• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government shutdown stops FDA food safety inspections

The point was that people have already deduced what’s going on by the time the FDA gets around to telling everyone not to eat the lettuce. The damage is already done and it’s only real use is to identify the source. Of course, nobody wants to dig through the packages at the grocery store to read the fine print about where their lettuce is processed so that’s not very useful either. People just stop buying lettuce.

...which is instrumental in avoiding further damage.

And the FDA is the people who deduced what was going on.

Apparently you have never worked in a food processing facility, nearly 100% of the time the migrant workers out perform and are by far more vigilant than any other workers.

I would never eat a can of pumpkin that was not cleaned by a migrant worker.

As I will not be able to know anymore I don't eat canned pumpkin...

This was never about facts, but about fear, and stoking it, and racism, be it conscious or subcious, prejudices (hwich are not necessarily "racist" per se, but experience based. And it was about 4 years with a black president, who beat a white guy AGAIN. This is their "revenge" I really believe in many cases despite their denials and lack of awareness of self, it's just that simple. How they FEEL. Pathetic.

...which is instrumental in avoiding further damage. And the FDA is the people who deduced what was going on.

I’m pretty sure the media deduces that people are dying after eating lettuce or chipotle burritos first most of the time. The only informational value the FDA adds to that is explaining what was wrong with it.

...which is instrumental in avoiding further damage.

And the FDA is the people who deduced what was going on.

Exactly, they probably saved hundreds of lives and thousands of hospital visits.

If it were not for government protections, a whole lot of people on here bitching about the government would have died from one thing or another as children...

I’m pretty sure the media deduces that people are dying after eating lettuce or chipotle burritos first most of the time. The only informational value the FDA adds to that is explaining what was wrong with it.

No, the media literally figures this out because the FDA tells them. Journalists aren’t tracking hospital admissions for E.Coli. Nobody writes news articles for that. There’s no trend you can identify by reading the local paper.

I honestly have no idea how you could possibly think the media is the first group to figure out something like that is even happening, much less identify the source.

So was cocaine, man I wish I lived back then...

I mean with cocaine-and-radium-flavored energy drinks you wouldn’t have lived all that long

No, the media literally figures this out because the FDA tells them. Journalists aren’t tracking hospital admissions for E.Coli. Nobody writes news articles for that. There’s no trend you can identify by reading the local paper.

I honestly have no idea how you could possibly think the media is the first group to figure out something like that is even happening, much less identify the source.

If you’re waiting for the FDA to tell you something isn’t safe then you’re already gone and you haven’t been paying to attention to even local news. These things are reported to local media by people affected all the time.

Exactly, they probably saved hundreds of lives and thousands of hospital visits.

If it were not for government protections, a whole lot of people on here bitching about the government would have died from one thing or another as children...

The American government has it's flaws and has "done evil" but on the whole, they done a lot more good than bad (at least domestically), but the point is, we should always strive to be better.

We need more of this:

Cuz THAT, is an America we could all begin to be proud of again.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...own-stops-fda-food-safety-inspections-n956716

"There are important things we are not doing," FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb says.

The ongoing federal government shutdown has stopped most food safety inspections, but the Food and Drug Administration is planning to resume at least some of them. To do it, the agency will have to force furloughed workers to come back without pay.

FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said he is trying to pinpoint the most essential inspections, while making sure that employees do not suffer too much.
=========================================
Recent outbreaks of crop-borne illnesses like Salmonella should make that area one of the 'essential inspections.'

Americans did not depend on government food inspections before the government was expanded to pay for such extravagance. Americans in general have become addicted to government extravagance they think they cannot live without even though the government has gotten to the point where it is spending way over its income to provide those extravagances.

Oh too bad you didn't eat the lettuce a few months ago just to prove your point...

No. But I did eat the chicken. You I’m prolly immune of that **** by now.

If you’re waiting for the FDA to tell you something isn’t safe then you’re already gone and you haven’t been paying to attention to even local news. These things are reported to local media by people affected all the time.

The media can't readily identify the actual source of the danger. The local news might say "several people have been hospitalized for ___" but that doesn't tell you "it was apples processed in facility X."

Americans did not depend on government food inspections before the government was expanded to pay for such extravagance. Americans in general have become addicted to government extravagance they think they cannot live without even though the government has gotten to the point where it is spending way over its income to provide those extravagances.

They didn't depend on the FDA, which is why deadly products were on store shelves.

The FDA is the biggest crock of bureaucrats nightmares unparalleled by any other.
They suck and need a smack it butt and reduce funding's down by 50%.

The FDA is the biggest crock of bureaucrats nightmares unparalleled by any other.
They suck and need a smack it butt and reduce funding's down by 50%.

This guy wants his radioactive water back, damnit!

The media can't readily identify the actual source of the danger. The local news might say "several people have been hospitalized for ___" but that doesn't tell you "it was apples processed in facility X."

They’ll say x people have been hospitalized after eating y/at y location. I don’t care enough to know where the poop lettuce originated. It’s not like I or most people are digging around the grocery store refrigerators ogling the packages for the processing location. I’m sure some restaraunts care for sourcing purposes, but I just stop buying lettuce and salads regardless of where it’s from. And really, the purpose of the FDA was to prevent these sorts of crises not just be reactionary as it is today.

Last edited:
They’ll say x people have been hospitalized after eating y/at y location.

That's the part they usually end up getting from the FDA. The media can't access detailed medical records.

They didn't depend on the FDA, which is why deadly products were on store shelves.

When people cannot afford luxuries they end up having to deal with possible risks and unpleasantries. Welcome to modern multi-trillion dollar unsustainable US government indebtedness.

So, these foodborne diseases were already popping up in our food before the shutdown?

And people were getting sick and dying by the thousands and stores were going out of business by the hundreds? I don't remember that. I do remember some people getting sick and dying but not that many and not before the FDA was added to our growing government monstrosity.

When people cannot afford luxuries they end up having to deal with possible risks and unpleasantries. Welcome to modern multi-trillion dollar unsustainable US government indebtedness.

Luxuries like "literally radioactive water sold as an energy drink"

And people were getting sick and dying by the thousands and stores were going out of business by the hundreds? I don't remember that. I do remember some people getting sick and dying but not that many and not before the FDA was added to our growing government monstrosity.

You don't remember that because you weren't alive before the FDA was formed.

Luxuries like "literally radioactive water sold as an energy drink"

We should not be so blind as to keep increasing the size of the government when we have long since passed the point of affordability.

Back
Top Bottom