• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government ruins everything: veggie garden prohibition

What really gets to me is to see people with huge yards of just GRASS. I get it that not everyone has a green thumb, but why in the hell would you buy an acre of front or back yard only to never utilize it for anything except your riding lawn mower once a week?

Some people like doing that. Dont know why but they do. I only cut the grass when I dont have a field rented to the locals for grazing their cattle. I make silage out of it for my one beef cow.

I see nothing that says he is a leftist. How do you know he is not a republican.

The villages. A huge retirement community in central florida that is a republican stronghold. The place where the guy yelled white power to someone holding a sign. Guess what, none of that stuff is allowed on people's front lawns including religious statues. I can't tell you how many flags I see flying there after dark unlighted.

Do as I say crowd who have restrictions out the ying yang.

Although I think it is absurd to ban gardens on your own property he should have checked to see if there were any CCR's that prohibited a front yard garden.

TBH, it would never occur to me that a town might forbid something like that. I know some housing developments have rules, but a whole town? Never heard of such a thing.
Sounds like an HOA, but with an HOA you're warned in advance.

The villages. A huge retirement community in central florida that is a republican stronghold. The place where the guy yelled white power to someone holding a sign. Guess what, none of that stuff is allowed on people's front lawns including religious statues. I can't tell you how many flags I see flying there after dark unlighted.

Do as I say crowd who have restrictions out the ying yang.

Speaking of enclaves i came across this very good example of the difference between the rich and poor.
Billionaire bunkers: NZ amongst places where elite may ride out Coronavirus | Stuff.co.nz
Billionaire venture capitalist Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal and an early Facebook investor, has a 477-acre former sheep station in New Zealand. He's credited for turning the island nation into the tech world's destination for doomsday preppers. An entire Vice documentary, Hunt for the Bunker People, centered on the New Zealand bolthole phenomenon.

"Saying you're 'buying a house in New Zealand' is kind of a wink, wink, say no more," allusion to an apocalypse hide-away there, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman told The New Yorker in 2017

Where will you be when the pandemic gets really bad?

No front yard veggies in Falcon Heights this year, city leaders tell resident - StarTribune.com

Welcome to the leftist regulatory state, where it's illegal to grow food on your own property without government permission.

"Government ruins everything: . . . "

I'm always disturbed when Americans regurgitate this nonsense. It works, of course, when you live under a monarchy, a dictatorship, a theocracy, or under a military junta - but it's embarrassing when it's spoken about a democracy where the government your griping about is "of the people, by the people, and for the people" - because the only ones responsible for the government ruining everything are the people. Complaining about the government in this country amounts to nothing more than complaining about ourselves - and how much sense does that make?

It's like screaming "STOP ME BEFORE I VOTE AGAIN!"

I'm always disturbed when Americans regurgitate this nonsense. It works, of course, when you live under a monarchy, a dictatorship, a theocracy, or under a military junta - but it's embarrassing when it's spoken about a democracy

Why? In a democracy you just vote for the dictators. The US is arguably the freest country in the world, yet the government here apparently has the legitimate power to force you to stay in your home and prevent you from working.

where the government your griping about is "of the people, by the people, and for the people" - because the only ones responsible for the government ruining everything are the people.

No, democracy pits different groups of people against each other. That's one reason why it's so awful.

democracy sucks.jpg

No, thats the culmination of liberalism at work. It isn't left or right, both sides have believed liberalism's lie, thats the truth.

That bylaw is a leftover from the '50s. Read before you speak.

"Falcon Heights Mayor Randy Gustafson said Wednesday that the city has always banned front yard vegetable gardens. City code written in the 1950s explicitly requires turf grass, trees and shrubs in the front yard, the mayor said."

And liberalism gave you all the rights and freedoms you cherish. You're welcome.

I consider most of the HOA's around here to be rather oppressive. I don't mind reasonable HOA codes, but a young homeowner who grew up in the home next to mine moved to a more suburban neighborhood with very strict rules. They ticketed him for parking his bass boat in the driveway...he moved it to the side yard....ticketed....then behind the house....ticketed. I LMAO. He asked me if he could park it at my house for a while, until he found some storage. I said fine. Long as it's out back and not on the front lawn nobody cares.

When my boys were young I also put up a basketball goal for them. Nobody ever said a word, but some HOA's prohibit such things. I would rather my boys and the other neighborhood boys hang around my house playing basketball than possibly getting into trouble elsewhere.

If all HOA's used common sense I would probably be in favor of them. All too often it depends on who is on the HOA board. Some are real NAZI's.

You ignore the fact that everyone who bought into the development agreed to the HOA provisions prior to buying or they had a democratic say in what was included in those CCRs. In any case, there is nothing that prevents a homeowner from getting together with like-minded neighbors and making changes to the board.

One thing that has come to light in recent court cases is that an HOA rule is only a rule if it is consistently enforced. Selective enforcement will result in the rule being tossed in the courts.

Tell your friend with the boat problem to read the ****ing rules next time.

You ignore the fact that everyone who bought into the development agreed to the HOA provisions prior to buying or they had a democratic say in what was included in those CCRs. In any case, there is nothing that prevents a homeowner from getting together with like-minded neighbors and making changes to the board.

One thing that has come to light in recent court cases is that an HOA rule is only a rule if it is consistently enforced. Selective enforcement will result in the rule being tossed in the courts.

Tell your friend with the boat problem to read the ****ing rules next time.

no one can read all the rules or know how they will be interpreted. It would take a truck load of lawyers for that, and even then you'd get a truck load of different opinions. Most HOA's seem to make it up as they go along. But you're correct to say never buy into an HOA development unless you are willing to give up your property rights.

So can you plant an apple tree in your front yard in Falcon Heights? Almost certainly yes. How about two? That's probably okay too.

How about 20? At what point does the city step in and start bossing you around?

no one can read all the rules or know how they will be interpreted. It would take a truck load of lawyers for that, and even then you'd get a truck load of different opinions. Most HOA's seem to make it up as they go along. But you're correct to say never buy into an HOA development unless you are willing to give up your property rights.

If you're incapable of reading the rules, get someone who can and have them read them to you. Same thing with all the other paperwork one agrees to when signing any mortgage. That paperwork is there for a reason. It is designed to protect all parties. Most HOA rules are intended to maintain a certain quality of life for all residents and protect property values. Anyone who has seen a neighborhood turn into mostly rental properties knows this. If those goals are unacceptable, don't buy in that community.

If you're incapable of reading the rules, get someone who can and have them read them to you. Same thing with all the other paperwork one agrees to when signing any mortgage. That paperwork is there for a reason. It is designed to protect all parties. Most HOA rules are intended to maintain a certain quality of life for all residents and protect property values. Anyone who has seen a neighborhood turn into mostly rental properties knows this. If those goals are unacceptable, don't buy in that community.

I agree with you that staying away from HOA's is a good idea. But even if an expert reads the rules he/she has no way of knowing how those rules will be interpreted. Then it often ends up in court. Often the homeowner wins and the HOA loses. But I will also agree that some HOA's are good organizations who treat people fairly. However, you can never be sure which kind you're getting.

I agree with you that staying away from HOA's is a good idea.
Not sure where you got that from ... but whatever.

But even if an expert reads the rules he/she has no way of knowing how those rules will be interpreted. Then it often ends up in court. Often the homeowner wins and the HOA loses. But I will also agree that some HOA's are good organizations who treat people fairly. However, you can never be sure which kind you're getting.

Believe it or not, most HOAs do not typically have problems that end up in court. Furthermore, most homeowner problems arise when someone wants to be the exception to the rule that is clearly and unambiguously spelled out in the CCRs. That person who does not think community rules and standards ought to apply to them should avoid HOAs. On the other hand, people who appreciate rules that say junker cars are prohibited or that you ought to mow your lawn regularly quite often benefit from HOAs.

Not sure where you got that from ... but whatever.

Believe it or not, most HOAs do not typically have problems that end up in court. Furthermore, most homeowner problems arise when someone wants to be the exception to the rule that is clearly and unambiguously spelled out in the CCRs. That person who does not think community rules and standards ought to apply to them should avoid HOAs. On the other hand, people who appreciate rules that say junker cars are prohibited or that you ought to mow your lawn regularly quite often benefit from HOAs.

I dunno; I've seen LOTS of utube videos about HOA's and court cases. Local news seems to love covering them.

junk cars and lawn mowing? Don't municipal codes pretty much cover that kind of stuff already?

I dunno; I've seen LOTS of utube videos about HOA's and court cases. Local news seems to love covering them.

And most people don't get murdered. Nevertheless, the local news outlets cover them.

junk cars and lawn mowing? Don't municipal codes pretty much cover that kind of stuff already?

Not necessarily. Drive around neighborhoods without HOAs. Do you see things that bring down property values? Do you see slum anywhere? HOAs try to prevent these things. And remember, it is the homeowners who create these HOAs and enforce the CCRs. Again, if trashing your neighborhood is your desire, seek out neighborhoods that encourage that sort of behavior. If you want your neighbors to bring down your property values, there are uncountable places you can live. But why bitch about homeowners who don't want that?

Yes this the world that leftists want all to suffer in. They use the totalitarian power of the govt to force us into their world and then tell how it's good for us. The left is the enemy of liberty.

Front lawn gardeners unite! Today a garden! Tomorrow a blacksmith shop!

Look, as a victim of annoying homeowner's association grumbles (soon to be depicted in the TV series, "Law and Order, HOA), I can sympathize. But we all have to deal with zoning, permits, etc. And maybe the guy doesn't have a back yard to plant.

My city allows you to grow for your own consumption but you have to get a permit to grow for sale and have health department inspections. There is no specific prohibition on growing in the front yard but you would have to maintain it well not to run afoul of the weed police. Some people don't like it, but a lot of the foreign born business owners have turned the areas around their businesses into grow plots, especially the convenience stores.

And most people don't get murdered. Nevertheless, the local news outlets cover them.

Not necessarily. Drive around neighborhoods without HOAs. Do you see things that bring down property values? Do you see slum anywhere? HOAs try to prevent these things. And remember, it is the homeowners who create these HOAs and enforce the CCRs. Again, if trashing your neighborhood is your desire, seek out neighborhoods that encourage that sort of behavior. If you want your neighbors to bring down your property values, there are uncountable places you can live. But why bitch about homeowners who don't want that?

Some people like totalitarian rule. Hitler was popular in some circles. :) ....Really, if some people want HOA's, good for them. But don't pretend they can't be oppressive. Too much evidence to the contrary.

"Falcon Heights Mayor Randy Gustafson said Wednesday that the city has always banned front yard vegetable gardens. City code written in the 1950s explicitly requires turf grass, trees and shrubs in the front yard, the mayor said.

“I don’t know why they put that into city code in the 1950s,” Gustafson said"

Leftists, huh? Lottsa leftists in 1950's Minnesota, you figure?

Yeah, the beatniks ruined everything.

It's a bit ridiculous, IMO. If someone wanted a garden in their front lawn, it's their property and should be allowed to. But you have to agree to these contracts before buying the property, so there's that. But some of those rules end up getting a bit ridiculous and overbearing.

Yes this the world that leftists want all to suffer in. They use the totalitarian power of the govt to force us into their world and then tell how it's good for us. The left is the enemy of liberty.

On the bright side, they probably don't allow a woman's boss to come between her and her doctor.

It's a bit ridiculous, IMO. If someone wanted a garden in their front lawn, it's their property and should be allowed to. But you have to agree to these contracts before buying the property, so there's that. But some of those rules end up getting a bit ridiculous and overbearing.

First a garden, then pot plants, then a junkyard in the front yard. While operating a brothel in the house. Allowing a few cucumbers would destroy the neighborhood

Back
Top Bottom