• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government pays millions in benefits to dead farmers

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In the video they mention there are over 3400 dead farmers getting money. Some of this money goes direct deposit and some to insurance companies. We talking about $35M/yr....WTF?

This happens with Social Security too ALOT. There is so much fraud and abuse that doesn't get caught due to lousy oversight.

Well we need to raise taxes because we can't cut these payments to the dead.

You would think with the "fear" of budget cuts, job loss, etc in the government they would want to focus on mispayments to save something.

You would think with the "fear" of budget cuts, job loss, etc in the government they would want to focus on mispayments to save something.

You mean like furloughs?

This happens with Social Security too ALOT. There is so much fraud and abuse that doesn't get caught due to lousy oversight.

Apparently the Dept of Ag should be checking with the SSA or something. This is what happen when government gets too big and complex.

You mean like furloughs?

Furloughs are a joke and are clearly politically motivated. If the government could save millions with oversight into their programs.

The one fact that remains that cannot be disputed is the government has gotten too large. If you can't have effective oversight, it's too large.

Apparently the Dept of Ag should be checking with the SSA or something. This is what happen when government gets too big and complex.

Don't disagree there about government being too large. There is no more effective oversight. Without that, you have a train wreck.

Government pays millions in benefits to dead farmers | Fox News Video

In the video they mention there are over 3400 dead farmers getting money. Some of this money goes direct deposit and some to insurance companies. We talking about $35M/yr....WTF?

This is an example of what happens when government becomes so large and so invasive into every aspect of life that such problems are considered as nothing more than rounding errors by those responsible. A reasonable person would ask how a "subsidy" is paid by direct deposit year over year without review and without the recipient having to reapply either yearly or every couple of years. There's lots of fraud where people submit inaccurate information, but this appears to just be systemic negligence.

Some liberal is sure to say that you definitely need more civil servants to be able to keep track of these things. There's never a problem that a liberal can't solve by hiring a few thousand more public employees, preferably unionized.

Failure to cross check isn't just a federal government failing, it carries down to local government too... a loss of logic and reasoning, replaced by 'ooh, ooh, let's do it! it looks good on paper!' costs taxpayers billions at all levels.

I am not sure what is worse, that they receive benefits, or that they still vote:mrgreen:

So, we'll be arresting the recipients of that money....

Right?

Oh, and dare I say, firing the issuers?

Oh me, but I do enjoy a good joke now and then...

Failure to cross check isn't just a federal government failing, it carries down to local government too... a loss of logic and reasoning, replaced by 'ooh, ooh, let's do it! it looks good on paper!' costs taxpayers billions at all levels.

Complacency and the attitude that it isn't their money, so who cares.

This is an example of what happens when government becomes so large and so invasive into every aspect of life that such problems are considered as nothing more than rounding errors by those responsible. A reasonable person would ask how a "subsidy" is paid by direct deposit year over year without review and without the recipient having to reapply either yearly or every couple of years. There's lots of fraud where people submit inaccurate information, but this appears to just be systemic negligence.

Some liberal is sure to say that you definitely need more civil servants to be able to keep track of these things. There's never a problem that a liberal can't solve by hiring a few thousand more public employees, preferably unionized.

Well you either cut the programs or staff it properly or write the law better so safeguards are in place. The trouble with most govt benefit programs is they never expire. A half a century could go by, and no one question anything, they just continue on.....

Approved_Stamp_zps867b5a7f.jpg

$35 million is rounding error. Think about how much money they give to living farmers.

Yea, not to farm.

It is unbelievable. I live on what was once a farm. We used to keep horses here. One day I got a check for $800 from the DOA. I couldn't figure out why I got it. I called. They told me the farmer who had planted my small hay field had claimed the funds for me for converting a corn field into a permanent vegetative cover to prevent soil erosion. I just shook my head and deposited the check.

It is unbelievable. I live on what was once a farm. We used to keep horses here. One day I got a check for $800 from the DOA. I couldn't figure out why I got it. I called. They told me the farmer who had planted my small hay field had claimed the funds for me for converting a corn field into a permanent vegetative cover to prevent soil erosion. I just shook my head and deposited the check.

We don't have a spending problem it's a revenue problem :roll:

Yeah, modern life is so scary and complex -- let's flee back to the 1880s when life was simple and kids worked in mines.

Jesus, the tea partiers are confused by advanced economies.

No. This is what happens when lobbyists get too powerful.

Complacency and the attitude that it isn't their money, so who cares.

It is their money, since they are administering it. Like all organizations, there are inefficiencies and fraud.

Somehow this is supposed to result in an argument for small government. What rubbish. Can't you come up with something that even approaches a rational argument?

No. This is what happens when lobbyists get too powerful.

Yeah, like the Koch Brothers. Which is why we need to regulate campaign funding. But of course, conservatives are against that. It's as if they speak with forked tongue.

It's odd how libertarians always to "deposit the check", isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom