• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Government goof could save would-be hijacker

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What fools!

In their quest to convict someone at all costs the Bush administration might have inadvertainly saved Zacarias Moussaoui's life or (gasp) even freed him via a mistrail.

The government jerk lawyers responsible for the tainting of the case ought to be strung up and shot!

Angry judge questions U.S. death case against Moussaoui
Coaching of witnesses prompts rebuke

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia (CNN) -- An angry federal judge abruptly adjourned the sentencing trial of al Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui on Monday and is considering whether to declare a mistrial or drop the death penalty as an option.

U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema will hear testimony Tuesday from witnesses whose testimony was coached in violation of court rules.

"I do not want to act precipitously," Brinkema said in scheduling the special hearing Tuesday to probe what she said could be a "very serious taint of a key portion of this case."

Brinkema said the government's error was "egregious," making it "very difficult for this case to go forward."

Moussaoui's attorneys asked the judge to declare a mistrial or take the death penalty off the table, arguing that Moussaoui has been deprived of a fair trial.

A lawyer for the Transportation Safety Administration, Carla Martin, e-mailed transcripts to witnesses, prosecutors disclosed Monday in a letter to the judge and Moussaoui's defense.

According to letter, seven current and former employees of the Federal Aviation Administration were sent transcripts from last week's opening statements and first four days of testimony.

Brinkema said the e-mails "blatantly" violated her February 22 order stating that no trial witness "may attend or otherwise follow trial proceedings, such as read transcripts, before they are called to testify."...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/13/moussaoui.trial/index.html

Last edited:
KidRocks said:

"Might", "could" what's the difference?
Right, it means the same thing. Other than showing us that the thought of his freedom makes you giddy, there is nothing news worthy about this thread.

KidRocks said:
What fools!

In their quest to convict someone at all costs the Bush administration might have inadvertainly saved Zacarias Moussaoui's life or (gasp) even freed him via a mistrail.

The government jerk lawyers responsible for the tainting of the case ought to be strung up and shot!

Angry judge questions U.S. death case against Moussaoui
Coaching of witnesses prompts rebuke

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia (CNN) -- An angry federal judge abruptly adjourned the sentencing trial of al Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui on Monday and is considering whether to declare a mistrial or drop the death penalty as an option.

U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema will hear testimony Tuesday from witnesses whose testimony was coached in violation of court rules.

"I do not want to act precipitously," Brinkema said in scheduling the special hearing Tuesday to probe what she said could be a "very serious taint of a key portion of this case."

Brinkema said the government's error was "egregious," making it "very difficult for this case to go forward."

Moussaoui's attorneys asked the judge to declare a mistrial or take the death penalty off the table, arguing that Moussaoui has been deprived of a fair trial.

A lawyer for the Transportation Safety Administration, Carla Martin, e-mailed transcripts to witnesses, prosecutors disclosed Monday in a letter to the judge and Moussaoui's defense.

According to letter, seven current and former employees of the Federal Aviation Administration were sent transcripts from last week's opening statements and first four days of testimony.

Brinkema said the e-mails "blatantly" violated her February 22 order stating that no trial witness "may attend or otherwise follow trial proceedings, such as read transcripts, before they are called to testify."...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/13/moussaoui.trial/index.html

COmon now... we both know your thrilled with this. YOu would alow or hope for anything to happen if it is to look bad on the president. Not to mention you probably have a poster of this man on your wall.

KCConservative said:
Right, it means the same thing. Other than showing us that the thought of his freedom makes you giddy, there is nothing news worthy about this thread.

Nothing newsworthy about it?

Hmmm, typical dittohead reaction to miss a very important point to my point in posting this article, it's called...

"RULE OF LAW"!

It's called lying, cheating and stealing of which the Bush administrationm has become very adept at doing in their quest to hold onto power.

It's called making a mockery of our valued court system, it's called applying justice whether it's al Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui or your mother on trial.

Do you not believe in America anymore?

Do you feel we have to stoop to our enemies level in order to convict someone in our court system?

Do you feel we have to stoop to our enemies level in order to conduct this war?

Alas my friend, it's not the American way!

Calm2Chaos said:
COmon now... we both know your thrilled with this. YOu would alow or hope for anything to happen if it is to look bad on the president. Not to mention you probably have a poster of this man on your wall.

Sigh...

It's all about President Bush to you dittoheads isn't it?

How sad! :roll:

KidRocks said:
Sigh...

It's all about President Bush to you dittoheads isn't it?

How sad! :roll:

Actually has nothing to do with the president for me, you on the other hand are the complete opposite. But your glee in this has more to do with the president looking bad in your dilluted mind. You trying to connect the mistake of a lawyer to the president. What won't you try to blame on this president or this country...

Sigh................ So So So Pathetic :roll:

Could somebody PLEASE explain to me how President Bush could remotely be responsible for the prosecutions screw-up in this case? Isn't he off somewhere else trying to salvage his approval (or lack thereof) ratings?

No doubt, this is a serious screw up, but to blame it on Bush is, well, rather desperate if you ask me.

I'm not a big fan of Bush but this has NOTHING to do with him or anyone else in Washington.
Its about violating a judges order. Don’t be soo sure to the outcome of this…

And even if the worst does come to be and he's allowed to live
Just how long do you think he will survive in prison?
I don’t think he will find many friends

KidRocks said:
Nothing newsworthy about it?

Hmmm, typical dittohead reaction to miss a very important point to my point in posting this article, it's called...

"RULE OF LAW"!

It's called lying, cheating and stealing of which the Bush administrationm has become very adept at doing in their quest to hold onto power.

It's called making a mockery of our valued court system, it's called applying justice whether it's al Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui or your mother on trial.

Do you not believe in America anymore?

Do you feel we have to stoop to our enemies level in order to convict someone in our court system?

Do you feel we have to stoop to our enemies level in order to conduct this war?

Alas my friend, it's not the American way!

The American way!? What exactly would you know about the American way?

-Is it not the "American way" to wiretap citizens from time to time? Seems to have been the "American way" since the Carter Administration.

-Is it not the "American way" to interrogate prisoners during war? Seems to have been the "American way" since the Revolutionary war.

-Is it not the "American way" to pass prisoners off to allies in who's interrogation practices are less honorable than ours? It seemed to have been the "American way" way as early as Korea where we handed over Chinese to the South Koreans during the Korean War. Seems to have been the "American way" in Somalia too when we passed off Radical Muslims to the Belgians.

Seems to me that you are in need of a lesson as to what the "American way" exactly is. It is not the idealogue visions floating around in your head that you read in comic books, son. The America you believe in is mere myth and sentiment. Our judicial system is broken and the criminal has more rights than our victims. We go to war over humanitarain purposes, economic purposes, and over trade handshakes between allies. In the Cold war, we got into the nasty habit of crushing communist influence wherever the Soviets extended a helping hand to a poor country and hurt a lot of people in the process. We also got into the habit of "supporting" unstable governments that have long outlived their expiration dates in the name of "stability" (see oil). Were you to have lived in the past two hundred years and not just this little speck of time you have existed on this earth, your visions of the "American way" would have a broader definition as prescribed by history and not based on the current events during this isolated brief time.

The events of the day are indeed the "American way." Your visions reflect on the days before the Spanish-American War. The days of isolationalism and before we accidentally stumbled upon imperialism. It was at this time that we had embraced our destiny as a super power and had become what we were supposed to oppose - an anti-imperialist nation.

Welcome to the "American way."

Last edited:
GySgt said:
wherever the Soviets extended a helping hand to a poor country and hurt a lot of people in the process.

I am crying again --- good Soviets extend a helping hand and bad Americans hurt people for that.. Did you ever look what was in the Soviets' hand?
If you don't know let me tell you:-- only "join us agaisnt USA or no help" altenative always was in that hand. What is your sudden love to kind rosy sweet Soviets?

KidRocks:

Captain America:
Could somebody PLEASE explain to me how President Bush could remotely be responsible for the prosecutions screw-up in this case?

I wondered the same thing...

cherokee:
I'm not a big fan of Bush but this has NOTHING to do with him or anyone else in Washington.

Agreed.

Nice wrap up Carl.

Good work team, this thread stunk! :doh

KidRocks said:

If your opinions, such as th ones above, were true, you'd have no problem proving it. But, like always, you just spew the rhetoric.

justone said:
I am crying again --- good Soviets extend a helping hand and bad Americans hurt people for that.. Did you ever look what was in the Soviets' hand?
If you don't know let me tell you:-- only "join us agaisnt USA or no help" altenative always was in that hand. What is your sudden love to kind rosy sweet Soviets?

Once again, you rush to mis-interpret my post. The Soviet's gift was communism and oppression. They attempted to spread influence to impoverished countries for tactical locations and to create allies. Part of the population would have welcomed this as they sucked in the benefits of befriending a super power, while other parts of the populations would have suffered. Our hasty rush to thwart that attempt involved us in some shady deals and as a result part of the population welcomed this as they sucked in the benefits of befriending a super power, while other parts of the population suffered. It is simple reality. I have no love for the Soviet powers.

My post was to show 'kidrocks' that his use of the "American Way" whenever he needs such sentiments to cast shadows on the current administration is in error and is pathetic. If one is going to use such a term, one should at least know the reality of what the term means. History defines the American Way, not an idealogue sentiment long passed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom