• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Gavin Newsom easily survives California recall election, AP projects

9.6 million ballots have been counted so far.

CA has now released its unprocessed ballot status:

About 2.9 million ballots are left to be counted the next 5 weeks.

That would be a turnout of 12.5 of the 22 million registered voters, or 56%.

12.5 million turnout is not bad for a non-President election, but a bit lower than I expected (13-14 million).

But I guess the large polling lead that Newsom built in the final weeks kept a few Republicans from voting, who thought it doesn’t matter at this point ...

Cyclical. Weather-related. Florida's infections and deaths have plummeted.

But, of course, you bury your head in the sand, doncha?
Then how come other states which kept health measures or have much higher vaccination rates are not experiencing this massive jump?

Then how come other states which kept health measures or have much higher vaccination rates are not experiencing this massive jump?
Ummmmm, the weather.

Ummmmm, the weather.
What weather exactly? It is summer all across the US, people are out and about in all states. Alaska is also experiencing a jump in COVID and it is getting much colder there. Weather does not seem to play much of a role.

What weather exactly? It is summer all across the US, people are out and about in all states. Alaska is also experiencing a jump in COVID and it is getting much colder there. Weather does not seem to play much of a role.
Hot muggy weather.

It's like me trying to tell someone in France that they live in a great place when I don't live there. From what I hear about Virginia it is filled with confederate flags on truck antennas with rifles in the back window parked outside their trailer in some remote mountain area off dirt roads. Amirite?
Nailed it.... ;)

Ok I admit you got me on the rankings...I should have said "extremely high", not highest so there I will concede to being "naive". But its still way up there. And I did live there for 35 years. In a crappy, crime-ridden city. I was the victim of a strong-arm mugging, car stolen twice, my business robbed. Family obligations kept me from leaving until just recently, otherwise I would have been gone long ago. Yes every STATE has crime but more important is the varying crime statistics in cities. To get away from everyday crime in CA you have to move to an elite city and that costs $$$$$$. The hamlet I live in here in ID just ouside of Boise is not expensive and barely any crime at all.
But it's near Boise :) No offense, I have loved Idaho. Any state in through whose Capitol city you can drift downstream on a raft and catch trout while doing so is fine by me. And don't get me started on the River of No Return Wilderness.

But California is magnificent in many places. Even oft-maligned Oakland has great weather and neighborhoods and culture. My city, Berkeley, has more fog, but that's the only drawback, aside from crazy Cal student pedestrians with death wishes. And as I have posted, the rectangle stretching from Mendocino to Tahoe to Yosemite to Monterey/Big Sur has it all, though our beachers could be warmer. And yes, housing prices are absurd, (supply and demand), though we try to address that where I live. Crime is bad in our cities, as it has been since the Roman Empire days, an eternal problem throughout the world.

11.1 million ballots have now been counted.

2 million remain to be counted.

Turnout could actually hit 13 million, out off the 22.1 million registered voters - or 59%.

That would be a bit lower than the 61.2% in the 2003 recall.

Last edited:
The Dems did very well at messaging. If you can't see that, that's on you. Being a homer means nothing.

The GOP must message better and it has to be much more than "we are not Trump.'

The Dems are on the defense, losing against legislation that takes away voting rights mostly affecting Dem voters. Tell me how "very well at messaging" the Dems are doing there. If you can't see that, that's on you.

The Dems lost to an inept clown in 2016 then, after proving himself the inept clown he was, won in 2020. The Dems won not because of superior messaging, but because Trump proved himself an idiot. Now, the Dems barely have a House majority, have a 50/50 Senate that, though has a VP tie-breaking vote, is conservative controlled by a couple Dems that won't go along with the Dems. All because not enough Dems got elected in 2020. Tell me how "very well at messaging" the Dems did and are doing for 2022 there. If you can't see that, that's on you.

At least some of those are political issues as opposed to being a trump. I do believe that min wage shouldn't be 15, have you gone through the drive through lately? I see suppressing vote and supporting racism as trump policy which would need be purged before I vote conservative.

If you want no voter suppression of the nature we are seeing and the need to purge racism, then increasing the MW that you are against would thereby happen because voter suppression and racism is all about keeping back lib/Dem influence on such policy as MW.

I honestly don't think that a McConnell type stands a chance in California. It would have to be a moderate that isn't afraid to be liberal on social issues....a Republican that is fiscally conservative with liberal social tendencies would probably clean house in California.

As a person, neither McConnell or Romney could win CA. Kinzinger could, but real cons have won CA before, like Wilson and Deukmejian. But fiscally con and social lib Reps would clean house across the nation. Thing is, Reps do not necessarily turn out either so fiscally con or so socially lib.

Back
Top Bottom