• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Jerry Brown signs bill to increase access to abortions [W:148]

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I thought surely someone would've posted this news yesterday, but since nobody else has:

SACRAMENTO – Giving California women more access to abortion, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Wednesday that allows nurse practitioners and certain other non-physicians to perform the procedure during the first trimester of pregnancy.

…Neither Brown nor his staff would comment on his acceptance of the bill, which extends the authority to perform abortions by vacuum aspiration to nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives and physicians' assistants.

The measure requires the non-physicians to complete specified training and comply with standardized medical protocols for the non-surgical procedure.

Gov. Jerry Brown signs bill to increase access to abortions - latimes.com

I thought surely someone would've posted this news yesterday, but since nobody else has:

SACRAMENTO – Giving California women more access to abortion, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Wednesday that allows nurse practitioners and certain other non-physicians to perform the procedure during the first trimester of pregnancy.

…Neither Brown nor his staff would comment on his acceptance of the bill, which extends the authority to perform abortions by vacuum aspiration to nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives and physicians' assistants.

The measure requires the non-physicians to complete specified training and comply with standardized medical protocols for the non-surgical procedure.

The group of people you mention can already to a lot with extra training. My mother had her leg veins harvested by a PA for her open heart surgery.

Do you have an issue with NMW and PAs in general or just with things you disagree with?

Hey, remember the California Governor who signed the bill making abortion legal? Long before Roe v Wade?

What a disgusting human being; says a lot about the voters in that state.

Wish the nation would follow California's example, in all aspects.

Hey, remember the California Governor who signed the bill making abortion legal? Long before Roe v Wade?

Please say it was Reagan.....please......

As a civilized nation we should be doing all we can to respect human rights and restrict access to abortions and cease to recognize it as some kind of right. Expanding the ability to access an abortion and who can provide them only endangers the human lives of the unborn and should be completely unacceptable and recognized as an abhorrent practice. If anything we should be punishing the people that do this, not expanding it.

Please say it was Reagan.....please......
yes Reagan signed an abortion bill when he was a newly elected governor of California. There had been a push for sometime by the State Democrat legislative branch to pass the bill. Reagan and his staff calculated that if he vetoed the bill, his veto would be overridden by the state legislature. Therefore, he decided to do what he could to make the bill less harmful, arguing for the insertion of certain language that eliminated its worst features and allowed for abortion only in rare cases — such as rape or incest, or where pregnancy would gravely impair the physical or mental health of the mother. The rape and incest cases had to be legally proved but the "mental health" thing turned out to be the catchall and abortions soared in California. In his memoirs it is the one thing in his political career he called a mistake. When he became president, he was the most outspoken advocate against abortion. A sign of a good leader is one who recognizes his mistakes. After all, Reagan was once a young and dumb New Deal Democrat and with age/knowledge he had the wisdom to correct that one too.

As a civilized nation we should be doing all we can to respect human rights and restrict access to abortions and cease to recognize it as some kind of right. Expanding the ability to access an abortion and who can provide them only endangers the human lives of the unborn and should be completely unacceptable and recognized as an abhorrent practice. If anything we should be punishing the people that do this, not expanding it.

Digsbe when I read the news about Governor Brown's passage of this new legislation, I was really saddened. It stirred up a lot of emotions. First it dawned on me that there seems to be such a need to increase those available to perform abortions that the governor has now extended the procedure to include others he had deemed qualified. I looked up the stats of the percentage of children born to single parents in California and the rate is around 42% of all births being born to single women. From the latest statistics available California is the abortion capital of the nation. California has also spent billions in education of the use of birth control and has made it very readily available to all women yet it seems to have no affect.

So what is a person to conclude? Between the number of abortions being performed and the number of babies born to single women, with birth control readily available, one can only conclude there's a good portion of the female race today who is down right stupid or she has become one heartless bitch that has lost her soul to use abortion as a means of birth control.

Then you have their male counterparts big advocates for abortion and why is that? Because they have lost their souls too? Like maybe in their selfishness, as long as abortion is not questioned they have no responsibility in their donations of sperm.

As I read the article it spoke of abortions performed in the first trimester using the sucking vacuum method. The first trimester includes the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. In the twelfth week of pregnancy, the forming baby has its own heart pumping its own blood, its body is formed down to its fingers and toes. Its kidneys are working, nails on its fingers and toes are forming and its brain continues to develop. It is the twelfth week that the baby's vocal cords develop. I wonder if this little creature then cries out when it is being sucked out of its mother's womb before being placed in a bag labeled medical waste.

California is now the fifth state to allow non- physician abortions.
The other states are Oregon, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Montanta.

If they are properly trained, I see no issue with this and studies have shown abortion to be just as safe (for the woman, of course) when performed by NPs as when done by doctors.

Study: Abortions Are Safe When Performed By Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Certified Nurse Midwives | ucsf.edu

The very title of that article is a lie.

Is it safer for me to shoot you in the head with a handgun, or to cut your throat with a knife?

It will never be honest nor ethical to describe as “safe”, a procedure which needlessly and unjustly takes a human life.

So let me get this straight. NPs can perform abortions in five states where NPs are not allowed to practice independently? Unless they are performing an abortion.

I realize that early abortions are pretty safe procedures, but there are a lot of safe procedures out there that NPs can perform. Why are they only allowed to do abortions in those five states?

So, I had a facebook friend post a picture of Obama alongside Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot. I complained to him that the picture was out of bounds and pretty disgusting. His answer was that Obama is as bad because he is president and pro abortion and he is going to hell, yadda yadda.

I then presented him with the info about Reagan making abortion legal in CA, his answer was that Reagan isn't in hell, probably, because he reallllly was against it later on, and all them dead babies aren't his fault like they are Obama's fault.

Not a facebook friend anymore, I don't need to kill any brain cells on a Neanderthal like that.

So, I had a facebook friend post a picture of Obama alongside Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot. I complained to him that the picture was out of bounds and pretty disgusting. His answer was that Obama is as bad because he is president and pro abortion and he is going to hell, yadda yadda.

I then presented him with the info about Reagan making abortion legal in CA, his answer was that Reagan isn't in hell, probably, because he reallllly was against it later on, and all them dead babies aren't his fault like they are Obama's fault.

Not a facebook friend anymore, I don't need to kill any brain cells on a Neanderthal like that.

Speaking of friends, I have a friend that had an abortion and decades later she still carries a burden of guilt that she can't forgive herself. When she breaksdown talking about it, all I can offer her is a hug. This is a real problem among women who have had abortions and later on are filled with remorse. Too bad the Govm't and Planned Parenthood and those males who think it may kill a few brain cells thinking about it or want to make it political never take that into consideration.

Speaking of friends, I have a friend that had an abortion and decades later she still carries a burden of guilt that she can't forgive herself. When she breaksdown talking about it, all I can offer her is a hug. This is a real problem among women who have had abortions and later on are filled with remorse. Too bad the Govm't and Planned Parenthood and those males who think it may kill a few brain cells thinking about it or want to make it political never take that into consideration.

I know two people that gave up babies for adoption. One was about 4 decades ago and it haunts deeply her to this day. Attempts to reconnect have been unsuccessful. The other was culturally bullied to give the baby to a somewhat distant relative and was pushed to move to the US.

Unwanted pregnancy is difficult any way you look at it.

I know two people that gave up babies for adoption. One was about 4 decades ago and it haunts deeply her to this day. Attempts to reconnect have been unsuccessful. The other was culturally bullied to give the baby to a somewhat distant relative and was pushed to move to the US.

Unwanted pregnancy is difficult any way you look at it.

I can only imagine what it is like for the one who gave their baby away left always wondering. After all, that baby was part of them.
And when women choose abortion that too means part of them they have chosen to kill. Yes unwanted pregnancy is difficult any way you look at it. But it doesn't explain in this day in age with so many means of birth control available for the asking that so many women are ending up in this predicament.

Ok. So they are going to train them to do something not much more complicated than placing an IUD, which nurses can do, and then let them do it.

I fail to see a problem.

So let me get this straight. NPs can perform abortions in five states where NPs are not allowed to practice independently? Unless they are performing an abortion.

I realize that early abortions are pretty safe procedures, but there are a lot of safe procedures out there that NPs can perform. Why are they only allowed to do abortions in those five states?

It's just another way of trying to reduce access to women by limiting the number of medical professionals who can do it.

the Brown bill does the opposite. It increases access to abortion for women, but keeps prenatal care with doctors only, whereas in many states NPs can do much of the prenatal care.

This is a clear example of a bill being pro-abortion, not pro-choice. It only improves access to abortions, while keeping access to prenatal care in its current limited state.

It makes a sort of perverse sense - you don't have to be a doctor to kill for money. The credential is a technicality, as you're no longer even a doctor once you piss all over the professional oaths a physician must take.

So now you can profit from being an unethical turdstack that can't shuffle off this mortal coil fast enough... even faster in California.

Why can't Arizona Bay be a reality?

The group of people you mention can already to a lot with extra training. My mother had her leg veins harvested by a PA for her open heart surgery.

Do you have an issue with NMW and PAs in general or just with things you disagree with?

What an odd question, given that I offered no opinion in the OP.

Now I will: California has abandoned any pretense of "rare," hasn't it?

(You remember former President Clinton's "Abortion should not only be safe and legal, it should be rare" quote at the 1996 DNC and that President Obama has echoed this, I'm sure.)

They've also abandoned "safe", since they don't trust NPs to do anything else without supervision from a doctor.

Actually in 2012 18 states and DC allowed NPs to diagnose, treat,and perscripe meds.
In 2012, 18 states and the District of Columbia allowed nurse practitioners to diagnose and treat patients and prescribe medications without a physician's involvement, while 32 states required physician involvement to diagnose and treat or prescribe medications, or both

read more:

Health Policy Briefs

They've also abandoned "safe", since they don't trust NPs to do anything else without supervision from a doctor.

I disagree . They have not abondoned safe , and many states do trust NPs to treat, diagnose , and prescribe meds to patients.

Oregon, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Montana, do allow NPs to treat, diagnose, and prescribe meds to patients.

I hope California will added to the 18 states that already allow NPs to treat , diagnose and prescribe meds to patients.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom