• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government shutdown as a dangerous precident.

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
From 3 years ago

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republican-men-planned-parenthood_us_55ef4bebe4b002d5c07717b5

From December last year

https://www.conservativereview.com/...-parenthood-shut-down-the-government-or-lose/

While the thought of this may make some pro-lifers all tingly...

I am curious if anyone understands the dangerous precedent this current shut down presents?

I can pretty much assure you that precedent is higher order thinking that few are interested in right now as so many are currently suffering from the Trump Fever. .

I can pretty much assure you that precedent is higher order thinking that few are interested in right now as so many are currently suffering from the Trump Fever. .

Higher order thinking?:lamo

Do you mean higher order like when my 3 year old had a temper tantrum because he couldn't watch another episode of Once Upon a Hampster?

From 3 years ago

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republican-men-planned-parenthood_us_55ef4bebe4b002d5c07717b5

From December last year

https://www.conservativereview.com/...-parenthood-shut-down-the-government-or-lose/

While the thought of this may make some pro-lifers all tingly...

I am curious if anyone understands the dangerous precedent this current shut down presents?

Having lived through all 18 or so previous government shutdowns, I'm ho hum over the whole thing. I find it purely asinine that the government is shutdown over 5 billion dollars. That's 5 billion out of the 4 trillion that the government will spend this year. That is 0.0125%. Just a bit over a one one hundredth of a single percentage point. What's all the fuss out side of 100% partisan politics?

Common sense says cut that five billion in half, each gives up 2.5 billion and let's be done with this.

You'd be wrong. Not unusual when you try to say what conservatives are thinking. You are spectacularly unqualified to comment on that.

You'd be wrong. Not unusual when you try to say what conservatives are thinking. You are spectacularly unqualified to comment on that.

"ALL ABOUT HAWKEYE...HE REALLY SUCKS!"

barf....

I am right an abnormally high percentage of the time, that is what education provides.
LOL, Or smug self-centeredness. I'm betting on that. :cool:

Leave it shutdown I say. In fact Trump after thirty days can fire furloughed employees without going through civil service. I say do it

Having lived through all 18 or so previous government shutdowns, I'm ho hum over the whole thing. I find it purely asinine that the government is shutdown over 5 billion dollars. That's 5 billion out of the 4 trillion that the government will spend this year. That is 0.0125%. Just a bit over a one one hundredth of a single percentage point. What's all the fuss out side of 100% partisan politics?

Common sense says cut that five billion in half, each gives up 2.5 billion and let's be done with this.

Would you have that same sentiment if the shutdown was over raising the Social Security full benefit retirement age to 80? Just split the difference and raise the SS FB retirement age to 72.

Would you have that same sentiment if the shutdown was over raising the top federal income tax bracket rate to 90%? Just split the difference and raise the rate to 64%.

Would you have that same sentiment if the shutdown was over raising the Social Security full benefit retirement age to 80? Just split the difference and raise the SS FB retirement age to 72.

Would you have that same sentiment if the shutdown was over raising the top federal income tax bracket rate to 90%? Just split the difference and raise the rate to 64%.

What if's don't apply. As for the raising the top rate, what exactly does the tax rate mean anyway? It's not the tax rate the rich pay, they can afford tax lawyers, accountants, CPO's, and slice that rate in half or more. Actually, with people living longer and longer, upping the age to 70 would be a good idea. Instead of 62-66, make it 65-70. The average life expectancy was 60 years when SS was first started and the 62-65 age selected. Today it at least 78.

No problem. As far as the 5 billion, just split the difference. If Reagan and Tip O'Neal can compromise on SDI, what the heck is wrong with Trump, Pelosi and Schumer? Has hard headed four year olds replaced competent adults?

What if's don't apply. As for the raising the top rate, what exactly does the tax rate mean anyway? It's not the tax rate the rich pay, they can afford tax lawyers, accountants, CPO's, and slice that rate in half or more. Actually, with people living longer and longer, upping the age to 70 would be a good idea. Instead of 62-66, make it 65-70. The average life expectancy was 60 years when SS was first started and the 62-65 age selected. Today it at least 78.

No problem. As far as the 5 billion, just split the difference. If Reagan and Tip O'Neal can compromise on SDI, what the heck is wrong with Trump, Pelosi and Schumer? Has hard headed four year olds replaced competent adults?

I disagree - if this no budget bill at all technique works to demand even half of any stated policy "goal" then just start high and then 'settle for the big half'.

I disagree - if this no budget bill at all technique works to demand even half of any stated policy "goal" then just start high and then 'settle for the big half'.

That's fine. I don't give a hoot about the wall one way or the other. If 5 billion is the stumbling block, then spit it and let's move on.

somewhere along the line, a compromise must be worked out. This all or nothing is a child's game. Trump, Pelosi and Schumer acting like four year old kids, your fault, not your fault. Mine, yours, mine, yours, yes, no, yes, no. He did it, no she did it, no he did it, no she did it. Idiotic to say the least. Time we get some grownups in Washington.

Back
Top Bottom