• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Rick Perry calls for federal health care law's repeal

winston53660

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Currently, Texas spends $20 billion annually to provide Medicaid health care to poor children, pregnant women, disabled adults and nursing home residents.
If it left the program, the state would lose 60 percent – or $12 billion – in federal matching funds. In addition, Texas has the highest rate of uninsured residents in the nation.

Gov. Rick Perry calls for federal health care law's repeal as book tour returns to Texas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Politics | The Dallas Morning News

And we already have a 20 billion dollar budget "gap." Where is this 12 billion gonna come from or even half that?

In other news:

[SIZE=+2]

This is our county hospital supported by tax dollars including medicaid dollars. And congrats to them. It most likely is where I will get a heart transplant.
[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

I'm little bit surprised nobody has commented on this thread.

Governor Good-Hair...it's too bad nobody of any substance ran against him. I truly hope he doesn't try to run for president. He's a phony publicity whore of the first degree.

Governor Good-Hair...it's too bad nobody of any substance ran against him. I truly hope he doesn't try to run for president. He's a phony publicity whore of the first degree.

I'll bet you're a Nancy Pelosi fan.

Perry is something of a running joke for local talk radio junkies. One of the hosts has a bit about Pecos Perry riding out on the borderlands to save us from illegal immigrants. The reason he gets made fun of is because he only says/does anything about it when a reporter is in the area. Otherwise he's busy raising taxes on businesses and trying to have a freeway built across Texas that comes from nowhere (important) and goes nowhere (important).

Last edited:
Now that's funny...

I laughed too. This is why I so often refer to conservatives as absolutist. If you didn't agree 100% with him, and that nutjob Perry, he just went and assumed you were a Pelosi fan. (who, in his mind, is a radical leftist) There's no middle ground anymore for these people.

Anyway, Texas is ****ed up. Already having the highest uninsured rate, it's now going to kick a lot of poor people to the curb. This will literally kill people.

I laughed too. This is why I so often refer to conservatives as absolutist. If you didn't agree 100% with him, and that nutjob Perry, he just went and assumed you were a Pelosi fan. (who, in his mind, is a radical leftist) There's no middle ground anymore for these people.

Anyway, Texas is ****ed up. Already having the highest uninsured rate, it's now going to kick a lot of poor people to the curb. This will literally kill people.

Is Texas ending medicare/medicaid? I wasn't aware of that.

Is Texas ending medicare/medicaid? I wasn't aware of that.

In the article, Perry talks about opting out of Medicaid. (not medicare. he needs those votes!) That eliminates $12 billion in matching funds from the feds, money that would have been spent on the poorest of the poor getting health care. (Texas medicaid cutoff is like 25% of the federal poverty level for a working parent... like less than $5000 for a family of 3)

In the article, Perry talks about opting out of Medicaid. (not medicare. he needs those votes!) That eliminates $12 billion in matching funds from the feds, money that would have been spent on the poorest of the poor getting health care. (Texas medicaid cutoff is like 25% of the federal poverty level for a working parent... like less than $5000 for a family of 3)

Not opting out of medicaid. If I remember correctly, he is opting out of the additional funds from obamacare because they will blow up the Texas state budget. He won't be the last governor to do that.

Not opting out of medicaid. If I remember correctly, he is opting out of the additional funds from obamacare because they will blow up the Texas state budget. He won't be the last governor to do that.

Yes, actually, opting out of Medicaid.

Back
Top Bottom