• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov Northam's agenda

Chillfolks

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2019/january/headline-837540-en.html

The Gov of VA is looking at gun control. Usual suspects appear UBC. Gun in safe around under 18. Report lost gun or face penalties.
The Assault Weapons Ban is on possessions and it defines the ASS Weapon as any semi automatic over 10 rounds with detachable magazine.

UBC I could be ok with if it was done the way I see it.
The under 18 I think is BS. Its current VA law to secure weapon around under 14 at max I could see raising it to 16. Lost gun law is BS.
The weapons ban us dangerous .

Read over link it gives more in depth explanations on each point.

Opinions?

Last edited:
https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2019/january/headline-837540-en.html

The Gov of VA is looking at gun control. Usual suspects appear UBC. Gun in safe around under 18. Report lost gun or face penalties.
The Assault Weapons Ban is on possessions and it defines the ASS Weapon as any semi automatic over 10 rounds with detachable magazine.

The under 18 I think is BS. Its current VA law to secure weapon around under 14 at max I could see raising it to 16. Lost gun law is BS.

Opinions?

Why is reporting a lost gun BS?

Why is reporting a lost gun BS?

Reporting a stolen/Lost gun is always a good idea. I disagree on the idea the government has the authority to punish people over losing something or have it stolen. I believe it will be a prove you didn't know law verse the state proving you knew it was lost stolen and did nothing.

Reporting a stolen/Lost gun is always a good idea. I disagree on the idea the government has the authority to punish people over losing something or have it stolen. I believe it will be a prove you didn't know law verse the state proving you knew it was lost stolen and did nothing.

I don't know why people don't understand when they write these laws that you're innocent until proven guilty.

I don't know why people don't understand when they write these laws that you're innocent until proven guilty.

Because the people who write these laws don't give two ****s about your civil rights. They see The Constitution as an obstacle.

Because the people who write these laws don't give two ****s about your civil rights. They see The Constitution as an obstacle.

They want to please their masters. I'm willing to bet this is all just a ploy to gain higher office. This is how you rise in Democrat ranks.

Opinions?

My opinion is that universal background checks violate the 4th Amendment.

My opinion is that universal background checks violate the 4th Amendment.

Please explain.

My POV is I want people to be able to provide proof of identity to vote and I've seen the 4th excuse used to say no to voter ID. I've seen you post in favour of ID laws. So what's the difference? Why is providing proof you're able to exercise one right ok but a violation if you require proof to exercise another?

Opinions?

UBC - No problem

Loaded gun secured (safe not mentioned as prerequisite) from children under 18 - No problem. Do it already.

Report lost/stolen firearm - No problem. Would do it without law.

Assault weapon ban/redefinition to include any firearm with mag capacity of more than 10 rounds - Definitely no. That would constitute most semiautomatic pistols and reduce allowed mag capacity by 50%.

Extreme Risk Protective order - I’d have to read before forming an opinion.

One hand gun purchase per month limit - Wouldn’t impact me personally, but I oppose on principle.

Last time a VA politician (AG Mark Herring) attempted to curtail our rights he got his a** handed to him by the Virginia Citizens Defense League and the NRA.

No punishment for the loss or theft, only for not reporting within 24 hours of finding out. Common sense and concern for community should more than enough reason to report ASAP.

No punishment for the loss or theft, only for not reporting within 24 hours of finding out. Common sense and concern for community should more than enough reason to report ASAP.

How is this enforceable?

How is this enforceable?
Without having the proposed law available to reference, my wag is if law enforcement comes across a lost/stolen weapon used in the commission of a crime they’d track down the registered owner and if the owner knew the firearm was missing, but chose not to report it, they’d have some splainin to do.

Without having the proposed law available to reference, my wag is if law enforcement comes across a lost/stolen weapon used in the commission of a crime they’d track down the registered owner and if the owner knew the firearm was missing, but chose not to report it, they’d have some splainin to do.

There shouldn't be a gun registry. It serves no propose.

How do they prove that the owner knew the gun was missing for any length of time?

How do they prove that the owner knew the gun was missing for any length of time?
I suppose authorities would have to have evidence that the owner made statements to others acknowledging the missing firearm/s more than 24 hours without reporting it(?).

Well it's only purpose is for confiscation.
And informing law enforcement of possible danger should they have to serve warrants or respond to domestic violence calls at the address of the registered owner, or possible future taxing (VA taxes everything, including vehicles with no bank note), or crime statistic analysis, etc..

Please explain.

My POV is I want people to be able to provide proof of identity to vote and I've seen the 4th excuse used to say no to voter ID. I've seen you post in favour of ID laws. So what's the difference? Why is providing proof you're able to exercise one right ok but a violation if you require proof to exercise another?

As far as I know "universal" background checks will look into private medical records to see if there is a history of mental illness. That violates the 4th Amendment.

Voting isn't a civil right. Gun ownership is. I don't have to pass a background check, or obtain a license to become a journalist, or excercise my religion.

The 4th Amendment argument is used to legalize abortion. The same argument applies to UBC's.

As far as I know "universal" background checks will look into private medical records to see if there is a history of mental illness. That violates the 4th Amendment.

Voting isn't a civil right. Gun ownership is. I don't have to pass a background check, or obtain a license to become a journalist, or excercise my religion.

The 4th Amendment argument is used to legalize abortion. The same argument applies to UBC's.

The only UBC laws I've seen simply require the buyer and seller to use an FFL to access NICS, which only looks into data in the NICS database.

As far as I know "universal" background checks will look into private medical records to see if there is a history of mental illness.
You know? How do you know? Provide proof.

It o the best of my knowledge this bill does not include any mental health screening

Back
Top Bottom