• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP Plan

Re: Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP

Why have insurance?

Who makes that decision?

Are you suggesting government ban insurance?

I thought in a free country those who want to can offer insurance and those who want insurance can buy it.

Why do we all have to walk single file behind the leader?

An other option would be single payer with option to buy additional private insurance.

Re: Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP

An other option would be single payer with option to buy additional private insurance.

You mean free healthcare for all?

Many people think obama wanted obamacare to fail so that the public would demand socialized medicine to replace it

This is a system that I would actually support, but have little hope of it working. The reason I fear it wouldn't work is because I don't believe the government would allow itself to be upstaged by the private insurance, and the same people who bitch and moan about "Cadillac Plans" today would bitch and moan about the health care that those of us who pay extra would get that the "free" system doesn't offer.

I think, in the end, the only way a single payer system persists is in the absence or near absence of competition. You can't have the gainfully employed getting to see a doctor the day they get sick while those on the free system have to wait days for an appointment... No, everyone should wait days.

You mean free healthcare for all?

Many people think obama wanted obamacare to fail so that the public would demand socialized medicine to replace it

Socialized healthcare is not the same as a single payer system.

This is a system that I would actually support, but have little hope of it working. The reason I fear it wouldn't work is because I don't believe the government would allow itself to be upstaged by the private insurance, and the same people who bitch and moan about "Cadillac Plans" today would bitch and moan about the health care that those of us who pay extra would get that the "free" system doesn't offer.

I think, in the end, the only way a single payer system persists is in the absence or near absence of competition. You can't have the gainfully employed getting to see a doctor the day they get sick while those on the free system have to wait days for an appointment... No, everyone should wait days.

In the two tier system, which the GOP want to have, the sickest will have to wait weeks if not months which is ironic.

There is another option. Non profit health care like pre 1973 when there were private insurers but they were non profit.

Do you remember ?

I do.

Blame Congress for HMOs

Last edited:

The ACA allows insurance companies to pay up 3 times the amount for unhealthy lifestyle/pre existing conditions or age.

The concept of "spreading the cost " simply means I PAY YOUR SHARE !!!

That is arguable. My husband owns his own business , we have a high income and pay extra taxes for ACA/Obamacare. I care more about my fellow Americans getting affordable health care than an about 4 percent tax break for us at their expense.

That is arguable. My husband owns his own business , we have a high income and pay extra taxes for ACA/Obamacare. I care more about my fellow Americans getting affordable health care than an about 4 percent tax break for us at their expense.

NO ! That is the facts .

...or, we pay yours, if you are the misfortune one that happens sick. You don't know what the future holds. All the responsible living in the world will not erase death or have you immune to cancer, Alzheimer's or an accident.

You don't seem to understand insurance. Its spreading risk to lower costs for those with an insured claim.

No insured pays the full cost of a claim regardless of the type of insurance. They pay the expected value of a claim (full cost of a claim multipled by the odds of the claim plus administrative costs). Usually insurance is a bet you hope you lose (you pay out, but never have to have a claim.... because, who wants to have a claim?)

Last edited:

That is called citizenship..... living in a society and doing your fair share to contribute to that society, even if you don't get it back dollar for dollar. Well done!

A bevy of selfish persons can not form a truly civilized society.

Americans need to do more to control their weight and get more exercise.

You can't spend your whole life stuffing your face with cheeseburgers and sitting on the couch, and then be upset that an insurance company wants to charge you more than someone who eats healthy food and lives an active lifestyle.

Most "pre-existing conditions" are self inflicted due to being fat.

Americans need to do more to control their weight and get more exercise.

You can't spend your whole life stuffing your face with cheeseburgers and sitting on the couch, and then be upset that an insurance company wants to charge you more than someone who eats healthy food and lives an active lifestyle.

Most "pre-existing conditions" are self inflicted due to being fat.

Please climb down from you soap box and consider that a great deal of pre-existing conditions are as the result of things completely out of your control...including things like cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, diabetes, heart and other organ defects. You can't just pass everything off on "people need to be more responsible"

OTH, I do agree that people need to be more responsible. Part of responsibility is to participate in the society that has been so good you. Give back. Worry about those less fortunate than you.... someday, you could be one of those less fortunate.

Last edited:

Please climb down from you soap box and consider that a great deal of pre-existing are as the result of things completely out of your control...including things like cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, diabetes, heart and other organ defects. You can't just pass everything off on "people need to be more responsible"

OTH, I do agree that people need to be more responsible. Part of responsibility is to participate in the society that has been so go you. To give back; to worry about those less fortunate than you.... someday, you could be one of those less fortunate.

So if you've been a smoker your whole life, and you develop lung cancer, you should pay the same for insurance as someone who never smoked?

I'll grant you that some health conditions are out of your control.... but the vast majority of pre-existing conditions are self-inflicted.

So if you've been a smoker your whole life, and you develop lung cancer, you should pay the same for insurance as someone who never smoked?

I'll grant you that some health conditions are out of your control.... but the vast majority of pre-existing conditions are self-inflicted.

Smokers are charged up to 50 percent more under the ACA ( Obamacare) .

From this:

ObamaCare Gives Smokers a New Incentive to Quit

Although insurers can’t charge more for health status, they can charge up to 50% more for smoking status.

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-smokers/

...or, we pay yours, if you are the misfortune one that happens sick. You don't know what the future holds. All the responsible living in the world will not erase death or have you immune to cancer, Alzheimer's or an accident.

You don't seem to understand insurance. Its spreading risk to lower costs for those with an insured claim.

No insured pays the full cost of a claim regardless of the type of insurance. They pay the expected value of a claim (full cost of a claim multipled by the odds of the claim plus administrative costs). Usually insurance is a bet you hope you lose (you pay out, but never have to have a claim.... because, who wants to have a claim?)

And those that refuse to WORK continue their risky life choices and we pay .

And those that refuse to WORK continue their risky life choices and we pay .

Yep if they don't have insurance or Medicaid then they use the ERs that are really meant for people who may need true emergency care.

Do people think you should be able to call for car insurance after the accident? Why do they think an insurance company should sell them insurance at a healthy persons cost after they are sick and going to cost a fortune?

Do people think you should be able to call for car insurance after the accident? Why do they think an insurance company should sell them insurance at a healthy persons cost after they are sick and going to cost a fortune?

Hence there is currently a mandate to carry health insurance.

If insurance is not based on risk, its not insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hence there is currently a mandate to carry health insurance.

There is also mandate not to refuse "life saving" medical care for the lack of it or any other means to pay for it - EMTALA. The mandate to have medical care insurance is tied to (enforced by?) an income tax penalty, thus no income tax return filed = no medical care insurance mandate at all. In states that did not elect to expand Medicaid it is also fairly easy for uninsured low income folks to get a hardship exemption to the tax penalty even if they had some taxable income.

If you are going to put insurance under the private sector, or under capitalism, then it makes sense to put people with pre existing conditions under higher risk pools which would make them pay more. They are more likely to use insurance, then they are going to pay more.

Yes, I have this pre-existing condition.

I have this large growth in the middle of my face. It grew alarmingly while I was young. It seems to have stopped growing since I reached adulthood. But it still greatly concerns me.

Update: I just found out - that 'growth' is apparently something called a 'nose'. And it is not cancerous.

Whoo...what a relief.

If you are going to put insurance under the private sector, or under capitalism, then it makes sense to put people with pre existing conditions under higher risk pools which would make them pay more. They are more likely to use insurance, then they are going to pay more.

But sir according to very well known laws of Victim Culture......It's not their fault.

I see your point but dont expect to get far with it.

Yep if they don't have insurance or Medicaid then they use the ERs that are really meant for people who may need true emergency care.

Only those that work and are in the lower pay scale are the ones without insurance welfare freeloaders have everything at taxpayer expense .

Back
Top Bottom