• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Government trying to silence critics and scientists. What does freedom mean to you?

Cassapolis

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
In September, Laura Berg, a Veteran’s Administration nurse in Albuquerque wrote to a local paper, The Alibi, expressing outrage at the administration’s incompetent and inhumane handling of Katrina and Iraq. “Is this America the beautiful?” she asked.

Evidently so, given that Berg’s letter prompted the VA to investigate her for sedition, a charge that would have sounded significantly less anachronistic back when “America the Beautiful” was written in 1893. Peter Simonson, Executive Director of the ACLU in New Mexico, was stunned: “Sedition? That’s like something out of the history books.”...............................

Another target: James E. Hansen, top climatologist at NASA, who was threatened with “dire consequences” following a lecture on the dangers of greenhouse gas emissions. NASA public affairs official George C. Deutschhas resigned in the wake of the scandal.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/02/21/democracys_regression.php

Re: Government trying to silence critics and scientists. What does freedom mean to yo

The Laura Berg story is all over the internet on small websites but no major news networks or sites covered the story. I wonder if it's actually true. If it were I would think it would be picked up by cnn, msnbc, fox or one any one of the major newspapers in the country. Till it is I have trouble believing it actually happened. Sounds too much like an urban myth.

i certainly hope it's not true

Cassapolis said:
In September, Laura Berg, a Veteran’s Administration nurse in Albuquerque wrote to a local paper, The Alibi, expressing outrage at the administration’s incompetent and inhumane handling of Katrina and Iraq. “Is this America the beautiful?” she asked.

Evidently so, given that Berg’s letter prompted the VA to investigate her for sedition, a charge that would have sounded significantly less anachronistic back when “America the Beautiful” was written in 1893. Peter Simonson, Executive Director of the ACLU in New Mexico, was stunned: “Sedition? That’s like something out of the history books.”

1) Mayor-Democrat, Senator-Democrat, Governor-Democrat. FEMA-a supplies management administration, NOT an army of rescue workers, NOT a legitimate scapegoat for utter DEMOCRAT incompetence.

2) Your source is a left wing publication. Got credibility?

3) Your own link explains that the man charged with Sedition (Berg):

"...call[ed] to act forcefully to remove a government administration..."

This is Sedition, any way you slice it.

Nice try.

Again, thanks for destroying your own credibility with that avatar so we don't have to waste time. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Government trying to silence critics and scientists. What does freedom mean to yo

Actually I just found Keith Oberman at MSNBC did do a piece on the story.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11345744/

"But tonight‘s winner, Mel Hooker, human resources chief of the Veterans Affairs Agency. A woman in New Mexico wrote a letter to the editor, as a private citizen and evidently on her own time, away from work, published in a weekly newspaper in Albuquerque. "

Apparently this Mel Hooker is either a moron or a guy who takes his job VERY seriously. Either way she wasn't charged with anything and in the end all is well that ends well. Kind of a non story really.

It's not like the government was secretly spying on her anything. Her letter was printed in the paper and she talked of overthrowing the government so she was checked out....

aquapub said:
1) Mayor-Democrat, Senator-Democrat, Governor-Democrat. FEMA-a supplies management administration, NOT an army of rescue workers, NOT a legitimate scapegoat for utter DEMOCRAT incompetence.

2) Your source is a left wing publication. Got credibility?

3) Your own link explains that the man charged with Sedition (Berg):

"...call[ed] to act forcefully to remove a government administration..."

This is Sedition, any way you slice it.

Nice try.

Again, thanks for destroying your own credibility with that avatar so we don't have to waste time. ;)

Why is it that everytime I post something without any particular political stance these stupid Cons start bashing me as being biased? I never once brought in any political affiliation into this post. I'm not saying I'm not biased but I guess it's just typical conservative activity to try to discredit someone who doesn't agree with you, is that it? So are you that narrow minded that since I believe Bush is a flaming fascist nothing I say has any credibility or credence? This is America pal i have every right to believe and post what i like and I shouldn't be tossed aside because of my political affiliation or beliefs. But then again that is how you all operate isn't it? It is our duty as Americans to question our government when we believe they are up to no good not to follow them with blind faith. Your actions are just further proof that democracy is indeed dying.

Cassapolis said:
But then again that is how you all operate isn't it?

Your complaint was valid until you added that line and thus committed the same faux pas you were complaining about. It works both ways....as you have shown in your own post.

I will agree it is sad.

Cassapolis said:
Why is it that everytime I post something without any particular political stance these stupid Cons start bashing me as being biased? I never once brought in any political affiliation into this post. I'm not saying I'm not biased but I guess it's just typical conservative activity to try to discredit someone who doesn't agree with you, is that it? So are you that narrow minded that since I believe Bush is a flaming fascist nothing I say has any credibility or credence? This is America pal i have every right to believe and post what i like and I shouldn't be tossed aside because of my political affiliation or beliefs. But then again that is how you all operate isn't it? It is our duty as Americans to question our government when we believe they are up to no good not to follow them with blind faith. Your actions are just further proof that democracy is indeed dying.

Its pathetic how neocons can never see past severely polarized, black-and-white stereotypes. If you don't agree with them, you're instantly a liberal hippie commie scum. Childish I think.

talloulou said:
Your complaint was valid until you added that line and thus committed the same faux pas you were complaining about. It works both ways....as you have shown in your own post.

I will agree it is sad.

No. If someone assumes another person is a liberal, it can be assumed that the accuser is a neocon.

Back
Top Bottom