived pay check to pay check. Most first year fire fighters made just over minimum wage. It is difficult to save when your at that level of income.

Would you provide us your answer to Deuce's statement of "It is objectively harder for us to do it and that is objectively your generation’s fault." and your respond of" what can be done."

Congress and the President need to grow up. The lack of development and passage of balanced budgets has alluded Congress and the White House for years. The spending problem has existed long before the current Administration. It is past time for Congress and the President to come together and do what is right. Quit using federal employees as political pawns.

I'm retired. But yeah...I've been laid off...I've even quit a couple jobs because I found out they just weren't for me...I've always been prepared.

You are most likely the exception. Are you saying you were prepared when you were in your 20's and just getting into the work force?

You are most likely the exception. Are you saying you were prepared when you were in your 20's and just getting into the work force?

I got into the workforce when I was 17. By my 20's, I was prepared.

Back
Top Bottom