• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government Shutdown: Don’t Believe the Hype

Condoning national anarchy will not win the republicon party many followers...
...but don't let me stop you.
Carry on.

Considering there are multiple facets of the government not just continuing to function, but that have been specifically supported by those you call anarchists, you again ignorantly and erroneously throw out a term that you clearly misunderstand.

Considering there are multiple facets of the government not just continuing to function, but that have been specifically supported by those you call anarchists, you again ignorantly and erroneously throw out a term that you clearly misunderstand.

Only 13% of the federal government is currently in furlough or paid leave status. Most large companies go through that level of shut down during flu season.

As Mark Twain may say: The reports of the death of the federal government are greatly exaggerated.

Life goes on without all 3.4 million federal workers.

Government wants you to play a role in the "shutdown" of the federal government. Your role is to panic.

Republicans and Democrats both assume that shutting some government is a terrible thing. The press concurs. "Shutdown threatens fragile economy," warns Politico. "Federal workers turn to prayer," laments The Washington Post.

If the public starts noticing that life goes on as usual without all 3.4 million federal workers, we might get dangerous ideas, like doing without so much government. Politicians don't want that.

They'd rather have us worry about how America will cope.

President Obama gave a speech where he actually said we need to keep government open for the sake of people like the person working for the Department of Agriculture "out there helping some farmers make sure that they're making some modest profit," and the Department of Housing and Urban Development "helping somebody buy a house for the first time."

Give me a break. Farmers don't need bureaucrats to teach them how to make a profit, and Americans can buy first homes without HUD helping a chosen few. Americans would make more profit and afford better homes if they didn't have to spend a third of national income on federal taxes.

Government Shutdown: Don

You know - my local Air Force Base has a commissary (just a grocery store) which is closed.
They employ over 50 people - and none of them will be getting a paycheck.

Over half of those 50 are baggers at the checkout - they work for TIPS ONLY. The money you give them for carrying out your groceries IS THEIR PAYCHECK.

Commissaries are closed nationwide.

That in itself is an economic disaster and undue financial hardship. They will NOT receive back-pay from the government when everything reopens. They are without and will not be reimbursed for their losses. They are not covered or guaranteed a paycheck in any way, shape or form by the Federal Government.

I feel bad for these people who were royally ****ed - how are they paying their bills? How are they paying for their food and covering their expenses?

So, no, don't tell me it's not as big of a deal as it really is - that's just one example of how foul our government has gone (equal blame all around).

Clearly there is a faction in the House of representatives that would like to do away with the federal government entirely.
I base that observation on what they say as well as what they do.
Currently they have leveraged the speaker into shutting down the US government and they are very happy with their accomplishment.
That happens to describe an anarchist to a tee ...or to a TEA...

National Parks--I could go on forever..
Being a teacher gave me the incredible gift of our National Parks so much more..And thankful..
Hopefully you will have an increase over last Christmas season..
My heart and mind are never far away from the parks.
Exactly. My county is losing a lot of money because the National Park by us is closed; plus all those furloughed workers aren't too keen on spending right now.

And that's not mentioning all the research that isn't getting down, and the many other impacts of the shutdown.

Clearly there is a faction in the House of representatives that would like to do away with the federal government entirely.
I base that observation on what they say as well as what they do.
Currently they have leveraged the speaker into shutting down the US government and they are very happy with their accomplishment.
That happens to describe an anarchist to a tee ...or to a TEA...

The shutdown only affects 17% of the federal government.

Only 13% of the federal government is currently in furlough or paid leave status. Most large companies go through that level of shut down during flu season.

As Mark Twain may say: The reports of the death of the federal government are greatly exaggerated.

The shutdown only affects 17% of the federal government.

I think you are in each gross error here. Obviously one of you is incorrect. Kindly produce a link to show us only 13% (or 17%) of the government is shut down. My educated guess is that most of the federal government operations have ceased, but that which is shut down only reflects 13-17% of government expenditure.

Nice projection there ... unfortunately it makes absolutely no sense at all.:lamo

It woundn't to someone that thinks money grows on trees:roll:

Because of a blizzard, 100% of Ranchers/Farmers in Western South Dakota have lost up to their whole herd, have no way of getting rid of the carcasses and are screaming at Sen. Thune (R). Not surprisingly, he wants 'that' part of govt. to reopen. Overall, House Repubs now want EIGHT 'THAT' parts of the govt. to reopen.

That sucks. I got 2 cars on credit and then lost my high paying job. Sucks to be them thanks to that blizzard. Maybe the cattle raisers can sell the cows to the farmers as mulch.

You know - my local Air Force Base has a commissary (just a grocery store) which is closed.
They employ over 50 people - and none of them will be getting a paycheck.

Over half of those 50 are baggers at the checkout - they work for TIPS ONLY. The money you give them for carrying out your groceries IS THEIR PAYCHECK.

Commissaries are closed nationwide.

That in itself is an economic disaster and undue financial hardship. They will NOT receive back-pay from the government when everything reopens. They are without and will not be reimbursed for their losses. They are not covered or guaranteed a paycheck in any way, shape or form by the Federal Government.

I feel bad for these people who were royally ****ed - how are they paying their bills? How are they paying for their food and covering their expenses?

So, no, don't tell me it's not as big of a deal as it really is - that's just one example of how foul our government has gone (equal blame all around).

Unfortunately for them that has more to do with our Prick of a President than anything else

I think you are in each gross error here. Obviously one of you is incorrect. Kindly produce a link to show us only 13% (or 17%) of the government is shut down. My educated guess is that most of the federal government operations have ceased, but that which is shut down only reflects 13-17% of government expenditure.
It depends on how you look at it. The Pentagon initially furloughed about 90% of their employees and has taken back many of those sent home to where they are at about 87% now.
The CDC sent home about 80% and has called back about half of them since the salmonella outbreak.
The 17% figure that they are bandying about is from Fox News. When Fox arrived at that figure they, for example, were figuring that the Pentagon and the CDC were still operating and counted them at 100%.
So yes, 83% of the federal government departments are operating at some limited capacity and 17% are entirely closed. A breakdown of those 83% that are operating at some capacity in aggregate would reveal that in fact the US government is at about 30% to 40% of normal capacity as far as efficacy goes .
Most of government spending is mandatory and can not be "shutdown" ( like the Affordable Care Act) only discretionary spending (like the parks department) can really be "shutdown".
Discretionary spending makes up about 20% of the total budget and of that about a third is still being spent... the total spending has contracted about 13%.
If the "shutdown" continues into the third week more discretionary spending will be cut off as payment comes due and is not renewed. Those numbers will change drastically.
Fox lies you decide.

Government wants you to play a role in the "shutdown" of the federal government. Your role is to panic.

Republicans and Democrats both assume that shutting some government is a terrible thing. The press concurs. "Shutdown threatens fragile economy," warns Politico. "Federal workers turn to prayer," laments The Washington Post.

If the public starts noticing that life goes on as usual without all 3.4 million federal workers, we might get dangerous ideas, like doing without so much government. Politicians don't want that.

President Obama gave a speech where he actually said we need to keep government open for the sake of people like the person working for the Department of Agriculture "out there helping some farmers make sure that they're making some modest profit," and the Department of Housing and Urban Development "helping somebody buy a house for the first time."

Give me a break. Farmers don't need bureaucrats to teach them how to make a profit, and Americans can buy first homes without HUD helping a chosen few. Americans would make more profit and afford better homes if they didn't have to spend a third of national income on federal taxes.

Yeah, unfortunately some of the farmers in Nebraska and South Dakota could use a bit of Govt. assistance right now. I read somewhere that some small farmers may lose their farms because of this catastrophe, and the fact that the Federal Govt program needed to help out is on furlough.

Govt. is bad except when you need the program put in place to help mitigate these tragedies.

At least 1,000 cattle dead from northwest Nebraska blizzard | netnebraska.org

" One estimate from a North Dakota newspaper put the number of dead cattle in neighboring South Dakota in the range of 60,000. The financial effects are still unknown. A federal program to reimburse producers is caught up in the legislative paralysis over the farm bill."

It depends on how you look at it. The Pentagon initially furloughed about 90% of their employees and has taken back many of those sent home to where they are at about 87% now.
The CDC sent home about 80% and has called back about half of them since the salmonella outbreak.
The 17% figure that they are bandying about is from Fox News. When Fox arrived at that figure they, for example, were figuring that the Pentagon and the CDC were still operating and counted them at 100%.
So yes, 83% of the federal government departments are operating at some limited capacity and 17% are entirely closed. A breakdown of those 83% that are operating at some capacity in aggregate would reveal that in fact the US government is at about 30% to 40% of normal capacity as far as efficacy goes .
Most of government spending is mandatory and can not be "shutdown" ( like the Affordable Care Act) only discretionary spending (like the parks department) can really be "shutdown".
Discretionary spending makes up about 20% of the total budget and of that about a third is still being spent... the total spending has contracted about 13%.
If the "shutdown" continues into the third week more discretionary spending will be cut off as payment comes due and is not renewed. Those numbers will change drastically.
Fox lies you decide.

Thanks, Buck - well said.

And as rjay said -
Govt. is bad except when you need the program put in place to help mitigate these tragedies.

I think the sheer number of special funding bills the repubs are trying to get through proves that yes - we need govt. up and running.

Instead of voting on so many special bills, why don't they just pass a clean CR to get the govt funded again? Wouldn't that be simpler?

I just had to sigh at all the 'poor' National Park tourists, which i am regularly one of..
They are mostly not poor and are ****ty tippers if they are rich..
As you pointed out, not only are your communities hurting, no media is picking up the story.
Thanks, Buck - well said.

And as rjay said -

I think the sheer number of special funding bills the repubs are trying to get through proves that yes - we need govt. up and running.

Instead of voting on so many special bills, why don't they just pass a clean CR to get the govt funded again? Wouldn't that be simpler?

Most farms are now huge and corporate run. The days of the family farm is pretty well dead. But when there were a lot of family farms, most farmers just wanted to government to let them alone, they had crops to get in, cultivated or harvested. They didn't did a ton of government regulations and bureaucrats to tell them what to do. After all farming had become generational and farmers knew more than those trying to stick their nose in their business.

Perhaps the president didn't get the memo, it is the agri-industry now, not farmers.

Back
Top Bottom