• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government bureaucrats prevent average man from building retirement home

Antaeus

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Why we do we continually let random government workers from obscure government offices abuse everyday citizens? Taxpayers are constantly funding workers for pointless government offices. This guy Bert Wasch just wanted to build a RETIREMENT HOME. Crazy, right? But nope. Some moron in Thurston County leadership (WA state) has created endless hoops for him to jump through, that he HAS, and it's been 5 years and he hasn't even started building his home yet. This is close to where I live, makes me wonder what I can and can't do with MY property. This video sums it up nicely and is short. Worth a watch. (Granted the music is a pain.)

Last edited:
It is a little misleading. He wants to build a residential house to live in now that he is retired, not build a retirement home in the commercial sense. I am not a huge fan of zoning other than reasonable setbacks to avoid assholes who want to build their house right on the property line and then overhang their roofs or gutters or whatever on adjoining property. Once in a blue moon there will be a case in my area where someone does something like that against a rear property line and then tries to sue to force someone to sell them property to fix their own mistakes.

It has become a mess in my area too. The city in all its wisdom adopted a new zoning system that puts most residential property and just about all commercial property into non-compliance. While they are grandfathered in, anything you do additionally usually require you get zoning AND city council approval for. It is one of those ways to micromanage people's property and generate a bunch of additional fees. My lot is fine because we have multiple lots on the road front, but most of the houses on my street could never be rebuilt if they burned without obtaining a variance because of the new setback requirements when the lots were originally shaped to comply with prior requirements.

Then there are added things like I would need a permit if I wanted to re-grade party of my property which would cost time, money and give them a reason to come snooping around endlessly hoping to catch another violation. A lady a few blocks from me got cited because she put up two posts with a decorative roof and some wires to hold up grapevines without a permit because it was both a structure because of the roof and was built too high to count as a fence.

Back
Top Bottom