• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Gavin Newsom easily survives California recall election, AP projects

Taxes are high in California on high income residents but lower than Texas on middle and low income residents.

The high cost of living is all about high housing costs in California. What’s behind California’s housing nightmare? Runaway NIMBYism, which has blocked new housing construction. California’s economic performance matched that of Texas in the 2010s, but it issued far fewer building permits despite having a larger population. California gained three million jobs between 2010 and 2019 but added fewer than 700,000 housing units.

You can keep your bigotry against immigrants to yourself.
So, being against unfettered ILLEGAL immigration is being a bigot? No wonder I dislike the left intensely.

OUr last new reservoir as built over 40 years ago, when our population was almost half of what it is today. Water management is a huge problem here.
Yeah, so I've read. The problem is not only more people, but less water to go around as droughts continue to increase.

Yeah, so I've read. The problem is not only more people, but less water to go around as droughts continue to increase.
If it was managed properly, it wouldn't be a problem. As they say, when it rains, it pours, but we lose most of the water to the ocean rather than capture it in reservoirs (FYI, I lived on two reservoirs back in my NY days)

If it was managed properly, it wouldn't be a problem. As they say, when it rains, it pours, but we lose most of the water the ocean rather than capture it in reservoirs (FYI, I lived on two reservoirs back in my NY days)
Well that's part of the problem with droughts; it doesn't pour so you end up with less available water to collect. From a reservoir perspective I imagine more might be useful, but if the amount of rain is decreasing, then that only gets you so far. Is there any debate going about water management as it relates to agriculture?

It's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. California was one of the states that lost a representative due to the 2020 census. 2010 was the first time California didn't gain any representatives since they became a state. Now, 2020 California loses one. There is a trend developing here.
From an economic standpoint, is it a bad thing to continue GDP growth while loosing population? It looks to me like the remaining population will simply be richer.

Well that's part of the problem with droughts; it doesn't pour so you end up with less available water to collect. From a reservoir perspective I imagine more might be useful, but if the amount of rain is decreasing, then that only gets you so far. Is there any debate going about water management as it relates to agriculture?
That's been a forever fight - literally decades - residential versus agriculture, North verses South.

Seems like housing would be going down not up here then.
Not necessarily if incomes are going up. Prices may go down for the poorer homes but go up for the better ones. That might increase gentrification and result in fewer homes available for low income residents, and cause their prices to go up as well.

Hmmmm. In th city I am in, they have been building like crazy for 20 years and now more than ever, so I would question the accuracy of your post.
What part of your personal, vague, non-quantified, non-recorded anecdote proves anything?

So, being against unfettered ILLEGAL immigration is being a bigot? No wonder I dislike the left intensely.

You're not for unfettered legal immigration either

Did you see my links showing you are 100% wrong.........AGAIN!
You said U Haul was begging people to return their trucks, as though they wanted them driven back to California. Just not true. Customers return them to the nearest U Haul to their destination. No begging involved. This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder how old you really are.

I guess it will come more to a head when water scarcity becomes more dire.
Hopefully it won't. We ebb and flow. Unforunately IMHO, the global warming scare has politicians making ill advised policy decisions based more on politics than science.

You said U Haul was begging people to return their trucks, as though they wanted them driven back to California. Just not true. Customers return them to the nearest U Haul to their destination. No begging involved. This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder how old you really are.
The begging is in the form of rates. To rent a uhaul from ATL to Los Angeles is 1/3 of the price of a rental from Los Angles to ATL.

The begging is in the form of rates. To rent a uhaul from ATL to Los Angeles is 1/3 of the price of a rental from Los Angles to ATL.
That's not begging. That's just charging what the traffic will bear. They're smiling, not begging.

I wouldn't be applying for work at SpaceX if I were you. As I wrote in post #95, highly educated, high-income workers — who do indeed pay higher taxes in California than in most other parts of the U.S. — were continuing to migrate into California. California’s experience, in other words, calls out the lie to conservative claims that taxing the rich and spending more on social programs destroy prosperity, as people paying those high taxes were migrating to CA.
I didn't say a thing about taxes. Me thinks you read more into my post that what was there. I just went by the numbers and the numbers show the population of California is either shrinking or not keeping up with the rest of the U.S. Now I can show this through their electoral college votes or the number of representatives. Electoral College votes by decades.

1900 9
1910 10
1920 13
1930 22
1940 25
1950 32
1960 40
1970 45
1980 47
1990 54
2000 55
2010 55 First year since California became a state, California didn't increase their representatives or the number of electoral college votes.
2020 54 First year since California became a state, California lost a representative and lost a electoral college vote.

Who drives them back?

From an economic standpoint, is it a bad thing to continue GDP growth while loosing population? It looks to me like the remaining population will simply be richer.
I'm no financial guru, so I'll leave it up to those who are to figure that out. But the fact is California lost a representative as a result of last years census and the only way that happens if either California is shrinking in population or not keeping up with the growth of the rest of the U.S.

Note how the commentary shifted.... "it's amazing" and people flowed right into the shifting.

How would've the election turned out had Elder been a Mitt Romney? Or even a Mitch McConnell? If they can survive the primaries, Rep candidates don't need to act too far away from the far right to beat Dems labelled as libs.
Good question. Hope to see more conservatives on that list of common sense conservatives.

If you look at the chart, the GDP of Calif. is less than Arizona and many other states. They have benefited from a huge bailout by the feds and a booming stock market from money that Biden gave away, including unemployment money to many which have now run dry. Unless you are silicon Valley in the computer biz, the richer people are moving out and the poorer people are staying. Mexico is taking over many towns and draining the resources and this is what Calif depends on to feed the schools with illegals for the teachers and this creates government jobs and primarily union jobs. When the market goes back down after the money runs out from the feds, Calif. will sink into the Pacific.

Hopefully it won't. We ebb and flow. Unforunately IMHO, the global warming scare has politicians making ill advised policy decisions based more on politics than science.
Except now the realities of weather changes make it hard to ignore; we're seeing pattern changes across the board with more frequency. I've already sat in town meetings to discuss improvements to the sewage system because the amount of flooding into residential and commercial units has increased significantly over the past few years and specifically due to the intensity of rain events.

Whether here or in other parts of the world, there is growing action required to handle the impacts of weather changes to ensure people and property are protected, because from an economic perspective there is a lot to lose if nations continue to ignore the increasing threats. The idea we can just put it off doesn't make much sense anymore lest we end up reacting to events rather than being better prepared.

You said building had dropped and you were wrong.
I didn't say that. Someone else did.

And that person linked evidence. With, you know, actual numbers.

I don't think you understand: "building like crazy in my area" is a weak ass anecdote. Your personal observations during your commute to your accounting job don't mean shit.

Back
Top Bottom