• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Got my "free" in home tests yesterday

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I got my four government-paid home COVID tests in the mail yesterday. They have an expiration date of July 11, 2022. Given my semi-reclusive lifestyle, I wonder if I will ever use them. As I have had all three shots, I might not even realize I have COVID and just think the symptoms were another allergy attack. Though if they are accompanied by a fever, I would be concerned. I also have an oximeter to measure my lung function.

My first likely reaction, if I thought I had the virus, would be to rush to the store to stock up on groceries to last me through the quarantine, even though that would be “irresponsible” even if I wore a mask and went early in the morning when few people were in the store. I wonder how many infected people have already done something like that. I don’t have a smart phone for uber eats.

Are these the rapid tests?

In the UK I can order a pack of 7 from the government for next day delivery for free and it's been that way for well over 18 months now. You can walk into any pharmacy and get packs as well for nothing and with no questions asked.

Why has it taken the US so long?

This isn't a complaint or dig, just an honest question as I assumed the tests were freely available everywhere.

I got mine, and will try and get them every month. I own a company and they sure come in handy. America is a bit late on this, and of course not as efficient as the UK. But, glad I got them.

What's the use of test kits at this point? Oh wait, there's still $millions to be made. Never let a good disaster go to waste as one wise politician once said.

In the UK I can order a pack of 7 from the government for next day delivery for free and it's been that way for well over 18 months now. You can walk into any pharmacy and get packs as well for nothing and with no questions asked.

This isn't a complaint or dig, just an honest question as I assumed the tests were freely available everywhere.

Matters not a jot as the test results are meaningless and worthless .

But to convince yourself , run a test and then repeat with a couple of fruit , a couple of vegetables and a chair .
All will probably show positive .

They will show they had at least a molecule of virus but no indication if what virus ,age or infectiousness .

Even the WHO has essentially officially discarded old style tests . And who needs them to tell that you have a mild common cold .

I got mine, and will try and get them every month. I own a company and they sure come in handy. America is a bit late on this, and of course not as efficient as the UK. But, glad I got them.

As far as I know, most UK companies wouldn't let you in the building without 2 tests a week being negative.
It's just a standard part of life now. Jamming a q-tip(sp?) up my nose is a twice weekly joy I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to.

But to convince yourself , run a test and then repeat with a couple of fruit , a couple of vegetables and a chair .

They will show they had at least a molecule of virus but no indication if what virus ,age or infectiousness .

Even the WHO has essentially officially discarded old style tests . And who needs them to tell that you have a mild common cold .

Well, useless or not the government ordered ****ing boatloads of the things so we may as well use them now.
Whoever got that contract is now officially "Minted".

Why has it taken so long? Good question. Here in the states, it takes an ungodly time to do just about anything.
Strange enough, the Empire State Building was built in one year 45 days. That was almost a century ago. Now..it takes 6 damn months to build a
ramp to the expressway. Everything that's done has to be talked about, hire consultants, looked at for a few weeks, send the plans to a team of Lawyers who might look at your project after playing 67 rounds of golf. Sent back to God knows where and then usually gets misplaced ...
Ok, I'm exaggerating somewhat but ask any citizen how long part of a highway will be fixed. They'll usually say "Sometime Never"

Why has it taken so long? Good question. Here in the states, it takes an ungodly time to do just about anything.
Strange enough, the Empire State Building was built in one year 45 days. That was almost a century ago. Now..it takes 6 damn months to build a
ramp to the expressway. Everything that's done has to be talked about, hire consultants, looked at for a few weeks, send the plans to a team of Lawyers who might look at your project after playing 67 rounds of golf. Sent back to God knows where and then usually gets misplaced ...
Ok, I'm exaggerating somewhat but ask any citizen how long part of a highway will be fixed. They'll usually say "Sometime Never"

If you like delays on building jobs you'll bloody love the expansion of London Heathrow Airport.
It's seriously hilarious just how long it's taken just to get to the point where they may possibly maybe at some future time start actually building something.

It started in 2006 and as of yet, it's still in the discussion phase because of course it is.
When the UK does delays it really does delays like an absolute boss.

If you like delays on building jobs you'll bloody love the expansion of London Heathrow Airport.
It's seriously hilarious just how long it's taken just to get to the point where they may possibly maybe at some future time start actually building something.

It started in 2006 and as of yet, it's still in the discussion phase because of course it is.
When the UK does delays it really does delays like an absolute boss.
Damn! 2006? Christ, seems like planes will be obsolete before they get-their-asses in gear.
Are you sure the construction project isn't handled by Americans? :)

What's the use of test kits at this point? Oh wait, there's still $millions to be made. Never let a good disaster go to waste as one wise politician once said.
Well, we work with a many seniors, and some hospitals so people there might not have good antibodies and get sicker from Omicron that others. I try not to give more than I'm selling. I'm thankful I don't have to shell it out myself anymore, I've spent a lot of tests. It's not useless to me.

I got my four government-paid home COVID tests in the mail yesterday. They have an expiration date of July 11, 2022. Given my semi-reclusive lifestyle, I wonder if I will ever use them. As I have had all three shots, I might not even realize I have COVID and just think the symptoms were another allergy attack. Though if they are accompanied by a fever, I would be concerned. I also have an oximeter to measure my lung function.

My first likely reaction, if I thought I had the virus, would be to rush to the store to stock up on groceries to last me through the quarantine, even though that would be “irresponsible” even if I wore a mask and went early in the morning when few people were in the store. I wonder how many infected people have already done something like that. I don’t have a smart phone for uber eats.

I used one of our four tests this week. Feeling rotten all week and took one to be sure. Negative. :)

I think my problem is spring came to quickly to California with all the recent rain and heat we've had.
IOW, sore throat, laryngitis and constant sneezing is weather related.

Damn! 2006? Christ, seems like planes will be obsolete before they get-their-asses in gear.
Are you sure the construction project isn't handled by Americans? :)

It's been an omnishambles for a long time and was discussed way before 2006.
London has needed more airport capacity for decades but all the airports are near towns that all have a say and that just means deadlock.

The UK just doesn't have any open spaces for a new airport and London is a place where people from all over the world want to live so its growth is insatiable.

I'm really interested in the building of HS2 which is Europes largest infrastructure project but trains won't start using that until 2029 at the earliest so the UK seems to love monster projects.

Bureaucracy and politics then.

If you didn't think you'd need them, why did you request them?

Time to first lie.

First sentence.

Sounds like a good argument for stocking up and getting “ubereats” (or whatever).

Time to first lie.

First sentence.
You score 0/10 for correct information .
All lateral flow tests along with PCR are meaningless and worthless in terms of diagnostics and specifically for the never isolated virus code named SARS 2Covid19 .
Given that the test inventor said this himself numerous times is a clue .
DYOR and try to rectify your Gullibility .

If you didn't think you'd need them, why did you request them?
I guess I was preparing for the unexpected. My lifestyle might change, or a new, more virulent form of the virus might suddenly appear.

All lateral flow tests along with PCR are meaningless and worthless in terms of diagnostics and specifically for the never isolated virus code named SARS 2Covid19 .

Uneducated and Conspiracy Theory minded OPINION noted.....

and your post is derived...?

My opinion would be

1. we do not have fully socialized healthcare, so the speed of things depends on supply and demand. If people will get paid for something, they will do it. Look at how pizza places delivered toilet paper and breweries sold sanitizer. covid items are controlled by the govt and 'free' so there is 100% demand, and no incentive to supply. Aspirin can be found everywhere.
2. govt sucks at pretty much everything, which includes deciding what to buy, who to make it, who gets it, and how to get it to them, unless they warp speed it and pay 10x whats its worth and bypass all their own rules. Then you get a trickle of gas from the reserves that last a day, or 3 tests 6 weeks after you need them when you dont even need them and they dont really work
3. Our population is 5x yours and very spread out.

I've heard stories of assholes both with COVID going through a drive thru and telling the worker "you should wash your hands, we have covid". they should not be out with COVID. And given how many selfish people are in the world, that has definitely happened a hell of a lot. Or people going to work or school while testing positive for COVID

anyway, got my tests last week

Back
Top Bottom