• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government Shutdown Shuts Down E-Verify

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
From the Can't Make This Stuff Up department: Because of the federal shutdown, E-Verify services are not available. For those who are not familiar with it, that's the system used to check the citizenship/immigration status of potential employees.

https://www.businessinsider.com/everify-unavailable-during-government-shutdown-2019-1

While it is tempting to focus on the irony, there is also a tangible impact: E-Verify screening is mandatory for some employers in 20 states. So, until E-Verify is back up, those employers can't hire new employees.

That turns up the heat.

Add immigration court hearings to the list. 800,000 cases are postponed, many not to be heard for a year or more. That means that asylum seekers, green cards deportations are on hold.

From the Can't Make This Stuff Up department: Because of the federal shutdown, E-Verify services are not available. For those who are not familiar with it, that's the system used to check the citizenship/immigration status of potential employees.

https://www.businessinsider.com/everify-unavailable-during-government-shutdown-2019-1

While it is tempting to focus on the irony, there is also a tangible impact: E-Verify screening is mandatory for some employers in 20 states. So, until E-Verify is back up, those employers can't hire new employees.

Only in the feeble (warped?) minds of government could a providing a mandatory service be considered non-essential. I suppose that the federal E-Verify staff is enjoying their time off that they are assured to be later paid for taking. The state laws should have included a provision to mandate the use of E-Verify when available and to let employers continue to hire under whatever law employee ID laws existed prior to the E-Verify mandate when it is not available.

That turns up the heat.

as will the irs being unable to process returns ... or verify earnings to qualify buyers to purchase/close on homes or commercial real property
the failure of government to process food stamps/SNAP subsidies next month
and now commercial flights are being slowed by the sick-out of TSA staff who are expected to work without expectation of a pay check
this is the time of year when tuition checks become due
we will soon have a cacophony of instances where government is failing its citizens in surprising, painful, and expensive ways
hell of a way for tRump to commence a re-election campaign

One of the few things that seems to be a real impact...

Only in the feeble (warped?) minds of government could a providing a mandatory service be considered non-essential.
Does anyone's life depend on E-Verify? Yes, no? No. So, yeah, it's not essential.

I might add that legally, it doesn't even come close. The federal government isn't the one requiring the use of E-Verify. Individual states are passing laws requiring its use for many forms of employment. Thus, as far as the federal government is concerned, it's not essential.

I suppose that the federal E-Verify staff is enjoying their time off that they are assured to be later paid for taking.
I doubt it. Like most Americans, federal employees don't have huge savings accounts, and can't go without being paid indefinitely. It's also mostly, but not entirely, guaranteed they will receive back pay, as that requires an act of Congress.

More importantly, federal workers didn't ask to get furloughed. If you're mad about people getting paid for furloughs, I'd say you should blame the guy who had a temporary spending bill on his desk, refused to sign it because of a few talking heads on Fox News, brayed that he would proudly shut down the government, and is now saying he'd stall for "months or years." All because he wants to build a wall that won't work, which he promised he would force Mexico to fund.

The state laws should have included a provision to mandate the use of E-Verify when available and to let employers continue to hire under whatever law employee ID laws existed prior to the E-Verify mandate when it is not available.
I guess, but a) shutdowns aren't that common, b) that's at best a tiny bandage on a gaping wound, and c) that introduces a loophole for unscrupulous employers. I don't think we will see a lot of state laws changing.

Only in the feeble (warped?) minds of government could a providing a mandatory service be considered non-essential. I suppose that the federal E-Verify staff is enjoying their time off that they are assured to be later paid for taking. The state laws should have included a provision to mandate the use of E-Verify when available and to let employers continue to hire under whatever law employee ID laws existed prior to the E-Verify mandate when it is not available.

Well, it's too much to copy/paste safely (they limit amount quotable), so:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/116427-whats-essential-government-service/

See "what's essential"

Last edited:
The pain escalates by the day. I am confident that this shut-down will do so much damage that we will finally get our heads out of our asses and decide that we cant run this country like this anymore.

I bet Trump will tell us that most of them are dems, so it is no big deal

And they support the shutdown

Back
Top Bottom