• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Got any famous ancestors?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Got it! That's all the clue I needed, baby cakes.

Your name is Chris L. Jesus. :mrgreen: :2wave:

If she is of the Jesus clan, then I most definitely must take a trip to meet her. :lol:

If she is of the Jesus clan, then I most definitely must take a trip to meet her. :lol:

I'm not, but you're still welcome any time lizzie! :)

According to the geneologists in the family I am related to Martha Washington and Robert E. Lee. Who knows how accurate that is, though.

I'm a direct descendant of Adam. Also of Noah, most likely through his son, Shem.

As for more recent ancestors, I've been told that Eli Whitney may be among my ancestors or near-ancestors; but I don't know any more detail than this.

I have, of course, mentioned my great-great grandfather, Edwin Rushton, who is somewhat famous as the source for the alleged White Horse Prophecy.

And we're all related to the mice, ya know.

Mark Twain is one of mine - my great great grandmother was a Clemens.... Don't know exactly how she was related to him, but she was directly related in some way.... Am in the midst these days of trying to find out exactly how.

Anyone else?

Cousin of William the Conqueror is my main one. My Grandfathers surname even has a town named after it :rofl

The Wolcott family. For American history purposes, Oliver Wolcott Sr. signed the Declaration of Independence, later became Governor of Connecticut. His son became Secretary of Treasury after Hamilton, then later Secretary of Treasury for Washington and Adams, then also became Governor of Connecticut.

It's hard to say, really, as "Thomas" isn't actually my family's name. As near as we can figure, it was originally either "Doumous" or "Dumas," and changed when we got to Ellis Island.

We do, however; have a fairly longstanding military tradition in the United States. On the paternal side, my Great Great Great Grandfather was a Major in the Union Cavalry during the Civil War, my Great Grandfather fought in the trenches during WW1, and my Grandfather served in the Merchant Marines and Army during WW2 and Korea.

My mother's side of the family supposedly fought in the American Revolution and threw in their lot with the Confederacy during the Civil War. More recently, my maternal Grandfather actually served as an MP in the Air Force guarding nuclear missile silos during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Cousin of William the Conqueror is my main one. My Grandfathers surname even has a town named after it :rofl

I dated a girl who was supposedly 400th or something in line for the English throne once. She wouldn't shut up about it. :lol:

Last edited:
I dated a girl who was supposedly 400th or something in line for the English throne once. She wouldn't shut up about it. :lol:

We've had so many dynasties of kings and Queens that its probably nullified unless she is a Windsor as they are the current royal family. If it went as far back as mine then it Definitely does not count any more. :mrgreen:

Not an ancestor, really, but this silent screen icon is my mother's cousin.

PH0286.jpg

Directly personally as personae? No. My ancestors were slaughtered down to only about 300 in wars with the USA, but also the only indigenous/native Americans to never be defeated by or surrendered to the United States.

Fortunately, for them, the federal government couldn't go into debt or pay with IOU paper money, plus did not have the massive level of taxes as now, so had difficulty coming up with volunteers to go fight (and get slaughtered) in swamps in exchange for a promise of their own swamp land they could take from the Seminoles, which was a composite of runaways from various tribes and to some extent runaway slaves.

It was those runaway slaves accepted by the Seminoles that was the propaganda used for recruitment of a militia - and the runaway-slaves town they established was successfully attacked and slaughtered. However, the US military with then-technology couldn't win battles in the swamps, which the Seminoles used hit and run tactics successfully. As for my person-to-person lineage, that is unknown as no such records going back were kept.

How do you live up to an ancestor like British Olympic oarsman Matthew Pinsent's?

" ...But there are still more surprises, which unfold at the College of Arms. William Howard was descended from Edward I (1239-1307), the Hammer of the Scots and one of the most famous kings in British history. Edward, in turn, was descended from William the Conqueror.

However, at least one of the documents that Matthew views takes things a little too far: a beautiful medieval roll, created at a time when kings claimed to have the divine right to govern, purports to shows the relationship of British monarchy to Jesus, King David, Adam and Eve and even the Supreme Being himself. “At the top of your pedigree,” Matthew is told, “there is God.”... "

Matthew Pinsent | Who Do You Think You Are Magazine

Back
Top Bottom